[Environmental/Misc] The Empty Planet

• 74 Replies

Offline Headgrinder

• Smart Steel Polisher
    • View Profile
    • www.matthewepperson.wordpress.com
Re: [Environmental/Misc] The Empty Planet
« Reply #15 on: April 24, 2012, 22:00:32 »
@Raicuparta:  Those look interesting.  Too bad I can't play most of them.  I guess in my mind environmental implies adventure as well, some kind of exploration.   

@Sergiocornaga:  Yeah!  I think the idea of knytt stories engine only being used for further knytt stories is to completely limit it's  versatility and capacity.  I don't see the need for tutorial in such a case. 

@plural:  Holy molly dude, just saw the walk through.  You are a god of story telling through game making my friend.

Offline plural

• twice shy
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 30, 2012, 08:09:27 »
Thank you guys for the comments, I appreciate them more than you know.

Anyway, I made a blog to put up and work through content for the level. I didn't want to constantly bump this thread for idle thoughts and screens and I also wanted to have a further barrier for people who don't want to spoiled because I'm going to be talking about the game in depth and possibly spoil a lot of the story. I won't forget about this thread but I'm just massively neurotic about posting and not having to think about whether or not it would be appropriate is helpful to me.

Like I said though, there will be spoilers.

http://pluralplurals.blogspot.com/

Offline egomassive

• View Profile
    • egomassive games
« Reply #17 on: April 30, 2012, 19:35:56 »
I won't be visiting your blog or watching the video you posted, because I want to avoid spoilers as much as possible. So, I think the blog is a great idea. Finding the right balance between previews and spoilers is something I think a lot of us struggle with. Especially when we're proud of our work and want to show it off.

Offline Headgrinder

• Smart Steel Polisher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 01, 2012, 12:15:54 »
I'm  reading it, mainly because I'm such a naive thinker that I'm very hard to spoil.  In other words, I experience things for the first time every time I do them.  So for me it is simply interesting thoughts, though I am surprised at the level of detail you get into on the blog.  No, wait, based on the  level of detail in your level design, this should be obvious.  I would only caution you about letting your creativity dry out by posting to much on blogs.  This can be like a writer constantly talking about his book, then never feeling the urge to write. 

I'll try and leave you a few comments eventually, when I have more time.  Good thoughts and content though.

Offline Talps

• ...especially in a life-or-death situation!
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 01, 2012, 16:30:19 »
I watched the first three quarters of the video and was blown away; it looks fantastic! Like someone else said, you need to be careful about explaining the gadgetry to the players in the early sections, like the save-points and lifts. Also, there were a few points watching where I wasn't sure what was floor/wall and what was hollow, though that may have been 'cus I was watching the low-quality video.

This looks like its gonna be great. I won't finish the video or read the blog 'cus I don't want it spoiled. Personally I'd save revealing that sort of information for after the release.
Any idea how much you've done? (Half? A quarter?)

« Reply #20 on: May 15, 2012, 18:27:59 »
Damn it now I'm frustrated again to continue work on my own environmental level.I need people to make crap so my own level can look better.

(I love what you've done so far.)

Offline plural

• twice shy
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 10, 2012, 21:24:44 »
I decided to include a tutorial as was suggested but I branched it off into its own prologue level. It's still basically connected to this but yeah. If anyone wants to beta test it's here: http://pluralplurals.blogspot.com/2012/07/beta.html

I don't think there are any spoilers in that post. I think I used a couple things I can reuse in the full game. I'll probably make a post to the level release forum by the end of the week, I don't think there are any errors left but there could be, so many duplicated rooms I just don't know. Anyway, I thought I'd bump this for that reason because I want to avoid any void screens/what-have-you and people are usually much better at breaking what I've made than I am. Don't feel the absolute need to test it though because people already have been.

Offline oskop

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 29, 2012, 05:53:51 »
Is there any chance this will ever get done? The irony of a suspended sputzna inspired level... Really love what I see in that video and enjoyed "Orientation", imagine you might not be around to read this but if it's cheering on you're lacking, I'm here hoping to see this finished.

