New colorcodes implemented!

• 14 Replies

Offline LPChip

• You can only truly help other people by allowing them to fail.
  • Excel at the thing you're the best at!
    • View Profile
    • LPChip Interactive
New colorcodes implemented!
« on: July 05, 2013, 13:39:32 »
During a discussion somewhere at the forum here, it became apparent that you sometimes want to colour things based on how important they are, not so much based on a color. The reason is that altough with the following code you can do colors that look good in every forum theme, it does not always stand out the same.
Code: [Select]
[cr]red[/cr]
[cy]yellow[/cy]
etc...

Now I've created the following:
Code: [Select]
[c=?]your text here [/c]
the ? can be a value from 1 to 4. It will give an indication of how important that color is related to the theme the user selects. So 1 is very important, and 4 is not so much important, but still more important than standard text. The colors have been optimised so 1 stands out more than 2 and the colors are different from eachother for recognising different things in case you use all 4 mixed. (so the more important things stand out, but the less important things are still noticeable.

Below you can see how this works in your theme. Select a different theme in the bottom right corner of any page to see how it looks in different themes.

This is the dominant color
This one is near dominant
I'm not that important
I'm not important at all
and I'm the regular color.

If you have any questions, feel free to ask. I am not considering adding more colors than 4 simply because finding 4 good colors was already a challenge.
on the left, above my avatar.

MODPlug Central Forum
"If I tried to kill you, I'd end up with a big fat hole through my laptop." - Chironex

Offline sergiocornaga

• View Profile
    • Sergio's Games
Re: New colorcodes implemented!
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2013, 16:25:03 »
Nice, but it seems like there are no colours defined for the Knytt/default theme?

Offline LPChip

• View Profile
    • LPChip Interactive
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2013, 17:08:09 »
Nice, but it seems like there are no colours defined for the Knytt/default theme?

Yes there are, all themes are affected by the colorcode. I tested it with all themes including the Knytt Edition one. Either something is wrong on your end, or you did something wrong when trying to use the code.

Edit: are you maybe using a replacement for style.css that overrides the one on this theme? Then you need to update your style.css file in your browser.
« Last Edit: July 05, 2013, 17:58:33 by LPChip »

MODPlug Central Forum
"If I tried to kill you, I'd end up with a big fat hole through my laptop." - Chironex

Offline Firecat

• Every bit is important.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2013, 18:06:21 »
Here's a side by side comparision to each theme colors:
There's 110011 kinds of people in the world. Those who understand binary, Those who don't, and those who confuse it with ASCII.

Offline Raicuparta

• Rai
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2013, 20:57:18 »

Yes there are, all themes are affected by the colorcode. I tested it with all themes including the Knytt Edition one. Either something is wrong on your end, or you did something wrong when trying to use the code.

Edit: are you maybe using a replacement for style.css that overrides the one on this theme? Then you need to update your style.css file in your browser.
I didn't see the colors as well at first, but when I came back to report it, it was working.

From my experience with css, I think they stick in cache for some time, I remember having to switch browsers because even CTRL+F5 didn't refresh my website's css.

Offline LPChip

• View Profile
    • LPChip Interactive
« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2013, 21:02:42 »
Really? This is the first time I hear about CSS being cached. I developed this with Firefox, but also often I do it with opera, and with neither, I have had this problem.

MODPlug Central Forum

Offline sergiocornaga

• View Profile
    • Sergio's Games
« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2013, 22:32:32 »
The colours are indeed working in another browser! Nothing I do makes them appear in my main browser, though. All other themes are working normally.

Offline LPChip

• View Profile
    • LPChip Interactive
« Reply #7 on: July 05, 2013, 23:02:44 »
What is your main browser, and do you have anything enabled related to custom css?

MODPlug Central Forum

Offline BloxMaster

• Master of the Bloxes!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 06, 2013, 00:10:39 »
Ah, man. This is neat. Unfortunately I don't know when I'd ever use this, but thank you, LPChip, for implementing it anyways. 8)

Offline SiamJai

• View Profile
    • A gaming blog like no other.
« Reply #9 on: July 06, 2013, 16:34:54 »
What is your main browser, and do you have anything enabled related to custom css?
Probably Chrome, because I get the same issue using that browser. Works in Firefox though - neat idea! :)

(edit: it actually works in the Knytt theme, in Chrome, but not on my main theme, X-mas.)
« Last Edit: July 06, 2013, 16:40:12 by SiamJai »

Offline Widget

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 06, 2013, 17:15:07 »
That's absolutely perfect for what I'm working on, thankyou very much! :)

Edit: I forgot to ask earlier, is there any theme-sensitive way to force the default text colour?
« Last Edit: July 06, 2013, 19:33:07 by Widget »

Offline LPChip

• View Profile
    • LPChip Interactive
« Reply #11 on: July 06, 2013, 23:33:22 »
No. But you should not want to do this. Any change in the textcolor for links that will make a link look like normal text will cause the user to miss it. Its bad practice really.

MODPlug Central Forum

Offline Widget

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 07, 2013, 00:49:59 »
I know it's bad practice, but the links on which I was using something similar were of zero value to the vast majority of end-users. I decided that rather than axing them entirely, or adding yet another colour (which, by that point, would've had to be something clashing or dayglo), they may as well be returned to the default text colour and explained in the key (which would necessarily have been at least passingly familiar to anyone wanting that level of information density anyway).

tl;dr: Yes, it's bad practice but, in my opinion, less offensive than a garishly multicoloured wall of text.

Still, thankyou for the answer ;)
« Last Edit: July 08, 2013, 09:34:17 by Widget »

Offline sergiocornaga

• View Profile
    • Sergio's Games
« Reply #13 on: July 07, 2013, 11:53:17 »
Colours are working for me everywhere now, which adds credence to the cache theory!

Offline LPChip

• View Profile
    • LPChip Interactive
« Reply #14 on: July 07, 2013, 12:32:11 »
Great to hear. :)

MODPlug Central Forum