[Easy/Misc] Silver Lining

• 15 Replies

Offline yohji

• View Profile
    • Jashiin's Portfolio
[Easy/Misc] Silver Lining
« on: March 24, 2012, 17:54:15 »
Here's a very small joke-type level about death. There are five bad endings, a bad semi-ending (eh), and one good ending, which is hopefully very hard to find without cheating or using the editor. Takes about 5 minutes to find most of the endings except the good one (?), but I hope it's enjoyable anyway  :D

http://knyttlevels.com/levels/Yohji%20-%20Silver%20Lining%20%28version%201%29.knytt.bin
upd: I lost the original files, and uploaded the only version I have to Knytt Levels. Oops!

Despite extensive testing, there may still be bugs here and there. I'm sorry in advance about those. Please report those and I'll try to fix them.

Below: boring stuff on how the level came about and why it is the way it is.
Spoiler: (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: June 18, 2016, 21:23:21 by yohji »

Offline egomassive

• View Profile
    • egomassive games
Re: [Easy/Misc] Silver Lining
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2012, 21:29:04 »
Downloading...

Spoiler: about boring stuff (click to show/hide)

Offline Raicuparta

• Rai
    • View Profile
    • Twitter @Raicuparta
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2012, 21:41:32 »
I only saw like 4 endings of this but I was confused about one part:

Offline yohji

• View Profile
    • Jashiin's Portfolio
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2012, 21:51:40 »
I only saw like 4 endings of this but I was confused about one part:

Yeah, that's what is meant to be happening. I'm sorry if it's unclear - I tried to make it into a normal ending, but I couldn't figure out how to make an appropriate ending screen without ruining the moment. Eh.

Offline yohji

• View Profile
    • Jashiin's Portfolio
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2012, 21:59:24 »
Downloading...

Spoiler: about boring stuff (click to show/hide)

I've managed to locate the relevant part of the KS competition topic. Apparently I wasn't sure I could do anything with the tileset  :D - http://nifflas.lpchip.nl/index.php?topic=1992.210

Offline egomassive

• View Profile
    • egomassive games
« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2012, 00:47:23 »
^: Ah, I guess it was Pumpkin. Sorry for the mix up. It's been a while.

Offline sergiocornaga

• View Profile
    • Sergio's Games
« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2012, 03:38:19 »
I got all the endings! Obviously I had to look in the editor to find the good one, that required some serious lateral thinking...

That one competition has now produced three truly amazing and unique levels... I wonder what made it so inspirational?

Yeah, that's what is meant to be happening. I'm sorry if it's unclear - I tried to make it into a normal ending, but I couldn't figure out how to make an appropriate ending screen without ruining the moment. Eh.

If it makes you feel better, I got what was happening and found it pretty hilarious.

Offline Healy

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2012, 22:52:19 »
I got all the endings! Obviously I had to look in the editor to find the good one, that required some serious lateral thinking...

That one competition has now produced three truly amazing and unique levels... I wonder what made it so inspirational?

I can only speak for myself, but I found it an incredibly fun tileset to work with. I never felt like it was a challenge to find ways to work it into each screen.

Offline egomassive

• View Profile
    • egomassive games
« Reply #8 on: March 26, 2012, 06:10:30 »
I found it amusing. I almost found the good ending. I thought about checking for it at that location at that time, but for some reason I didn't.

Spoiler: bugs (click to show/hide)

Offline yohji

• View Profile
    • Jashiin's Portfolio
« Reply #9 on: March 26, 2012, 19:30:18 »

Congratulations! Actually, the good ending is probably my favorite, but somehow it ended up being the most difficult to find too.

Well, for me it was the opposite of what Healy said - the tileset wasn't particularly inspiring, so I wondered if I could make an interesting level with very basic scenery.

If it makes you feel better, I got what was happening and found it pretty hilarious.

It does make me feel better, hilarity is what I wanted people to get from this level  :D

Offline yohji

• View Profile
    • Jashiin's Portfolio
« Reply #10 on: March 26, 2012, 19:42:33 »
I found it amusing. I almost found the good ending. I thought about checking for it at that location at that time, but for some reason I didn't.

Spoiler: bugs (click to show/hide)

Thank you! I've fixed these and will upload the fixed version soon. I'm glad none of them were crucial, eh.

« Reply #12 on: June 18, 2016, 20:16:39 »
Since yohji just showed up, I would like to note that, unless the problem is on my end, the knytt.bin is corrupt or something. At least, I assume that the broken shifts after you try and squish that thingy aren't supposed to happen.

Offline yohji

• View Profile
    • Jashiin's Portfolio
« Reply #13 on: June 18, 2016, 20:53:45 »
I'm afraid I've lost the knytt.bin file... and have some corrupted files on another hard drive. I recompiled the one version that seemed OK, and uploaded it to Knytt Levels:
http://knyttlevels.com/levels/Yohji%20-%20Silver%20Lining%20%28version%201%29.knytt.bin

« Reply #14 on: June 18, 2016, 21:50:35 »
Thanks, hope this works. Would you have a good version hiding in a Worlds folder, or is that what you meant by recompile?