[Small/Misc/Easy] An Attempt At Art

• 11 Replies

Offline BloxMaster

• Master of the Bloxes!
    • View Profile
[Small/Misc/Easy] An Attempt At Art
« on: January 25, 2013, 20:33:05 »
Once upon a time, I made many levels. Most of them are buried in a beta zone I like to call "Mt. Testmore". One, though, happens to be a small level that slowly gets added onto from time to time. It's an art level. Or an attempt at one. This is that level.

Please don't expect much. It's old and extremely small! Have fun! :)

>Download it here<

Offline Polana

• LOCP and proud
    • View Profile
Re: [Small/Misc/Easy] An Attempt At Art
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2013, 22:06:24 »
Your level has only one big disadvantage: it is too small. I think you should make something bigger from those beautiful tilesets and COs (at least something Jungle caverns- or Rocky tunnels-themed).  :a1:
There is no icon in level archive nor in KS.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2013, 23:06:39 by Polana »

Offline Headgrinder

• Smart Steel Polisher
    • View Profile
    • www.matthewepperson.wordpress.com
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2013, 23:48:54 »
Those are beautiful.  Seriously, they deserve a full level, not just an art level.  Nice job!  *Starred*

You did several things that were right up my alley, like the sky pipes, and the foreground shadows in sunset's mystery, and the angles and curved tilesets.  Beautiful. 

Offline BloxMaster

• Master of the Bloxes!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2013, 00:11:38 »
Your level has only one big disadvantage: it is too small. I think you should make something bigger from those beautiful tilesets and COs (at least something Jungle caverns- or Rocky tunnels-themed).  :a1:
There is no icon in level archive nor in KS.

That's likely because those two scenes (The Jungle Caverns and The Rocky Tunnels) were actually part of a real level at some point- so they already look the part.

I apologize for the lack of icon and info screen. I'm not sure why they aren't there, but if I ever update, I'll be sure to add something.

Those are beautiful.  Seriously, they deserve a full level, not just an art level.  Nice job!  *Starred*

You did several things that were right up my alley, like the sky pipes, and the foreground shadows in sunset's mystery, and the angles and curved tilesets.  Beautiful. 

Hey, thanks! It means a lot that you thought they were worth whole levels of their own. I can say that the things you mentioned are really something I liked as well, and I wish I knew very well how to incorporate them back into real levels. You'll find that most of the tilesets were not fully finished before I put them in there, so nearly everything in the tileset is already used. There's a few exceptions, though, and some of that has lived on in 'future' tilesets.

@Both: I realize that for an AAA+ title (get it?), it'd be great if it was longer. Turning it into a full level would take some time, and I'm not always sure where to go with things. I'm not quite done with level making, but as it turns out, my rate of finishing things is not high. We shall see!

Offline Fubaka

• We are the music makers.
    • View Profile
    • My Music Page
« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2013, 03:03:53 »
These are some very neat tilesets!  If I was inclined to make another Knytt Stories level, I might consider using some of these.

My favorites were definitely the 'Technically Glass' and 'Rocky Tunnels' tilesets.
Things to remember when writing figures of speech and sound:
The power of poetry comes from the ability to defy logic. Defy logic often.

Use a metaphor and tell us that your lover is the sky. Tell us that your lover is the sky. When you do that, we won't believe you. We won't believe you because saying so makes no sense, but we'll see a meaning. We'll see a meaning.

The other thing is the ability to be remembered. Love anything.

Love anything

Offline BloxMaster

• Master of the Bloxes!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2013, 03:38:57 »
Technically Glass uses no tileset, actually! It's entirely a gradient, and the other graphics are just in-game objects. Rocky Tunnels' tileset was meant for a level the name of which I've forgotten.. Anyway, if memory serves, the way I used that tileset was very time consuming.

Glad you like it, though! :)

EDIT: Actually, correction, the main graphic for 'Technically Glass' is a screen-big CO, overlaid over a whiteish gradient. Now that I remember that, I also remember that the CO was next to impossible for me to re-create months later.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2013, 03:43:27 by BloxMaster »

Offline Headgrinder

• Smart Steel Polisher
    • View Profile

Offline MasterF

• Niflls pls
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2013, 15:40:41 »
This was short,but pretty good.I like the aesthetics in each screens and the custom objects.
Also,I found a wallswim that happens when going down from Locked Facility to Clear Cuts,it occurs when you go down while climbing the right wall(both pressing down to go faster or not)

PS:I was so bored,I made a screenshot featuring Egoraptor.Yaaaaaaaaaaaaay!

Offline BloxMaster

• Master of the Bloxes!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2013, 18:44:21 »
Thank you for finding that wallswim!

« Reply #9 on: February 01, 2013, 17:58:30 »
Speaking of wallswims, if you have decent platforming skills, you can use a wallswim to get on top of the Locked Facility screen, since there is no wall in the Glass screen that keeps you from going there. It only happens if you want it to, though.

Offline GrayFace

• View Profile
    • my site
« Reply #10 on: February 02, 2013, 04:07:48 »
Beautiful! I wouldn't agree that it's too short, because it's not a level, it is a showcase of cool graphics that should eventually become parts of levels ;)

Offline Headgrinder

• Smart Steel Polisher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 03, 2013, 22:35:10 »
I'd like to use the tileset in sunset mystery to rebuild a tileset I lost when my computer crashed.  Would that be ok?  I basically just need the black shapes which I'll change colors, and I'll build the rest I need.  Just didn't want to have to recreate it, and these are really well shaped.  :D