[Platformer] depict1

• 8 Replies
[Platformer] depict1
« on: May 17, 2011, 09:30:56 »
Type: Platformer

Description:
This game has been described in many ways, such as "an unusual platformer where you battle a sinister trickster to discover the truth" and "an ominous re-imagining of classic platforming games that will have you questioning your sanity". It's also been stated that it will make you hate games in general. Now, it's really not that hard or dramatic, although far from everyone makes it to the actual ending. However I find it very crisp and clean, the gameplay is fun and different and if you feel like it you can easily squeeze a little social criticism about how we all follow orders and the fine line between gaming and meta gaming etc. etc. out of this apple. I don't feel like that though, I'll just settle with "this is a cool game, try it out".

Developer: Kyle Pulver a.k.a xerus (music by Alec Holowka)

Spoiler: Screenshots: (click to show/hide)

Download: http://globalgamejam.org/sites/default/files/uploads/2010/7429/depict1_v1_00.zip
Born to fight evil and people I don't like!

Offline jetio4

• :hug:
    • View Profile
Re: [Platformer] depict1
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2011, 14:52:42 »
Oh, this game. I knew it sounded familiar. I loved it. I didn't get the true ending until I read some comments somewhere, but it's awesome.
I like this theme in general, the one that you're stuck somewhere and a secret someone "helps" you. They mostly betray you, though. Great game, glad it's here now.

« Last Edit: May 17, 2011, 21:55:42 by jetio4 »
Hey there Delilah, what's it like in New York City, I'm a thousand miles away but girl tonight you look so pretty, yes you do~<br /><br />Time Square can't shine as bright as you, I swear it's true~

Offline AA

• Was ITA84
    • View Profile
    • Insight on Videogames
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2011, 19:50:10 »
I wasn't particularly hit by this game (except for the spikes, that was a nice little quirk). When I played it, all I saw was another Portal-inspired scenario and a fairly short game; not that it's bad or anything, but themes like these were nothing new even when it came out. Also, after a few areas you get the gist of the mechanics and it becomes an ordinary puzzle game until the ending, which is special and deserves some praise nonetheless.

My experience was a bit marred by Depict1 having slowdowns on Vista, I admit; luckily it was remade in Flash later on. Definitely worth playing.
Videogames are for everyone, by everyone

Offline LPChip

• You can only truly help other people by allowing them to fail.
  • Excel at the thing you're the best at!
    • View Profile
    • LPChip Interactive
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2011, 08:52:09 »
I played this game yesterday since there's a flash version. Interesting game concept and I like the length of it too. Not too long, not too short. I like short games to play in between my busy schedule.

The difficulty was good too. Not too hard, but still challenging. I recognized some puzzles from WaDF/MAS:OS which was interesting too.

And I agree, the spikes were a nice addition.
on the left, above my avatar.

MODPlug Central Forum
"If I tried to kill you, I'd end up with a big fat hole through my laptop." - Chironex

Offline minmay

• View Profile
    • Cow Muffins
« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2011, 20:16:10 »
The premise is interesting, but the game executes it with no subtlety.

« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2011, 22:28:26 »
Yeah, I totally agree and I think its lack of subtlety is its biggest flaw aswell. The concept is great but if it's not deeper you'd probably need something else, like harder gameplay (pixel perfect Mega Man-jumps or something) to feel totally satisfied. However, I still think it's a cool game. I'm a game art student and sometimes feel that I really would like to know how to code and make my own games. Guess I need to pick up some Construct-skills or something.
Born to fight evil and people I don't like!

Offline vdweller

• JapanStache!
    • View Profile
    • vdweller's freeware games
« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2011, 21:54:55 »
Outstanding game.

Press Z+X to send this game to NASA.

Trust me.

Offline Indoo

• Do you Duke University?
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2011, 13:23:45 »
Good tutorial, I can tell. Now bring out the fun.
CHEeTAh, stop bragging about the show, it's worthless.

Offline kritter

• Curly Tree!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 03, 2011, 02:43:13 »
I will play this because it has music by Alec Holowka, if for no other reason.  C)