Enemies?

• 33 Replies

Offline minmay

• View Profile
    • Cow Muffins
Re: Enemies?
« Reply #15 on: November 16, 2010, 17:59:15 »
A "rotating camera" sensor would be nice; it would rotate at a constant (somewhat slow) speed, seeing whatever's in front of it at the time.  It would be cool to put more than one on a single enemy for the same weapon, if that's possible.

In a similar vein, a laser that turns on, sweeps 45 degrees in one direction, and turns off would be a neat weapon - perhaps it could be fired instantly when it sees the player, but would always start 22.5 degrees off in one direction, meaning you'd have to run the other way fast.  (0.5/0.25 second delay before it starts sweeping?)

Offline NESgamer190

• X-com's nightmare: Chryssalid.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 16, 2010, 19:55:30 »
I suppose I can give some suggestions on sensors and whatnot...
sensors
Radiation sensor:  Any radiation will be detected.
Silicon sensor:  Identifies all metallic substances as friendly, and will NOT harm others.
Radius sensor:  Any threat within X tiles of the machine will trigger it.  Don't get too close.
Contact sensor:  Touch the machine, and you're detected.
Engines
Terminator:  Once the machine has found its target, it will pursue the other target until it gets destroyed, or it evades the machine.
Eluder:  If the machine detects a hostile, it will fly AWAY from the intruder, so as to avoid getting nailed horribly.

Weaponry
Grenade launcher:  Launches grenades that will explode after a set time.
Alarm:  It will alert other robots on the location of the protagonist, easily making life harder for the player
Ice spray:  A basic melee attack that will chill the victims caught in it.
Tractor beam:  Picks up anything caught by the beam, and grabbed object can be used as a projectile or melee.
Rapid construction device:  More of an utility weapon than anything, this will quickly construct (Derp!) blocks to hinder progress.  Just don't get crushed.
Teleportation weapon:  Getting hit by this gun's projectile won't kill, but it will warp you about into some location, usually a jail or death pit.
Trap platform:  If some unsuspecting object should be on this when a sensor is triggered, it will suddenly become outright lethal with an electrical current.
Hope these ideas will help, and I sincerely apologize about the wall o' text.
Unretired.
http://nesgamer7190.deviantart.com/ (My DeviantArt Account.  Behold my not too good artistics.)
  (Mafia 9 pie maniac)

I really have nothing going for me for creative signatures.

Offline LPChip

• You can only truly help other people by allowing them to fail.
  • Excel at the thing you're the best at!
    • View Profile
    • LPChip Interactive
« Reply #17 on: November 17, 2010, 11:41:31 »
Engine:
It would be cool to have movement engines that are based on the surrounding.

Like: always move into one direction until it hits a wall, then always turn left/always turn right/turn 180 degrees/randomly turn left or right and repeat cycle. (remember the spikey blocks from KS?)

Weapon:
Not sure if this is a weapon or engine. It would be cool if you have an enemy that moves. If it collides with you, it will push you away. If you get between a wall and this object, it will crush you. So you get a chance to get away from it. Speed could be a variable here, or more options so each option has a speed assigned to it. (not sure how that works in the game)

I suppose it could even be like this: weapon: push_and_crush or instant kill, combined with the engine above.
« Last Edit: November 17, 2010, 11:43:05 by LPChip »
on the left, above my avatar.

MODPlug Central Forum
"If I tried to kill you, I'd end up with a big fat hole through my laptop." - Chironex

Offline PONTO

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 17, 2010, 11:42:27 »
Engine:

Like: always move into one direction until it hits a wall, then always turn left/always turn right/randomly turn left or right and repeat cycle.
That's like the drones in N. xD

Offline LPChip

• You can only truly help other people by allowing them to fail.
  • Excel at the thing you're the best at!
    • View Profile
    • LPChip Interactive
« Reply #19 on: November 17, 2010, 11:43:33 »
Engine:

Like: always move into one direction until it hits a wall, then always turn left/always turn right/randomly turn left or right and repeat cycle.
That's like the drones in N. xD

Yeah, although I was actually thinking of the spike blocks from KS :D
on the left, above my avatar.

MODPlug Central Forum
"If I tried to kill you, I'd end up with a big fat hole through my laptop." - Chironex

Offline Nifflas

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 17, 2010, 12:05:21 »

Technically, that would be a sensor that percieves the player at a location that changes once it touches a wall, an engine can not decide on its own where to go. Still, should be fully possible to add that, so thanks for the suggestion!

Radius sensor:  Any threat within X tiles of the machine will trigger it.  Don't get too close.
That one exists already, actually even under the same name :)

Eluder:  If the machine detects a hostile, it will fly AWAY from the intruder, so as to avoid getting nailed horribly.
Ooh, that's a clever one! I guess the best implementation would be a radius sensor that percieves the player on the opposite direction of the sensor that the player is actually located.

