[Exploration/Narrative] Looming

• 2 Replies

Offline Yukabacera

• Tasen Soldier (LL868:ALDK)
    • View Profile
    • The Yukabacera Files
[Exploration/Narrative] Looming
« on: October 16, 2010, 23:06:33 »
Looming is a game where you walk around an oppressive, monochrome world collecting forgotten personal effects of dead people. Holy sh*t what were they smoking?

Looming is a game about the eponymous world, and a man called September who regularly visits and explores it, and his lover, January (while the game does not mention this, we can assume he also regularly visits and explores January *wink wink nudge nudge*). Since I haven't actually finished the game yet (I'll get you, damn last tally bead! I got your pals, "sixteens" and "thirty-twos", and you will not continue to elude me, dammit!), I don't know what it's really supposed to be about and what message is it trying to convey. (get a 256-color monitor, new from Sparq Electronics? Who knows.)

Well, okay, explaining it would kinda ruin the whole mood. There's various artifacts scattered around the world, including tally beads, parts of a diagram, bones of a long-dead creature...stuff like that. There are several different endings (I believe the title screen tracks which ones you got), and to see them all you must fully explore the world, finding the aforementioned artifacts, hidden signposts, landmarks and such. As far as I see, there are no puzzles (except a potential puzzle involving some rotating lights) and the entirety of Looming is open to you from the start.

The controls are mentioned in the game, and there really isn't anything else you need to know. I'll get a walkthrough up here as soon as I finish this game.

Play it here: http://www.newgrounds.com/portal/view/541333

Screenshot:

=|=
:hiddenstar: My only one.

Offline Firecat

• Every bit is important.
    • View Profile
Re: [Exploration/Narrative] Looming
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2010, 01:25:11 »
Nice game, i got all but 2 endings (the "strange messages"[i cant get past the one that says "go to a off path at the west"] and the diagram ones)
There's 110011 kinds of people in the world. Those who understand binary, Those who don't, and those who confuse it with ASCII.

Offline AA

• Was ITA84
    • View Profile
    • Insight on Videogames
Re: [Exploration/Narrative] Looming
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2010, 09:24:40 »
I played through this game a while ago, with all the endings (but only with some external help; I'm pretty sure there was a walkthrough already). I can't really remember the full story, maybe it was a little disappointing; it's a nice, immesive game of exploration, but I think I read too much into the relationship between September and January, for in the end there wasn't much to it, if I remember correctly.

Definitely an interactive experience worth trying, as long as you don't mind lots of walking or have trouble telling the beads apart from the small animal... creatures... whatever those small moving dots are
Videogames are for everyone, by everyone