Offline Joozey

• It's a clockwork universe.
    • View Profile
[Puzzle] Mr. Coo: Within an endless labyrinth
« on: April 12, 2009, 11:55:31 »
Type:
Puzzle

Description:
Within an endless labyrinth... a corpse is about to have a dream.
Find your way through the comic-styled labyrinth adventure of Mr. Coo. I haven't seen much competition on the internet that equals this level of quality in a flash game. An awesomely animated game.

There's one way to get out of the labyrinth. Don't quit too soon! Search well.

Spoiler: Screenshots: (click to show/hide)
Download:
http://www.mistercoo.com/laberinto.html
(Select english if you don't understand spanish ;))
« Last Edit: April 17, 2009, 23:16:25 by LPChip »
Gears grinding on maximum power, belts slipping to high speed.<br />In name of Her Majesty Victoria, FULL THRUST INTO ARMADA!

Offline Miss Paula

• I demand more of these.
    • View Profile
Re: Mr. Coo: Within an endless labyrinth
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2009, 14:33:39 »
looks definitely fun. :D
Spoiler: (click to show/hide)
:hs::hs::hs::hs::fish::hs::hs::hs::hs:
:hs:

Offline Soron

• :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2009, 14:38:27 »
but have you definitely tried it :P
(fist of glory)

Yaaaah!!

▲
▲ ▲

Offline utherdoul

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2009, 13:47:40 »
I really liked this. You should probably say it's a browser-based flash adventure, as I thought I could download it (which is only possible if you know how to download embedded swf files, which I'm not sure is particularly legal).

Anyway, I enjoyed the sparesness of explanation and the surreal aspects. A few too many hotspot hunting puzzles and not enough interaction puzzles for my taste, but the style was right up my alley (if you'll pardon the expression!)

Offline Joozey

• View Profile
Re: [Puzzle] Mr. Coo: Within an endless labyrinth
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2009, 13:27:50 »
Glad you like it.
The game is downloaded to your pc anyway. It's somewhere in your cache. There's no reason why this would not be legal. If you have a flash decompiler (you can download numerous trials), you can even disassemble the swf and see how the creator made his animations. You often can not recompile with changed settings though. This is reverse engineering and may be illegal, but only if you further distribute (part of) the gained contents or use certain knowledge to "hack" the game (e.g. steal database connections for inputting highscores).
Gears grinding on maximum power, belts slipping to high speed.<br />In name of Her Majesty Victoria, FULL THRUST INTO ARMADA!

Offline googoogjoob

• Forum Walrus
  • The Walrus is me.
    • View Profile
    • I have a LiveJournal. Yes. I do.
« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2009, 14:06:37 »
Just because your browser (temporarily) caches something doesn't mean it's legal to keep it. If you visit a webpage with photos which has warnings about saving the photos and right clicking disabled and all that, and your browser caches the photos, it doesn't mean they're legal.
good bye

Offline Joozey

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2009, 17:13:50 »
Indeed. I just didn't see a reason why it would not be legal to take a peek into the cached flash file.

Offline Vinterrun

• Schniggedi Schnapp die Daumen sind ab!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2009, 17:20:40 »
That`s one of the most awesome designed games I know =D
under re-construction:

Coming late:

Starwale *pun*

Offline SiamJai

• View Profile
    • A gaming blog like no other.
« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2009, 03:40:20 »
Just because your browser (temporarily) caches something doesn't mean it's legal to keep it. If you visit a webpage with photos which has warnings about saving the photos and right clicking disabled and all that, and your browser caches the photos, it doesn't mean they're legal.

Goog, it seems you're suggesting that complete strangers can dictate how users can manage and arrange files on their harddrive. If so, then I disagree. First, consider that the users did not actively choose to download the file onto their HD to begin with. Many are not even aware that it's there.

Flash authors on the other hand, can control whether browsers can cache the file or not. If no-cache is not enabled, the author essentially shoves his stuff onto my harddrive. ("Loading" is really "downloading".) And from that point on, it's up to my discretion how I manage files on my machine. As far as I know, my management rights are not limited to the files in My Documents and other obvious directories, but to the whole machine, including the cache. ;) 

Offline googoogjoob

• Forum Walrus
  • The Walrus is me.
    • View Profile
    • I have a LiveJournal. Yes. I do.
« Reply #9 on: April 19, 2009, 04:11:19 »
The whole point of copyright law (in the context of digital IP) is that complete strangers get to tell you what you can and can't do with the files on your hard drive. I didn't say I thought it was right, or actually practically enforceable, but historically the forum hasn't encouraged (or allowed to be unconditionally encouraged) potentially illegal activities, and I think it's better to make it clear that something's possibly illegal rather than just deleting the post altogether.
good bye

Offline SiamJai

• View Profile
    • A gaming blog like no other.
« Reply #10 on: April 19, 2009, 10:30:12 »
The whole point of copyright law (in the context of digital IP) is that complete strangers get to tell you what you can and can't do with the files on your hard drive.
Now that you put it that way... *nods*.  I'm yet again glad that the place I live at has a more sensible attitude towards such issues. ;)

I think it's better to make it clear that something's possibly illegal rather than just deleting the post altogether.
Sure thing. :) So, personally, where do you think the line is drawn? Could moving a swf from Folder A to Folder B be considered copyright violation? Or does it start at disassembling the code and looking inside? Or is it only the unauthorized public distribution of the file and/or its parts? I could call only the latter to be a copyright violation.

Offline LPChip

• You can only truly help other people by allowing them to fail.
  • Excel at the thing you're the best at!
    • View Profile
    • LPChip Interactive
« Reply #11 on: April 19, 2009, 10:59:32 »
It starts at disassembling. But thats not the copyright, but the authors right. Moving from A to B can be a copyright issue, if the move/copy is not staying whitin your pc.

The copyright law is about distributing something to someone else. The authors right, is using someone's idea in the full extend. (which is why you can get a patent for something). In the authors right, you cannot duplicate something someone else made and claim it to be your own because you did something with it too. With patents involved, it doesn't have to be the full product. The patent describes what the purpose/idea is behind the product, and if it matches, the rights are automatically assigned to the person holding the patent.
on the left, above my avatar.

MODPlug Central Forum
"If I tried to kill you, I'd end up with a big fat hole through my laptop." - Chironex

Offline utherdoul

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 20, 2009, 14:19:05 »
I just want to point out that in my original post (which seemed to start this legality discussion), I wasn't suggesting that anyone should (or that I did) download the embedded swf. I was just hoping to point out that it was browser-based, not downloadable.

Sorry for any implication towards hacking or anything in that vein! I assumed it was illegal anyway.

Offline Pumpkinbot

• No terrain is too hard. Not even dragons.
    • View Profile
    • My DeviantART page
« Reply #13 on: April 26, 2009, 06:02:06 »
Wow, this is cool! But is there any way to beat it with the goo? I beat it with the machine and the alarm clock, but...
EDIT: Oh, yes you can. Not done yet, though.
Spoiler: (click to show/hide)
EDIT2: Sweet, all three endings, and I get epic-ness. X) Beat it. It's worth it. :D
« Last Edit: April 26, 2009, 06:19:03 by Pumpkinbot »
A God, a Messiah, an Angel, a King, a Prince, and an All Terrain Vehicle.