[Roguelike] Dungeon Crawl Stone Soup

• 23 Replies

Offline Firecat

• Every bit is important.
    • View Profile
Re: [Roguelike] Dungeon Crawl Stone Soup
« Reply #15 on: September 02, 2010, 02:30:40 »
Well, once i discovered that this game actually differs "Shift-keys" it becomes quite addicting and enjoyable game. (Unless you play console mode, which key combinations becomes a bit too complicated)

My 5 best scores:
Spoiler: (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Best game intro ever (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: September 02, 2010, 02:43:55 by Firecat »
There's 110011 kinds of people in the world. Those who understand binary, Those who don't, and those who confuse it with ASCII.

« Reply #16 on: September 02, 2010, 07:45:12 »
Wait, is anyone still playing the Console version?

Offline Mr. Monkey

• jolly good fellow
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 02, 2010, 11:23:59 »
I play the console version on the internet; though, even if not online, I'd still prefer it over to tiles, which I find a bit yucky.  I used to play on crawl.develz.org but switched to crawl.akrasiac.org for the August tournament because of naming issues and stayed for lag avoidance.

If anyone's curious, I'm MrMrMonkey over there, and have won a few games (starting in August, in time with the tournament), including a consecutive win and one with all runes of zot. 8)

Though that's probably not impressive to anyone better at the game :(
« Last Edit: September 02, 2010, 11:26:05 by Mr. Monkey »
o__  o

Offline minmay

• View Profile
    • Cow Muffins
« Reply #18 on: September 03, 2010, 00:14:43 »
My best win only had 11 different runes, though I forget which ones exactly they were.  Specifically, I got
Spoiler: (click to show/hide)
That was with a spriggan air elementalist, 0.7.1.

And I've never managed anything close to a streak, so your win impresses me to some degree.

I prefer Tiles over console.  It's more that I like using the mouse, though, not out of a perceived need for GRAPHICS GRAPHICS GRAPHICS.  Also, I rarely play online because my Internet connection is very poor and routinely gives me unbearable pings.

Offline Firecat

• Every bit is important.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 03, 2010, 01:19:51 »
I prefer Tiles over console.  It's more that I like using the mouse, though, not out of a perceived need for GRAPHICS GRAPHICS GRAPHICS.
Me too, the inventory cut down half of the confusing game combination. But the ASCII one make things more free for interpretation.
There's 110011 kinds of people in the world. Those who understand binary, Those who don't, and those who confuse it with ASCII.

Offline Mr. Monkey

• jolly good fellow
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 03, 2010, 02:42:43 »
The streak game was a deep dwarf necromancer of Makhleb, which is pretty broken.  I tried to follow it up with a spriggan enchanter of Kikubaaqudgha but got cocky and died after failing to stab Gastronok to death.  I did get a ghost kill out of it though.

On my allruner (merfolk transmuter of Kikubaaqudgha) I switched to Jiyva near the end to get the slimy rune easily because I didn't want to bother with all the tight passages made of acidic walls rubbish.  As for the Pandemonium and Hell lords killed, I only bothered with Mnoleg, Dispater, and some odd randomly generated panlord guarding a demonic rune.  I would have gone for Lom Lobon too, but I was a bit afraid of being ice stormed, and rather wanted not to die, so I just grabbed the rune and ran.

Regarding mouse usage, I personally dislike it, because it means I have to move my hand away from the keyboard.  I use hjklyubn for movement etc., if that matters at all.
o__  o

Offline minmay

• View Profile
    • Cow Muffins
« Reply #21 on: September 12, 2010, 22:39:19 »
I managed a 15-rune win today.  Granted, it was with one of the easier combinations (sludge elf transmuter).  Also, I left all of the unique Pan and Hell lords alive, except for Antaeus and Mnoleg.  It was with an 0.8 development version, but I can't think of anything about that which would make it significantly easier or harder - maybe absence of ghosts, but I've never died to one of my own ghosts since 0.5.

Spoiler: boring numbers (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: more boring numbers (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: map (click to show/hide)

Amusingly, I had to fight one Pan lord to pick up my runes peacefully, only for another one to appear one turn later.
I was in lich form for Tomb, all of the Hells and most of Zot, plus the orb run, but not any other branches.

Offline Mr. Monkey

• jolly good fellow
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 13, 2010, 03:49:35 »
I'd be a bit afraid of doing most of Tartarus necromutated; how were the Shadow Fiends (though I recall them being pushovers with blade hands, even without hasting beforehand)?  For Ereshkigal herself, though, I think the extra magic resistance from necromutation would help a good lot against paralysis.  I recall being paralyzed once on the way to grab the bone rune; luckily, nothing too dangerous was around.
o__  o

Offline minmay

• View Profile
    • Cow Muffins
« Reply #23 on: September 13, 2010, 16:23:42 »
By the time I did Tartarus I had 200 HP and 27 Unarmed Combat, so shadow fiends ' dispel wasn't a huge threat; I could always end the transformation if I ended up low on HP.  Better than dealing with torment, though.

I had tons of MR even without Necromutation, so paralysis wouldn't have been a problem, but I didn't wake up Ereshkigal anyway.  I probably could have killed her easily, but was afraid of the Fiends that happened to spawn next to her.