Spaceship with a Mace

• 3 Replies

Offline SiamJai

• View Profile
    • A gaming blog like no other.
Spaceship with a Mace
« on: January 23, 2013, 02:22:29 »
Nifflas made this multiplayer game in two days, at Nordic Game Jam 2013 in Copenhagen. The game won the first place of the main competition (the Audience award), and was voted first place for "Most Polished Game", as well as third place for "Most Fun Game" of the event.

Download here (PC, 8MB)

Tips
  • It's a multiplayer game designed to work with Xbox 360 controllers, though other brands might work as well.
  • You need at least two controllers plugged in at the same time; hold the A button on both for a few seconds to begin a round.
  • X Y and B on the controllers are used to adjust game parameters (chain length, mace strength and speed, respectively).
  • F2 to reset, Escape to close the game.

More screenshots

Spoiler: large mace, no-winner (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: normal mace, shield (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: small mace, shield (click to show/hide)

Offline Qqwy

• View Profile
Re: Spaceship with a Mace
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2013, 18:52:47 »
Does someone have a video of this? I would love to see it in action, but unfortunately I don't have any Xbox controllers.

Offline SiamJai

• View Profile
    • A gaming blog like no other.
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2013, 03:29:33 »
You could try any USB-controllers, they might work. The screenshots in the first post were made using a Logitech and a Saitek controller, which the game recognized, at least as far as standard buttons go. I'd gladly make a gameplay video too, but the analog sticks are not responding.

I can tell you though that the music, sound- and visual effects are gorgeous; moreso than one would expect from a two-day game.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2013, 03:32:48 by SiamJai »

« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2013, 00:21:03 »
Awesome.  I played this three-player last night and we had a blast.  Thanks for posting this SiamJai!  Nice job Nifflas!

I found the music pretty neat.  The drumbeat sounds generative, almost Aphex Twin-like.  I feel like it must be partially randomized since, if the music was done during a gamejam, there probably wouldn't be time to lay out those beats by hand.  If it is procedural I wonder what software was used for the music?
Play my games at ultimatewalrus.com