Odd Crashing Problem

• 16 Replies

Offline Qqwy

• View Profile
Odd Crashing Problem
« on: January 29, 2013, 15:49:59 »
It's strange, because I read elsewhere that the beta only worked on a few machines and the final version should work on all machines.

I can run the beta version on my laptop without any problems(except it is a little slow when there are lots of particle effcts at the screen on the same time). However, the released (1.0.0 and 1.0.1) versions crash.
When starting the application, a screen comes up and right away closes again.

I'm on a HP Compaq 6720s computer, with an Intel Celeron CPU, 1.73 Ghz
I have 2GB of 32 bit RAM.
I'm running on Windows 7.

Offline Mathias

• View Profile
Re: Odd Crashing Problem
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2013, 16:14:26 »
The important aspect of your configuration is the GPU. Could you post the output of this program? http://ononesoft.cachefly.net/support/DoctorGL.exe.zip

Basically, your GPU needs to support these OpenGL extensions (which are available on pretty much all cards):
GL_EXT_framebuffer_object
GL_ARB_vertex_shader
GL_ARB_fragment_shader
GL_ARB_texture_non_power_of_two

Thanks!

Offline Qqwy

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2013, 17:38:11 »
Windows tells me that the program crashes. Running it in administrator mode doesn't change that.

I don't know my exact GPU system. I know it is a virtual GPU that is built inside my CPU. My laptop is about 6 years old and not very fast and all those things, but the strange part is that I could run the beta version of Great Work.

« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2013, 19:37:02 »
I'm having the same issue: the game crashes immediately after opening, and the program you linked to won't run either. I'm running a Dell desktop with Windows 8 and a Radeon 4300 graphics card. Any ideas on how to address this? I'd love to be able to play this game.

« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2013, 21:53:06 »
It seems that I am not the only one who can't play this game on my laptop with the same problems posted above.  I find it frustraing and puzzling not to find info on system requirements anywhere at Niffla's site. Could someone from the game support team explain why this happens and how it could be fixed? 

Offline Mathias

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2013, 11:18:00 »
Can you please provide full system specifications and some more information about the crash (a callstack/stacktrace or just the content of the error message you get would help)? It could be that you're on outdated drivers if you can't even run DoctorGL; I'd really expect that to run at least.

Offline starbo

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2013, 22:35:47 »
The important aspect of your configuration is the GPU. Could you post the output of this program? http://ononesoft.cachefly.net/support/DoctorGL.exe.zip

Basically, your GPU needs to support these OpenGL extensions (which are available on pretty much all cards):
GL_EXT_framebuffer_object
GL_ARB_vertex_shader
GL_ARB_fragment_shader
GL_ARB_texture_non_power_of_two

Thanks!
I remember seeing you post exactly this before, yet I see instances all over the net of people not able to play this game.  Here's the info from when I ran DoctorGL:
Spoiler: (click to show/hide)

How would I install the correct drivers?  Or can I?

« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2013, 23:08:27 »
Thanks, Mathias, for your input.  DoctorGL on my laptop has the following results, and, alas,  my video card does not seem to support none of the OpenGL extensions you mention (driver is up to date):

Spoiler: (click to show/hide)

I, too, would very much appreciate it if the game could be playable on a wider range of video cards.

Offline Nifflas

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 05, 2013, 15:29:03 »
Odd, according to this page there should be drivers for your card that supports the extensions.

« Reply #9 on: February 06, 2013, 00:13:29 »
Nifflas' staff, thank you very much for the Open GL Capability report (never knew this before).  Unfortunately, my video card does not show up on the list, and I assume that the game is not playable on my laptop (no luck on my desktop either). :sad:  Would appreciate it greatly if you could accommodate the needs of some/many frustrated people by coming up with a different version of the game.

« Reply #10 on: November 11, 2013, 23:37:33 »
Hello everyone

I also have some problem to start the game, I can't even access to a loading screen, as soon as I want to run the game I have an error problem who says :

-Unable to execute file:
-C:\Program Files\Nifflas\The Great Work\The Great Work.exe

-CreateProcess failed; code14001.
-The application has failed to start because its configuration side-by-side is incorrect.

I don't know anything about my configuration and don't really know how to check it. And it's a laptop.

Any help will be appreciate, I just find out about this game who looks like KU that I really liked, and really want to play it !

Thanks

Offline juhj

• This happens when I can't finish a level D:
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 12, 2013, 13:59:22 »
Check to see if The Great Work.exe is really there in Program files.
image removed, became invalid
Arguing on the internet is like running in the Special Olympics. Even if you win, you're still retarded.

« Reply #12 on: November 12, 2013, 19:12:08 »
Yes it is, it took the image of a cupel, it's 2.36Mo but it says v1.0.0.0 instead of what sould be V1.0.1 that I downloaded..

Offline AA

• Was ITA84
    • View Profile
    • Insight on Videogames
« Reply #13 on: November 12, 2013, 19:46:28 »
Yours seems to be a problem with conflicting libraries, but I don't know the specifics. You should have a look at the Event Viewer (Control Panel -> System and Security -> View Event log, or something) and see what error messages come up after you've tried launching the game.

By the way, I think the version being 1.0.0.0 is normal.
Videogames are for everyone, by everyone

« Reply #14 on: November 12, 2013, 22:55:56 »
I have nothing about the game crashing in the Event Log... I have some from the demo of KU that I also tried to run, but not from The Great Work