Shift Screen from a separate room

• 5 Replies

Offline Bexy

• Wat?
    • View Profile
Shift Screen from a separate room
« on: January 26, 2011, 17:19:39 »
Greetings Knytters

I've doing my best to figure out shifters and warps. I've searched the forum, encountered silimar problems but cannot figure out the explanations or apply the solutions succesfully.
So now I turn to you.

My problem is this:

Knytt sees a sealed room (1002x986) where an item is inside. She goes to the neighbouring room  (1003x986) and spots a shift. Upon activating it, the previous room (1002x986) is supposed to be replaced with a new room (1002x985) where a path is revealed. When pressing the same shift again the old room switches back in place (1002x986).

The shift however doesn't peform the switch. I'm preffering the world manager since I can't understand the .ini-codes yet.

Thank you for answering.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2011, 17:35:47 by Bexy »
The person who writes for fools is always sure of a large audience.

Offline LPChip

• You can only truly help other people by allowing them to fail.
  • Excel at the thing you're the best at!
    • View Profile
    • LPChip Interactive
Re: Shift Screen from a separate room
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2011, 17:32:30 »
A shift is not used to change a room. It could possibly work with flags, but the solution to your problem is most likely much simpler.

Generally speaking, a shift is used to transport you to another room.

What you want to do is make an identical copy of the room that the shift is in, and use the first room with shift to transport you to this identical room.

You can chose to have a shift to warp you back, but you can also choose to not do this, so you can't get back to the first version of that room unless from another location using another shift.
on the left, above my avatar.

MODPlug Central Forum
"If I tried to kill you, I'd end up with a big fat hole through my laptop." - Chironex

Offline Bexy

• Wat?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2011, 17:43:10 »
Thank you for the quick reply, of course it would be flags I were referring to. I haven't learned all the correct terms yet. Your solution is definitly doable. I have experimented with shifts for teleportation use and I hoped this small practice would help me learn flags. I'm only wishing to change one room in one huge level and hoping not it would require having a copy of the entire level just to do this minor change.

So anyone can explain in baby steps on how to mix with flags. Where do I find flags, for example.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2011, 17:45:50 by Bexy »

Offline Firecat

• Every bit is important.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2011, 18:31:11 »
Alright, so you want to Screen A redirect to Screen B while you can still access to the whole level from both screens?

Then, you will need flags.

First at the screen with the shift (x1003y986), You must make the shift enable the, lets say, the flag 0 with the Flag On option (Circled Red in the attachment).
Then in the screen with the powerup (x1002y986) You click in the Flag A radio and then select Flag 0 in the drop down list (Circled green) and then you, in your case, must input in Target Y (Circled yellow) 985 or in Map Y (Also Yellow) -1. So the "Targets" end up something like (x1002y985).
Then, if you want to enable (x1002y986) again you just have to put Flag 0 in the Flag Off option (Circled Blue).

I hope I make relatively clear, also remember that sometimes the best its to Trial and Error yourself.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2011, 18:52:24 by Firecat »
There's 110011 kinds of people in the world. Those who understand binary, Those who don't, and those who confuse it with ASCII.

Offline Bexy

• Wat?
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2011, 19:13:15 »
Alright, so you want to Screen A redirect to Screen B while you can still access to the whole level from both screens?

Then, you will need flags.

Indeed I do.

Followup question: So shall I put the object 20 (system 0) in every related screen?

Offline Firecat

• Every bit is important.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2011, 00:25:25 »
Followup question: So shall I put the object 20 (system 0) in every related screen?
Someone correct me if i wrong, but i think the ""Warp Object" only its necessary on Warps.  in case you dont know what warps are:
  • Warps:Make one screen so that if you leave that screen in a given direction you will always enter a screen that doesn't necessarily is the neighboring screen. They require the object 20.
  • Flags:Make one screen so that if you enter that screen you will enter a different screen instead if the condition is met.

Warp example:if you exit from the left in the screen x1000y1000 you will normally go to x999y1000 but with warps you can make so you go to x999y999, or x250y100, or anywhere really. while x998x1000 can still reach x999y1000.
There's 110011 kinds of people in the world. Those who understand binary, Those who don't, and those who confuse it with ASCII.