egomassive's Knytt Stories Plus mod

• 1097 Replies

Offline egomassive

• View Profile
    • egomassive games
Re: egomassive's Knytt Stories Plus mod
« Reply #975 on: December 26, 2017, 20:20:17 »
Get Level Editor Plus 1.3.2

Updated the script pad search function so that capitalization is accepted. *gives star to Sergio*

I forgot that I had been fixing some erroneous help messages in a version never released to the public, 1.3.1. I'm not sure where I left things off with that. So, there may be some corrections or there may be additional errors. :huh:

Offline Wibi

• apologies for the interference
    • View Profile
« Reply #976 on: December 28, 2017, 19:24:30 »
I found an editor bug: if multiple transparent tiles are identical and stacked on each other (in different layers), the editor will only display one of them while the game will overlay them as normal.

With layers 0 and 1 used for the transparent tiles, here's how the editor shows them:

And here is how the game shows them:

Offline Vegetal Gibber

• Sorry excuse for a game designer
    • View Profile
    • VG's Games Portfolio
« Reply #977 on: December 28, 2017, 20:32:07 »
That one is a known issue from the original level editor, but it seems that fixing this could have caused lag issues (according to these posts). You can use the preview functionality (hold down Spacebar) as a workaround, though. The preview window renders stacked transparent tiles correctly.
« Last Edit: December 28, 2017, 20:44:23 by Vegetal Gibber »
Some KS levels by me:

Offline egomassive

• View Profile
    • egomassive games
« Reply #978 on: January 02, 2018, 05:27:48 »
Rumor has it that Nifflas has retired from the internet. Since KS+ requires the previous installation of KS, and the website where you got KS is down I'm thinking I should host it on my website. I should also alter the links within KS+ that are dead-links now. My big question is, should I also alter the dead-links within original KS? And, where should they take you? And, what else should I host?
« Last Edit: January 02, 2018, 05:29:19 by egomassive »

Offline Vegetal Gibber

• View Profile
    • VG's Games Portfolio
« Reply #979 on: January 19, 2018, 16:47:22 »
I've been having some issues with the "intro music" feature. When I leave a screen while the intro song is still playing and then enter it again, the music just stops abruptly as soon as the intro track ends and the song that is supposed to follow is never played. Additionally, it seems that exiting the area and re-entering it again after this happens doesn't cause the BGM to start playing again. Is there any workaround for this (other than adding shifts with the "Stop music" flag on)?
Some KS levels by me:

Offline egomassive

• View Profile
    • egomassive games
« Reply #980 on: January 20, 2018, 16:25:59 »
Get Knytt Stories Plus 1.3.2

There are 3 changes to the program this time.
  • First, I fixed the problem VG just found with intro music. I had a couple lines I believe were meant to guard against accidentally trying to load a song when it shouldn't. But, they were clearly the cause of this issue.
  • Second, Flag(All) can now be set to Flags and Powers as well as the original True. This means you can check for up to 4 things. I made this change because there are 4 keys. (I just realized I should have updated the instructions file.)
  • Third, the external links found in the program are now stored in the Settings.ini. They'll be added the first time you run the new version. Nifflas recently deleted his website which broke the original links, so I changed them to locations on my website. Nifflas appears to be restoring his site, but the original links are still broken. Unfortunately, the new links are broken because I haven't created the pages they link to yet. It's an embarrassing state of affairs, but I felt it was important to get the bug fix out for VG.

Offline Wibi

• View Profile
« Reply #981 on: January 20, 2018, 16:55:06 »
Hopefully this doesn't come across as brash... is there any reason timed triggers aren't a thing yet? E.g. set a trigger to wait X milliseconds before spawning its object and activating spawn/delete objects. I'm trying to make a Deep Freeze-ish thing where blocks disappear 3 seconds after you activate a trigger spot, and I don't want to use shifts because that might mess with animated objects on the screen.

Offline egomassive

• View Profile
    • egomassive games
« Reply #982 on: January 20, 2018, 18:16:33 »
is there any reason timed triggers aren't a thing yet?

