[Environmental/Misc] The Empty Planet

• 74 Replies

Offline plural

• twice shy
    • View Profile
[Environmental/Misc] The Empty Planet
« on: September 24, 2011, 10:23:40 »
I started work on this level about a week after I posted my last level. I began with the idea of making a level that only used tilesets, gradients and (mostly) custom objects that I created because I felt so uncreative at points using so many other people's art.

Some stuff about making the level:
Spoiler: (click to show/hide)

I'd say I'm about 15 to 20% done now and hopefully I can keep up the same speed when working on it. I decided to wait to post this thread until I felt my productivity lull so I could create some kind of expectation to force myself not to give up on it. I'm already invested with over ten tilesets (albeit with repeating content in quite a few) and 64 custom objects so I feel as if I have to keep going...

Info Screen:

Screenshots:

Offline LPChip

• You can only truly help other people by allowing them to fail.
  • Excel at the thing you're the best at!
    • View Profile
    • LPChip Interactive
Re: [Environmental/Misc] The Empty Planet
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2011, 10:36:42 »
This looks really really good. I like the attention for details, even though there could be a little bit more detail. At places where nothing happens, it seems a bit symmetrical.

Example: the third screen could have something in the sky. Perhaps a sun or some clouds. Same for the last screenshot.

The second last screenshot could have somekind of panel in the top section. But these are just more refinements to an already awesome looking screen. :)
on the left, above my avatar.

MODPlug Central Forum
"If I tried to kill you, I'd end up with a big fat hole through my laptop." - Chironex

Offline sergiocornaga

• View Profile
    • Sergio's Games
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2011, 14:14:20 »
I am anticipating this immensely!

I agree with LPChip's comment that while this looks extremely pretty, the locations are also quite dull. However, I like this a lot! Your screenshots have a bleak, dystopian feel that you shouldn't feel pressured to change if it fits with your vision for the level.

Offline Talps

• ...especially in a life-or-death situation!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2011, 23:18:49 »
Guys, it's called 'The Empty Planet'!

Screenshots look fantastic. I don't normally get into environmental levels but this looks great.

Offline egomassive

• View Profile
    • egomassive games
« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2011, 23:26:35 »
Looking fantastic so far. I like the hilly gradient in the third screen. It creates a deep perspective without making the foreground feel flatter. I also like the attention to light and shadow. As far as the symmetry concerns go, I say it depends. For instance buildings tend to be built symmetrically and in repeating patterns so that's not much of an issue. The only place I see a possible issue is in the third screen where the trees trunks (I'm not sure that's what they are, just guessing) are very similar in size and distance from the kiosk. But, I wouldn't see it as a problem if they had been planted rather than naturally placed.

At any rate, I'm sure the lull is only temporary. You sound genuinely inspired to make this level. I'm very much interested to see how the story unfolds. It sounds too complicated for the KS engine. I'm hoping you're on to a brilliant new way to manage a plot in a Knytt story.

« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2011, 04:30:13 »
Could I be a beta tester? I REALLY want to try this out  :P2

Offline plural

• twice shy
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2012, 19:31:38 »
I have some progress. I slowed down a lot on production after I posted this but I have been doing some. I thought I'd post some screens of that.

And here's a playthrough of older stuff: http://youtu.be/HySqf8StxjQ
I don't know why the sound is so quiet and muddy but I'm new to capturing video.

Offline Comhon

• View Profile
    • comhon.cz
« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2012, 20:02:49 »
Very detailed level. You work on it really hard.

Offline egomassive

• View Profile
    • egomassive games
« Reply #9 on: April 23, 2012, 22:38:20 »
Wow! Puts my stuff to shame. *gives a star*

Offline LPChip

• You can only truly help other people by allowing them to fail.
  • Excel at the thing you're the best at!
    • View Profile
    • LPChip Interactive
« Reply #10 on: April 23, 2012, 23:11:37 »
These screens are fantastic! I love how you added shadow to the image. Something I don't see happen often.

:hiddenstar: from me. :)
on the left, above my avatar.

MODPlug Central Forum
"If I tried to kill you, I'd end up with a big fat hole through my laptop." - Chironex

Offline GrayFace

• View Profile
    • my site
« Reply #11 on: April 24, 2012, 10:09:35 »
I have mixed feelings. It's great that you're making a new level, but it's sad that it's environmental. Looking forward to it anyway.

I don't know why the sound is so quiet and muddy but I'm new to capturing video.
I'd recommend Camtasia Studio, but it's not free. Haven't watched the video, but if sound is bad, make sure you have stereo mixer as the source and microphone sound turned off in system sound settings.

Offline Headgrinder

• Smart Steel Polisher
    • View Profile
    • www.matthewepperson.wordpress.com
« Reply #12 on: April 24, 2012, 12:36:08 »
Well I for one am delighted your making an environmental.  There is not nearly enough of them.  (In fact I just wish I could get environmentals for actual game systems.) 

These look so fantastic.  Very good work.   :hiddenstar: :hiddenstar: :hiddenstar:

Offline Raicuparta

• Rai
    • View Profile
    • Twitter @Raicuparta
« Reply #13 on: April 24, 2012, 12:41:59 »
Well I for one am delighted your making an environmental.  There is not nearly enough of them.  (In fact I just wish I could get environmentals for actual game systems.) 

These look so fantastic.  Very good work.   :hiddenstar: :hiddenstar: :hiddenstar:
Have you ever tried games by thatgamecompany? I'd say "environmental" describes them nicely.

Offline sergiocornaga

• View Profile
    • Sergio's Games
« Reply #14 on: April 24, 2012, 13:38:46 »
This is probably the best manipulation of the Knytt Stories engine I've ever seen. I really appreciate the effort you put into telling a story, as it presumably involved a lot of room duplication. My only issue is you've deviated far enough from how Knytt Stories levels traditionally play that I was a little confused just watching it, but that shouldn't be a problem if you have some subtle tutorial-like elements that introduce players to the things you've changed.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2012, 13:43:36 by sergiocornaga »