A Night Sky clone has appeared

• 2 Replies

Offline Qqwy

• View Profile
A Night Sky clone has appeared
« on: November 09, 2013, 20:30:28 »
Hey there, everyone.

Today I happened to stumble across Type:Rider on Steam.

This game is $2.99 on Android and $9.99 on Steam. The art style is VEEERY similar to the art style used for Night Sky: black silhouettes with colourful backgrounds. You play the game as two balls, (if I understood it right, they form a colon : ) doing physics-based puzzles.

It's gameplay and art style are so extremely close to Night Sky that I have to wonder how original their ideas are...

Offline LPChip

• You can only truly help other people by allowing them to fail.
  • Excel at the thing you're the best at!
    • View Profile
    • LPChip Interactive
Re: A Night Sky clone has appeared
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2013, 21:37:47 »
Its not that close. Some things are, and some things aren't. I also see things of limbo in there, but with the vast majority of games out there, how easy is it to have an own style nowadays? Its not a complete clone in the sense that its nearly the same game in terms of levels and so. It has some coincidences, but NightSky has its own unique game meganism, that is not present there. Besides, at the time of NightSky there were other games with a silhouette appearance too.
on the left, above my avatar.

MODPlug Central Forum
"If I tried to kill you, I'd end up with a big fat hole through my laptop." - Chironex

Offline Nifflas

• View Profile
Re: A Night Sky clone has appeared
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2013, 01:21:52 »
I personally don't mind, and it seems different enough to me. A google image search signals that the game looks quite different from mine. The mechanics appears to be two spheres attached with a fixed joint that can jump, which in itself is totally different from NightSky. Besides, I take a lot of inspiration from other games in stuff I create and don't pretend to have invented the shadow style. In case Type:Rider takes inspiration from my game (which I'm not even sure they did), it's an honor. I only take offense to direct ripoffs, like the stuff Vlambeer have had to put up with.

As for Type:Rider, I only wish them the best luck with their game.
« Last Edit: November 14, 2013, 01:26:44 by Nifflas »