Alarm:  It will alert other robots on the location of the protagonist, easily making life harder for the player
That's also a really clever one. The best way to do that would be a "sender" weapon, that sends out the player position detected by the sub-sensor of the same robot. Then, other robots should be able to have a "receiver" sensor, so they'll begin to approach or shoot the player.
« Last Edit: November 17, 2010, 12:09:39 by Nifflas »

Offline AClockworkLemon

• -Inactive-
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 17, 2010, 14:12:27 »
This system is freaking brilliant. i might have to borrow it at some point in the future!
I'm not dead. Not entirely. And yes, I'm embarrassed by most of the posts I made here.
:hiddenstar: - From Pumpkinbot

Offline jetio4

• :hug:
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 17, 2010, 19:52:51 »
How about a sensor that only senses certain things, or senses everything BUT a certain thing? Like that one cat in WaDF1.
As in, if your Knytt you won't get hit. Or only Knytt WOULD be hit.
Also, how about an enemy that makes you change? As in if your Knytt you would be turned into basic ball, and can't turn back for x seconds. THAT would be annoying! ;)
Hey there Delilah, what's it like in New York City, I'm a thousand miles away but girl tonight you look so pretty, yes you do~<br /><br />Time Square can't shine as bright as you, I swear it's true~

Offline Pick Yer Poison

• One cool cat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 18, 2010, 17:12:58 »
Radius sensor:  Any threat within X tiles of the machine will trigger it.  Don't get too close.
That one exists already, actually even under the same name :)

Eluder:  If the machine detects a hostile, it will fly AWAY from the intruder, so as to avoid getting nailed horribly.
Ooh, that's a clever one! I guess the best implementation would be a radius sensor that percieves the player on the opposite direction of the sensor that the player is actually located.

No fair, I suggested those first. :<

Offline jetio4

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 19, 2010, 01:47:46 »
This is less of an enemy and more of a projectile: A shot that shoots out BLOCKS, which keep going straight, or otherwise intended. These blocks can push you off platforms, knock into you in mid-air, or even BE platforms. In fact, a skilled player could even Wall Jump off of them!!! C)
Hey there Delilah, what's it like in New York City, I'm a thousand miles away but girl tonight you look so pretty, yes you do~<br /><br />Time Square can't shine as bright as you, I swear it's true~

Offline Yonowaaru

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 19, 2010, 16:32:04 »
Maybe a thing that goes down quickly when under it?
Like, an eagle or something?

Offline GrayFace

• View Profile
    • my site
« Reply #26 on: November 19, 2010, 20:18:27 »
Main sensor:
All may have a cooldown value and initial cooldown counter.
1) Never active. Used by a standing monster or monster that doesn't shoot.
2) Always active. Used by those creatures that come out of water and shoot (bank 18, object 6).
3) Activate when Juni is in specified radius.
4) Activate when Juni is in specified rect.
5) Activate when Juni is in specified region, set up as a picture.
6) Activate when Juni faces in the direction to or from the monster.
7) Activate when Juni jumps.

However, I'm thinking in another direction:
Make a list of actions sequences, like in MMF2:
1) Sensor - if the sensor is not active, stop the sequence.
2) Is (not) projectile - continue sequence only if it's (not) a projectile.
3) Engine - do the movement (like straight line "unstoppable" movement or "look ahead" fly movement).
4) Shoot - create the projectile.
5) Destroy - destroy the object/projectile.

Example: bank 18, object 6.
2 sequences:
1)
  • For object.
  • Sensor: cooldown.
  • Engine - show animation of coming from water.
  • Shoot first projectile (position, direction, speed).
  • Shoot second projectile (position, direction, speed).
  • Engine - show animation of going into water.

2)
  • For projectile.
  • Engine - fly around player.
  • Destroy.

Example: bank 14, object 13.
2 sequences:
1)
  • For object.
  • Sensor: Juni isn't too far away (in some radius or rect).
  • Sensor: Juni looks in the direction of monster.
  • Engine: run away from Juni a bit.

2)
  • For object.
  • Sensor: Juni isn't too far away (in some radius or rect).
  • Sensor: Juni looks in the opposite direction from monster.
  • Engine: run in the direction of Juni.

Example: crosshair laser from N.
1)
  • For object.
  • Sensor: crosshair.
  • Engine: Play shooting animation and sound.
  • Shoot in Juni's directin.

2)
  • For projectile.
  • Sensor: Initial cooldown counter (the time that the laser ray will be on)
  • Destroy.
« Last Edit: November 19, 2010, 20:22:14 by GrayFace »

« Reply #27 on: November 23, 2010, 19:37:31 »
Who said anything about Juni being the main character?

Anyways, how about a tile that explodes or something when a certain character steps on it? I unno if that is possible, but...

Lemme guess. This idea has already been mentioned, amirite?

Offline TheDarkOne

• Darkness...
    • View Profile
    • Scratch Account
« Reply #28 on: January 03, 2011, 05:35:42 »
I have an idea, a flying bug-like thing. It has an eye and a feeler, wings, and a big, nasty stinger.

Offline jetio4

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 02, 2011, 20:12:29 »
I have an idea, a flying bug-like thing. It has an eye and a feeler, wings, and a big, nasty stinger.
Uhhh, a bee?

How about creature that looks innocent the first time you see it, but randomly does something to kill you.