Nifflas Website

• 23 Replies

Offline Raicuparta

• Rai
    • View Profile
    • Twitter @Raicuparta
Re: Nifflas Website
« Reply #15 on: February 02, 2012, 17:59:44 »
You really should go for a fixed width, much better for beginners. Gives you a more uniform look of your website across different browsers and resolutions and is much easier to control. Also, for this particular website, it would look much better, because there isn't a lot of text or any sidebars, so having a dynamic width makes it look really bad on large screens.
And one last thing, maybe just a personal opinion, but making a website look good using mainly a serif font like Times New Roman is very hard and doesn't work for all websites. While Nifflas made it work on his page, it doesn't look good on yours. You can either experiment with some sans serif fonts, or try to make it feel better in some other way. You'll notice that Nifflas' page uses a different font for titles, for instance, but I understand that you don't want to make it too similar to the original page, as that would take from the purpose of this project.

Offline rebel28

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 02, 2012, 18:05:24 »
I can see how it would make it simpler.

Right now I'm very glad I'm using a CSS style sheet to define the whole website, it'll make these sort of changes a lot simpler.

Offline rebel28

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 11, 2012, 02:20:23 »
Ok, just to update.

I have read over all the posts, and made a list of changes I need to make.

We've been provided at college, with a domain name, here is mine for the Nifflas website.

At the moment it's still got a pretty old version, as I have to upload the files to update it, which I'm not used to.
With the previous version, all I had to do was save it as it was reading from my computer.

Lastly, we recently started learning CSS3 Animation, and I'm learning some Javascript on the side.
This will really help me improve the website, while I can't see where I'll implement CSS3 Animations (which I need to for the assignments) I can definitely see a use for Javascript. (Glad to finally be learning it)

If you have ANY ideas, let me know.

You can either experiment with some sans serif fonts

Hey, I'm wondering if you have any ideas for other fonts I can use.

Offline SiamJai

• View Profile
    • A gaming blog like no other.
« Reply #18 on: March 11, 2012, 05:42:51 »
Check your syntax on the Contact page - the last field has some pieces of code sticking out at the end.

Also the wording is strange at times. Since Nifflas is not directly affiliated with that site, you might want to change parts where he talks about himself in 1st-person, ie. "This is a tool I designed...", to "This is a tool Nifflas designed" to avoid confusion. :)

Finally, I suggest making a unique title for each page. Right now, if I want to go back to a particular page using my browser's History, I can't, because with every page having the same title, I can't pick out the page I want to go back to.
« Last Edit: March 11, 2012, 05:47:03 by SiamJai »

Offline rebel28

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 11, 2012, 11:10:18 »
Ah, when I uploaded the site last I had been fiddling around with .php scripts. So the contact page bugged out.
At the moment I've made it empty, I can't find the ftp url though, so I can't upload the new version.
I'm going to find out what it is on Monday.

I've copied and pasted all the descriptions, and the site is supposed to be like a re-design of his site.
The whole assignment is that I've hypothetically been hired to design  or re-design a website.

We were allowed to choose whatever we want for the website purpose, I chose Nifflas because I love his games, and no one else would copy me, as they don't know who Nifflas is.

I'll talk to my tutor about whether I should make it 1st person or 3rd person.
If I'm allowed to make it like a fan site, I might. But as far as I know it's supposed to hypothetically be his new website.

I never noticed the titles were the same, I'll change it today, it won't be too hard. :)

Offline rebel28

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 08, 2012, 02:30:31 »
Just thought I should post here one last time.

The website is 'finished'.
The deadline for the assignment has passed, and I have uploaded it.

There are a few things I'd probably change, but overall I'm very happy with how it is.
I had a lot of fun making it, I learnt so much.

The assignment brief simply asks that we use CSS.
I used CSS, jQuery, and PHP.

jQuery made the biggest contribution to the website.

Anyway, I hope you guys think it's alright.
I realize there's a few things I missed out on changing, I guess I was to busy thinking about what I could add, so I forgot to think about what needs to be improved.

In case you don't want to go back to another post, here's the link to the page.

Offline BeamishBoy

• And has thou slain the Jabberwock?
    • View Profile
    • Ball With Hat
« Reply #21 on: June 08, 2012, 05:53:09 »
Very nice! I'm sure you know plenty of things that you would improve, so I'll just note what I liked most about the site. All of the themes are adorable and (I feel) add nicely to the look of the site. Music player is great. The overall layout is very clear, and I never felt confused as to where to find anything. My biggest gripe is that you should have a link to the NiffPage games that aren't included on the Games Page, rather than forcing the reader go to the FAQ.

Congratulations on your achievement! I hope you're graded well.
BeamishBoy

Offline sergiocornaga

• View Profile
    • Sergio's Games
« Reply #22 on: June 08, 2012, 08:19:12 »
This is really impressive. Possibly flashy to the point of getting in the way of functionality, but for assignment purposes I think there's nothing wrong with that!

Offline rebel28

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 08, 2012, 11:37:57 »
This is really impressive. Possibly flashy to the point of getting in the way of functionality, but for assignment purposes I think there's nothing wrong with that!

I know what you mean.
I've discovered that while my website is more visual than the current Nifflas site. His site does exactly what it needs to, without being too performance heavy.