Captive Miners Custom Objects COs

• 5 Replies

Offline egomassive

• View Profile
    • egomassive games
Captive Miners Custom Objects COs
« on: January 18, 2011, 08:45:53 »
In honor of the new custom content sub-forums I put together a small collection of COs I made.

These are custom objects I made for my level, Shipwrecked. They are animated versions of tiles in Paul (Ripen) Naumowicz' A Beach and a Cave tileset, which are adaptations of original Knytt Stories objects. Therefore you can use them in your Knytt Stories levels if you give credit to egomassive, Ripen, and Nifflas.

I went for a lo-fi approach on these. The animated gifs are only representational of the in game movement. In the zip file you will find 4 png files and a text file containing instructions for the 15 different animations these little guys are capable of. Enjoy.

Offline SiamJai

• View Profile
    • A gaming blog like no other.
Re: Captive Miners Custom Objects COs
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2011, 09:28:14 »
Nice work, very nice - thanks for sharing! :)

I especially like how the same sprites can have multiple -and sometimes quite different- animations just by applying alternative codes to the same spritesheet. Like the worker can be working, looking back and cheering, and even two cheering workers do it differently.

« Last Edit: January 18, 2011, 09:45:07 by SiamJai »

Offline Vinterrun

• Schniggedi Schnapp die Daumen sind ab!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2011, 11:40:31 »
Very nice Co's but why don't you use the new official CO topic?
under re-construction:

Coming late:

Starwale *pun*

Offline egomassive

• View Profile
    • egomassive games
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2011, 14:08:03 »
Thanks SiamJai.  In Shipwrecked I used 58 images to create 90 custom objects. If a frame of animation was going to be used in more than one CO I tried to combine the sprite sheets. If these topics are popular I'll dry to dig out everything I think isn't too level specific. By the way, what software did you make your animated gif with? It takes me quite a while to convert sprite sheets to animations in Gimp. The 4th and 6th animations aren't working properly in your image.

@ Vinterrun: I meant no offense by not posting in the thread you started. I thought this sub-forum was started for essentially the same reasons you started your thread. I don't mind reposting in your thread, but I do like to get feedback on my work. :)

Offline SiamJai

• View Profile
    • A gaming blog like no other.
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2011, 14:28:09 »
By the way, what software did you make your animated gif with? It takes me quite a while to convert sprite sheets to animations in Gimp. The 4th and 6th animations aren't working properly in your image.

Oops, now that you mention...:oops:   For this one, I used Camtasia to record it straight from KS, and then fine-tuned the exported gif in Fireworks. But when it comes to individual sprites, I just reconstruct the gif from the spritesheet in Fireworks.

Also, I remember that LightningEagle posted a Javascript-based spritesheet animator somewhere on the forums earlier that might be handy for things like this. I'll look it up and update this post. (Edit: yep, here it is: spritesheet animator)

Vinterrun, how about using that topic as a CO directory, with links to already existing CO topics in the first post, in addition to COs posted by people who don't want to make separate posts?
« Last Edit: January 18, 2011, 15:08:52 by SiamJai »

Offline Vinterrun

• Schniggedi Schnapp die Daumen sind ab!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2011, 15:18:29 »
Thanks SiamJai.  In Shipwrecked I used 58 images to create 90 custom objects. If a frame of animation was going to be used in more than one CO I tried to combine the sprite sheets. If these topics are popular I'll dry to dig out everything I think isn't too level specific. By the way, what software did you make your animated gif with? It takes me quite a while to convert sprite sheets to animations in Gimp. The 4th and 6th animations aren't working properly in your image.

@ Vinterrun: I meant no offense by not posting in the thread you started. I thought this sub-forum was started for essentially the same reasons you started your thread. I don't mind reposting in your thread, but I do like to get feedback on my work. :)

Nah I'm not insulted  C)p do it as you like I was just wondering ;)
under re-construction:

Coming late:

Starwale *pun*