Custom objects help

• 9 Replies

Offline swoopman2

• Couldn't decide on a colour...
    • View Profile
Custom objects help
« on: January 09, 2012, 21:16:22 »
I am trying to make a CO that I can put in front of Juni to make it imposible to see her, but so far all atemps have failed. I've looked at the forum and everything is too confusing or won't help.

I am also haaving trouble with transparency, so I could have openings to the "darkness"

If someone could help me, I would be grateful.
Will beta test, just send me the game...

Offline Raicuparta

• Rai
    • View Profile
Re: Custom objects help
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2012, 00:47:26 »
I've done that so I can help you, but you're gonna have to be a bit more specific on what the problem actually is, I don't know what your experience is with CO's so I don't know what I can assume you already tried.
Also, as far as I know you can't make a completely black CO, as it makes black invisible, so if you need to make her invisible against a completely black background, you're gonna have to make it a little bit different. It shouldn't be noticeable, so its OK.

Offline egomassive

• View Profile
    • egomassive games
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2012, 04:19:01 »
Since I don't know where your confusion stems from, I suggest reading the Custom Object manual if you haven't already. I also suggest seeing how existing levels that do what you want to do are made. If that doesn't help, you need to post what you've tried so we can determine what the problem is.

On your transparency issue, what picture editors do you use?

Offline swoopman2

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2012, 20:49:47 »
I only use the paint you get with all computers. I have never made any COs, so I have no clue what I'm doing and yes, I have looked at the manuel. The only reason why I want to do this is so I can make a level were you turn lights on and off to try to get past certain problems, on to see, but not get past and off to not see, but contunue.

Modified: Also, if one of you could give me the CO if you made one, I would be grateful.  :)
« Last Edit: January 11, 2012, 20:51:30 by swoopman2 »

Offline Widget

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2012, 21:31:28 »
I've never made a level so I'm not the best one to give advice but have you looked at An Underwater Adventure in the editor? It sounds like you're trying to replicate the first puzzle in that level which I assume was done with shifts, rather than using COs. You basically have two copies of the area (one lit and one in darkness) with a triggered shift at the light switch that teleports the player between the two.

Edit: Making Juni invisible aswell as everything else would make the level all but impossible. The player needs some sort of feedback on what's happening to make a reasonable attempt. Having to memorise how long to hold keys down aswell as memorise the room layout would be absolutely infuriating.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2012, 21:38:30 by Widget »

Offline swoopman2

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2012, 22:51:56 »
I've never made a level so I'm not the best one to give advice but have you looked at An Underwater Adventure in the editor? It sounds like you're trying to replicate the first puzzle in that level which I assume was done with shifts, rather than using COs. You basically have two copies of the area (one lit and one in darkness) with a triggered shift at the light switch that teleports the player between the two.

Edit: Making Juni invisible aswell as everything else would make the level all but impossible. The player needs some sort of feedback on what's happening to make a reasonable attempt. Having to memorise how long to hold keys down aswell as memorise the room layout would be absolutely infuriating.

That was why I was planing to make it a level with different difficulties, but none below hard.

Also because I have seen no level like this before.

Offline LPChip

• You can only truly help other people by allowing them to fail.
  • Excel at the thing you're the best at!
    • View Profile
    • LPChip Interactive
« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2012, 22:53:10 »
I agree with widget that its not good to let the player navigate in the dark unless there's nothing that can go wrong.

What you want to do is create one black image of 600x240 (or anything can go on it that you want to display) and name it .png and place it in your world folder with the proper name. (you need to look that up from the Custom Objects manual.)

You also need to create the .ini. The manual explains how to do that too. Just enter 600x240 with 1 by 1 frame and play with the left and top settings so you get it right.

Put the object in layer 7 to make it appear in front of Juni.
on the left, above my avatar.

MODPlug Central Forum
"If I tried to kill you, I'd end up with a big fat hole through my laptop." - Chironex

Offline swoopman2

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2012, 23:45:51 »
Thank you for the help.
Don't worry, I'll leave the enemies visible and I'll make it so there will be a noticeable change between screens.

Offline LPChip

• You can only truly help other people by allowing them to fail.
  • Excel at the thing you're the best at!
    • View Profile
    • LPChip Interactive
« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2012, 10:17:34 »
A tip: If you care to install software, install paint.net so you can work with transparancy.

Start with a transparent screen, select a color manually (so you can enter its settings), select the color black (or any color for that matter that fits your needs, but black is best in this case), on the bottom right, select a Transparancy - Alpha of 80 or 90. (look what you like best) and fill the entire screen with this. Then save as png.

The effect that you'll get now, is that Juni will be barely visible as if the lights were out, but there still comes really little light from somewhere. (you almost always can see in a dark room even if its almost barely. This is the effect that you'll create. Things will be hard to see, especially if you choose 90, but they are visible. If you have a bright background, it will be really dark, but it will make seeing juni more easy.
on the left, above my avatar.

MODPlug Central Forum
"If I tried to kill you, I'd end up with a big fat hole through my laptop." - Chironex

Offline swoopman2

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 22, 2012, 21:35:54 »
Just to tell you guys, I posted a test for my darkness in the archive.

http://www.knyttlevels.com/