I guess I never thought there was a need. I created timed Shifts because I wanted to simplify and improve something people were doing with the original KS. Adding timing to Triggers would be a big undertaking, because so many things are interconnected. It's not the kind of change I want to make at this point. I intend only to perform maintenance (although I did just make a change to Flags.)

Deep Freeze is a level that pushes the boundaries of what's possible with KS+. It sounds like you're trying to go a step further. I'm sure this isn't the solution you're looking for, but KS Extended can do almost anything.

Offline Vegetal Gibber

• View Profile
    • VG's Games Portfolio
« Reply #983 on: January 20, 2018, 18:35:24 »
First, I fixed the problem VG just found with intro music. I had a couple lines I believe were meant to guard against accidentally trying to load a song when it shouldn't. But, they were clearly the cause of this issue.

Working like a charm now. Thanks, ego!
Some KS levels by me:

« Reply #984 on: January 21, 2018, 01:39:01 »
I'm so happy this thing exists... I used to make maps a long time ago and I'm back at it again! Happy building everyone!  :D
The Frenchy

Offline Wibi

• View Profile
« Reply #985 on: February 24, 2018, 17:54:15 »
It would be useful if there was some way to invert the direction an artifact warp takes you in. E.g. FlagWarpY(A)=Artifact1 brings you down 2 screens if you have 2 red artifacts, FlagWarpY(A)=-Artifact1 brings you up 2 screens if you have 2 red artifacts. Mainly suggesting this because I'm working on a large collab level that relies on KS+ and there's not a whole lot of space to go around when it comes to flag warping. It just makes sense, I guess.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2018, 18:00:04 by canteven »

Offline egomassive

• View Profile
    • egomassive games
« Reply #986 on: February 25, 2018, 21:56:09 »
@canteven: Using both coordinates is the key. Here's the example from the Features Demonstration level
Code: [Select]
Flag(A)=True
FlagWarpX(A)=-20
FlagWarpY(A)=Artifact1
Use one direction to get you away from the map and the other direction to perform the Artifact function. You'll need to have a room in the original location to hold this code, even thought the player will never see it.

Additional tip: When Making big maps, you can move 100 screens in the editor using Ctrl+Shift+ArrowKey. If you place duplicates 100 screens away there's little chance you'll run into them as you expand your map.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2018, 22:03:28 by egomassive »

Offline sergiocornaga

• View Profile
    • Sergio's Games
« Reply #987 on: March 01, 2018, 10:47:07 »
Some issues I've run into lately:

1) If I play a level, reset the game, and then try to reinstall/update that same level from a knytt.bin file I get a "Could not pack file" error. If MMF has a simple way to clear file I/O (typing that made me consider deleting this entire paragraph) then this might be worth fixing, otherwise it's not hard to just close and reopen the game. Oh, and I just checked and original KS does this too, so it's probably not related to differences in how KS+ resets. Anyway… I doubt many people will encounter this error, so please don't spend much time even thinking about it.

2) I tried making a Bank 9 Object 4 override CO using a modified spritesheet ripped from KSDS (attached), but it just doesn't seem to animate properly. Am I doing something wrong, or is KS+ doing something wrong?
« Last Edit: March 01, 2018, 14:02:35 by sergiocornaga »

Offline Vegetal Gibber

• View Profile
    • VG's Games Portfolio
« Reply #988 on: March 01, 2018, 11:32:24 »
About the second issue: ego told me some time ago that not every spritesheet from KSDS could be used as-is for OCOs, because there are some cases where the animation sequences don't match. According to the KS+ instructions text file, it seems that particular object requires 3 more frames of animation (the flower closing). It might work fine if you simply duplicate the last three frames and reverse their order.
Some KS levels by me:

Offline sergiocornaga

• View Profile
    • Sergio's Games
« Reply #989 on: March 01, 2018, 14:02:03 »
Thanks VG! I completely forgot that information was in the KS+ instructions, and the animation is working fine now.