[Playground]"Dodging is fun!" A level made out of boredom for bored people

• 4 Replies
WARNING: This level was made specifically for those moments where you'd normally start playing Solitaire because you don't have anything else to do. If you're looking for an actual attempt at level design, go play a different level. And besides, KS died off in 2012 apparently it didn't.

Dodging projectiles in video games, as we all know, is kinda fun. Like this! That game is fun, right? And that particular boss battle is the best thing ever, right? Right? Riiiiiiight?

So on the school bus, out of boredom, i decided to make a short little "level" with a lot of projectiles to dodge, like a more difficult Jumpin' n' Stuff. I wanted to have as much projectiles on the screen as i could, while avoiding having too many. What happened? I had too many, and... just play it. You'll see.

This is a download link. You know, a link for downloading things.

Screenshots will not be given, as not knowing what to expect is part of what makes it so nice-ish. Kinda like that level where you don't eat the mushroom. (What was it called again?)

Credits:
Level design by frigging Santa Claus. How many people do you know that would do this?
Tileset by egomassive, whose ego may or may not be massive. You can get it here. Not here here, but where it takes you when you click the link.
Gradient by the same person with the same ego. You can also get it "here".
Music is Necrofantastica by some guy named Azure, taken directly from Another World's Chaos, a game he's working on.

This post needs more italics. Also, another quick little warning: If you think of this as an actual challenge, you're screwed.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2013, 13:46:47 by StraightFlame »

Offline Fubaka

• We are the music makers.
    • View Profile
    • My Music Page
I'm not sure why you even bothered with this.  (Yes, I played it)

Also, there are several people (including me) who are still working on KS levels.  By my sight, KS level making won't truly be dead until the Level Editor for Knytt Underground is up and running.

Also, I hope you got permission to use that song.
Things to remember when writing figures of speech and sound:
The power of poetry comes from the ability to defy logic. Defy logic often.

Use a metaphor and tell us that your lover is the sky. Tell us that your lover is the sky. When you do that, we won't believe you. We won't believe you because saying so makes no sense, but we'll see a meaning. We'll see a meaning.

The other thing is the ability to be remembered. Love anything.

Love anything

Offline Widget

• View Profile
Also, there are several people (including me) who are still working on KS levels.  By my sight, KS level making won't truly be dead until the Level Editor for Knytt Underground is up and running.

I think even then... KS has the same advantages over KU that it had over Saira, in terms of level creation; simplicity, ease of use and a shallow learning curve. There's also the precise, simple elegance of KS as a platformer engine and the fact it's free to download.

I'd love to see levels for KU springing up like weeds as much as the next person but I don't think it's likely to be a replacement for KS.

Offline Polana

• LOCP and proud
    • View Profile
I hope I will never be so bored to see being killed in KS as a fun (maybe I missed something).

I won't stop making levels for KS, because I have no way how to purchase KU in the present. I also prefer KS's appearence, simplicity and mechanics of Juni's movement. Saira or FiNCK didn't replace it, so why should KU do ?
There is also strong backstory in KU, that will influence potential new levels, but in KS is almost none, so you can make anything you want to.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2013, 16:39:46 by Polana »

Offline Headgrinder

• Smart Steel Polisher
    • View Profile
    • www.matthewepperson.wordpress.com
Ironically I'm unlikely to play this particular level because dodging bullet hells is hell to me, but I agree with everything else that is being said here. XD  I want to be making KS levels, but have not the time right now, what with a 2 month old and a 3 year old.  X-0