[challenge/normal/medium]Shipwrecked Full Version

• 76 Replies

Offline PeppyHare4000

• My time in this forum is over...
    • View Profile
Re: [challenge/normal/medium]Shipwrecked Beta
« Reply #15 on: May 06, 2010, 04:17:09 »
My method on completing the impossible screen.
I climb the wall and let go then run to the opposite end right before the spider makes it to the right end. Afterwards, I climb the wall at the left end then jump down and back up to make him go right again then i make it to the void.

Suggestion to make it impossible to pass: Put purple spiders on both ends.

By the way, This was a great game overall. I like how
Spoiler: (click to show/hide)

I just might use the Beach and the Cave tileset for my upcoming project (If its okay with paul)

It had a good storyline and good enviroment. I do like a good lunatic level though. Good job, Kudos to you.
« Last Edit: May 06, 2010, 04:22:46 by PeppyHare4000 »

Offline Zudak

• Ulysses S. Grant
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 06, 2010, 06:54:14 »
Ah, I've just one. That was amazing. I did note a few minor spelling errors though, most noticeably "gaurds" rather the "guards".

But 'tis but a minor quibble. It was a fantastically fun little level. The tilesets are awesome, and that little flamenco guitar tune that plays while you're sneaking around Solid Snake style is gonna be stuck in my head a while, I think. >_>

Oh, on that note, the environmental sounds were also really excellent.

« Reply #17 on: May 06, 2010, 06:59:49 »
The spiders automatically run to the right to start, so one on each side wouldn't do any good. :P
Lurk more.

Offline egomassive

• View Profile
    • egomassive games
« Reply #18 on: May 06, 2010, 13:21:50 »
Spoiler: Purple Spider (click to show/hide)
By the way, I call it a Cave Horse. I wonder from time to time if Nifflas has names for all these things.

@Zudak: Grammar criticism is welcome. I forgot to spell check the game. I'm a terrible speller. Glad you liked it.

Offline bulbapuck

• One day hoping to become Venopuck
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 06, 2010, 21:23:33 »
@bulbapuck: I did make an effort to cite my code in the world.ini this time. I didn't explain why I did things but I did mark which code goes with which section of the game as I'm sure you're already aware. One of the main tricks I use is to set a flag representing multiple achievements. Hypothetically, you find Item-2, then Flag-2 is turned on and the game checks for Flag-1. If Flag-1 is true then Flag-3 is turned on as well. The same thing happens at Item-1. Later, if I want to know which items you have I check Flag-3, then Flag-2, and then Flag-1. I'll list what all the flags represent for you in the world.ini next update.

I would highly appreciate that :) Thank you!
Emma fell down a well - Enviromental KS level inspired by Salmoneous/Elder
Level in the works: Whitebow Island

« Reply #20 on: May 07, 2010, 01:28:35 »
By the way, I call it a Cave Horse. I wonder from time to time if Nifflas has names for all these things.
Incidentally enough, the official name of that enemy is Spider. :P
Lurk more.

Offline yohji

• View Profile
    • Jashiin's Portfolio
« Reply #21 on: May 07, 2010, 13:30:24 »
The shiftwork is absolutely astounding here, as is, well, everything else. I loved the environment, the sounds and the music, the gameplay, the plot... Juni the character was well-written, too! I also liked the visuals very much this time; the visuals were something I wasn't quite at home with in A Knytt in Time, but here every screen looks splendid. I'll be waiting eagerly for the final version, and I hope that the large level you were working on will be released eventually.

Offline Teper

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 08, 2010, 00:42:52 »
Bravo, bravo ! Great level, gameplay, tilesets, sounds, shifts, COs, and artwork on transition screens. Glad to see a level of this standard on those times of diclining interest for KS. If you permit, I'd make two complains:
Spoiler: (click to show/hide)
Excellent level probably one of the best ever

Offline egomassive

• View Profile
    • egomassive games
« Reply #23 on: May 08, 2010, 03:36:11 »
Version 0.4 for is available as an update. It's a small file that only includes the parts that have been changed since version 0.2. Just install normally and choose overwrite when prompted. It worked for me when I tested it.

@Yohji: I'm afraid to break this to you, but the massive level I'm working on looks more like A Knytt in Time than Shipwrecked. You can see some screen shots here. Oh, and I'm still taking musicians. So far, I think Razorman is the only one working on anything. Back on topic, Shipwrecked looks the way it does because the chief rule of the competition was to use a tileset made by Paul 'Ripen' Naumowicz on every screen. Since I used in game cutscenes, his tiles appear in them too.

@Teper: The problem with in game cutscenes is that the objects appear on screen briefly after you shift to a screen. That means the CO's I used to cover Juni reveal her for a moment. The game wasn't designed to play cutscenes this way. It's essentially a hack, and as with most hacks it doesn't work all that well. I briefly considered making the night scene darker. I decided it was fine the way it was.

Teper, you also hit on a point I haven't brought up yet. One of the reasons I decided to make this quick level is to strengthen the Kyntt Stories community. I'm working on my masterpiece, due end of this year/beginning of next. I want there to be a thriving community here to play it when it finally lurches into view.

Offline sergiocornaga

• View Profile
    • Sergio's Games
« Reply #24 on: May 08, 2010, 13:17:02 »

I got there too. Suggestion: put something interesting there!

Edit: ah, I see you already plan to. I'd be impressed if it led to something as big as another ending.
« Last Edit: May 08, 2010, 13:18:47 by sergiocornaga »

Offline Vegetal Gibber

• Sorry excuse for a game designer
    • View Profile
    • VG's Games Portfolio
« Reply #25 on: May 08, 2010, 14:47:39 »
I finally found some time to play this level (been a little busy with RL matters and my own new level). Now I can say it's definitely worth the praise :)  Very interesting theme, very clever use of shifts to make animated scripted cutscenes, nice challenges, good music/ambience and great use of the tileset. A bit short, but very enjoyable.

It's also very polished, considering the level's complexity and the fact it's been rushed to completion. I only ran into a wall-swim once, but fixed it quickly just by pressing CTRL+R:

Spoiler: Wall-swim (click to show/hide)

I don't really have any complaints. They only thing that disappointed me a little was the duration... but then again, you did fantastic considering the time restrictions you had to work under. Great job, egomassive. Looking forward to the final version, can't wait to play it again and get the alternate endings :D
Some KS levels by me:

Offline Healy

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 09, 2010, 00:15:10 »
I really liked this level. The way the island changes over time was definitely a nice touch, and the cutscenes were pretty good, though not flawless.

Offline theiza27

• 'allo!
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 09, 2010, 08:26:12 »
very nice :) reminds me of Harvest (by Farik)

Offline Feline Monstrosity

• Pussy cat, pussy cat..
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 09, 2010, 22:51:48 »
This level sounds awesome but I think I might wait until the final version to play it (I prefer to play completed levels to betas). How far towards completing it do you think you are?
"In the world there is nothing more submissive and weak than water. Yet for attacking that which is hard and strong nothing can surpass it. "  ~Lao Tzu

Offline Healy

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 10, 2010, 18:52:59 »
Egomassive, are you going to categorize the ambiance files in this level? I would like to use the animal sounds one, but I'm not sure which one it is.