Offline sergiocornaga

• View Profile
    • Sergio's Games
« Reply #23 on: December 29, 2012, 08:24:52 »
Weird that you should bump this now, I was just looking over this thread a few days ago in order to make the following fanart:

When I showed it to plural I was assured that the level would see completion, which should be good news for you.

Offline egomassive

• View Profile
    • egomassive games
« Reply #24 on: December 29, 2012, 23:09:27 »
Very nice Sergio! I want to play this level even more now. Thanks for the inside information too.

I've been thinking about The Empty Planet myself lately. A while ago with Plural's permission, I made some homages to this level too. Until The Empty Planet is released they have no significance to the general public though, so I won't reveal them. :shifty:

Offline plural

• twice shy
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 07, 2013, 19:00:47 »
I was sort of taking a break/working on other things partly because I was frustrated by the limitations of Knytt Stories and I was just too busy (I also stupidly was making a large update to Orientation for some reason because I wanted to bump the thread but didn't have a reason but I bottomed out working on it, I'll finish that and bump that level once I finish this one). I've started working on this again in earnest, though I probably won't have anything to post about for a while because I'm mostly expanding/finishing/cleaning up the areas that I've already shown.

Because this was made with multiple paths/endings in mind my plan right now is to get as much done as I can until I hit the 255 custom object limit and then paring it back to a finished project. I'm at about 100 right now, so here's to hoping I don't even reach the limit because I've become adept(?) at reusing assets.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2013, 19:05:05 by plural »

Offline Widget

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 07, 2013, 22:11:17 »
I was sort of taking a break/working on other things partly because I was frustrated by the limitations of Knytt Stories and I was just too busy (I also stupidly was making a large update to Orientation for some reason because I wanted to bump the thread but didn't have a reason but I bottomed out working on it, I'll finish that and bump that level once I finish this one). I've started working on this again in earnest, though I probably won't have anything to post about for a while because I'm mostly expanding/finishing/cleaning up the areas that I've already shown.

It's good to hear that you're working on this again. Though I'm not usually much of a fan of environmental levels, your work to date is fantastic  :)

Because this was made with multiple paths/endings in mind my plan right now is to get as much done as I can until I hit the 255 custom object limit and then paring it back to a finished project. I'm at about 100 right now, so here's to hoping I don't even reach the limit because I've become adept(?) at reusing assets.

That's a textbook example of the correct context in which to use the word adept.

Offline Headgrinder

• Smart Steel Polisher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 12, 2013, 23:04:37 »
Very exciting.  Have you looked into egomassive's KS+ editor yet?  He is almost done with all the mods and it promises to be much less limited and much easier to use then the original editor...

Offline plural

• twice shy
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 21, 2013, 08:19:54 »
Very exciting.  Have you looked into egomassive's KS+ editor yet?  He is almost done with all the mods and it promises to be much less limited and much easier to use then the original editor...
Basically, I'm a coward. I don't want to possibly exclude some people on the basis of them being unwilling to use KS+. I think everyone should use it as it's far superior to the normal version for the zoom function alone but I also want anyone who's just using vanilla KS to be able to play it as well. Some of the features are really tempting but they're not exactly what's been frustrating me in creating levels. That is almost exclusively the layer 6/7 tick before it loads in exposing all those custom objects and most importantly hiding Juni. I'm very excited seeing Egomassive working specifically on this type of issue in the official KS+ thread. Sorry for not responding sooner but I'm not very good at communicating in a timely manner.

Anyway... still plugging along... I guess I'll post some progress. First, more specifically, actual progress so you can see how one screen has changed since last I showed it to you:

Also, here's another...

I've reached a point where I have one ending. Which doesn't mean much because of how the story branches but it basically means I'm done with a second area aside from the first one. so I'd say I'm 2/5 done on the actual level and maybe 3/5 done on assets. and hopefully I can contain myself and stop from tweaking old areas I've already finished.