Official Beta Testing Recruitment Thread

• 73 Replies

Offline Fubaka

• We are the music makers.
    • View Profile
    • My Music Page
Official Beta Testing Recruitment Thread
« on: March 02, 2014, 12:21:55 »
Gleetings Nifflasites, Knyttists, and/or other silly names that you could hang on your door!

I'd like to set this thread up as a place where people can officially request to have a level of theirs beta-tested.  Here's how it'll go.

A user makes a post with the following information in bold or otherwise highlighted:

• The name (or codename) of the level.
  • Its type and difficulty.
  • Its size. (planned and current)
  • Progress status as of posting. (in percentage or other format)
  • # of beta testers wanted. (anywhere from just one to potentially infinite)
  • Mod used. (if any)
  • Additional information. (preferably in a separate paragraph)

Here is an example of what a user posting a request should roughly look like:

The Adventures of Anti-Juni (Working Title)

[Challenge/Scenic/Very Hard]
Large (Medium as of now)
Level is about 64% done
Looking for at least 3 testers
Uses Ego's KS +

I am looking to break typical Knytt conventions with this level, and make it unlike anything players have seen up to now.  I'd mainly like for my beta testers to play through it and then offer me their thoughts about how I could make it more unique and befitting my goals (which will be elaborated on in private), as well as spotting wallswims/voids as per usual.  Lemme know if you are interested and I will send you more info as well as a link to the level.

Once a posting has been made, users who want to beta test should follow the instructions given by the poster, which may involve making a post of their own to announce their interest in testing, or to send a PM to the original poster if that's what they want done.  Additionally, someone posting their beta test request can post a link to their level directly for a more public test, so long as they remember not to directly attach the level to the forum!

Remember that if you are beta-testing a level, you should ALWAYS respect the wishes of the person who is making the level, and don't post anything about it here that they don't want you to.

One last note.  Once a user requesting beta testers has finished testing, or acquired the testers they want, they should modify their post to let people know that more testers are no longer needed.  This can be done by simply placing a notice at the beginning, and/or placing the original post in a spoiler box.

That is all.  Here's to more well-polished KS levels!
Things to remember when writing figures of speech and sound:
The power of poetry comes from the ability to defy logic. Defy logic often.

Use a metaphor and tell us that your lover is the sky. Tell us that your lover is the sky. When you do that, we won't believe you. We won't believe you because saying so makes no sense, but we'll see a meaning. We'll see a meaning.

The other thing is the ability to be remembered. Love anything.

Love anything

Offline Fubaka

• View Profile
    • My Music Page
Re: Official Beta Testing Recruitment Thread
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2014, 09:43:43 »
Also, if it wasn't obvious from the making of this thread, I am currently working on a new KS level again, and will request beta testers when the time comes.

It's good to be back.  :)

Use a metaphor and tell us that your lover is the sky. Tell us that your lover is the sky. When you do that, we won't believe you. We won't believe you because saying so makes no sense, but we'll see a meaning. We'll see a meaning.

Love anything

Offline GrayFace

• View Profile
    • my site
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2014, 02:55:56 »
Great idea. In addition to mentioned fields I'd propose the link to level thread, if it exists.

Offline Salmoneous

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2014, 17:32:57 »
I have an idea for level which builds on the woods environment I made which is in released levels board. I have not started anything but idea is done so I came here to see if this thread will work or not and its good way to get forcestart projects haha :)
It is also like no other ks level and maybe like no game idk but excited to try it.

no name yet

[Challenge/Scenic/Horror/Easy]
Medium (I think 40-50 screens will suffice for this)
Level is not even started but I will like copypaste woods level because these screens take time to make haha.
Looking for any amount of testers, no chumps who don't leave feedback.
Uses Ego's KS +

Offline egomassive

• View Profile
    • egomassive games
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2014, 22:48:46 »
I have not started anything but idea is done so I came here to see if this thread will work or not and its good way to get forcestart projects haha :)
So, there's nothing to test but the idea? Well then, I volunteer to test nothing but the idea.
It's a smashing good idea! I like Horror games, and I enjoyed the look and feel of Woods by Andy A.K.A. Elder A.K.A. Slmoneous.

« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2014, 04:07:30 »
I have an idea for level which builds on the woods environment I made which is in released levels board. I have not started anything but idea is done so I came here to see if this thread will work or not and its good way to get forcestart projects haha :)
It is also like no other ks level and maybe like no game idk but excited to try it.

no name yet

[Challenge/Scenic/Horror/Easy]
Medium (I think 40-50 screens will suffice for this)
Level is not even started but I will like copypaste woods level because these screens take time to make haha.
Looking for any amount of testers, no chumps who don't leave feedback.
Uses Ego's KS +

I volunteer to be a beta tester! (When it's ready.)

Offline GrayFace

• View Profile
    • my site
« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2014, 14:49:31 »
Me too.

Offline Kira

• I can see u now !
    • View Profile
    • illustrators-web-gallery
« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2014, 16:02:19 »
Me too.
I do not speak English very well. I apologize in advance for my mistakes or my misunderstanding.

Offline Vegetal Gibber

• Sorry excuse for a game designer
    • View Profile
    • VG's Games Portfolio
« Reply #8 on: August 24, 2015, 21:43:03 »
Edit: Already got the two volunteers I asked for. Thanks guys! :)

This is not exactly a request for beta testers, but I figured it would be a much better idea to make use of this thread than starting a new one just for this.

I'm currently working on a KS level and I got to a point where I could definitely use some external input to help me see if I'm going in the right direction. I first thought about making a public preview thread, but since this level is quite gimmicky and experimental, I feel the "surprise" factor would be lost if I reveal too much beforehand. I'd rather keep everything a secret until the release, if possible :P

Would anyone be interested in trying a preview build of this level and giving me their general thoughts on it? It's a pretty short level (at least in its current incomplete state), so it shouldn't take much longer than 5 minutes to reach the end. Post here or PM me if you're willing to give it a shot. There's not much I can give in exchange, but I promise you a :hiddenstar: and a mention in the level credits.

[Misc/Challenge] [Easy]
[Small] (for now, but it'll probably stay that way)
Level is about 70% done
Looking for 1 or 2 testers
« Last Edit: August 25, 2015, 13:35:17 by Vegetal Gibber »
Some KS levels by me:

Offline Fubaka

• View Profile
    • My Music Page
« Reply #9 on: August 25, 2015, 04:32:01 »
I'll take that offer, Mr. Gibber.

Love anything

Offline Vegetal Gibber

• View Profile
    • VG's Games Portfolio
« Reply #10 on: August 25, 2015, 13:30:37 »
Thanks! :D I'll try to get the preview version ready today (just some cleaning up to remove temporary files and such). I'll then get back to you by PM with the download link and further explanations.

Ok, seems I already got the 2 volunteers I asked for, so I'll edit my original post.
Some KS levels by me:

Offline SC

• Ha-ha-ha! Videogames! *laugh track*
    • View Profile
    • My personal website!
« Reply #11 on: August 26, 2015, 10:39:10 »
Okay, you know what? I think this is the PERFECT place to have people try out my unfinished level, cause I'm not sure if I should even finish it and I would love to have player input on it.

Runaround (title is not set in stone)

[Challenge/Misc/Medium]
Small
Level is about 60-70% done (maybe; rough estimate)
Looking for anyone who's willing to test and bring me feedback!
Works in vanilla KS, but wouldn't be against converting to KS+ if need be

This was originally going to be my entry for August's Knytt of the Month Klub over at GT, but since I'm such a lazy asshole who can barely finish what he starts, I've been sitting on it for the past two weeks. Whenever I go back to it, there's just something telling me that I shouldn't finish it. But I'm going to CHANGE that, because I actually DO want to get this level done. It's a short, humorous level, that takes inspiration from Don't Eat the Mushroom and the last part of My Super Secret Basement (even though I didn't know I copied those things at the time). :P
« Last Edit: August 26, 2015, 10:41:45 by SC »

Offline Fubaka

• View Profile
    • My Music Page
« Reply #12 on: August 26, 2015, 16:32:26 »
I'll test your level, SC. Should be fun.

Love anything

Offline Vegetal Gibber

• View Profile
    • VG's Games Portfolio
« Reply #13 on: August 26, 2015, 18:17:20 »
If you need one more tester, I'd be glad to give it a shot too.
Some KS levels by me:

Offline plural

• twice shy
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 28, 2015, 09:43:50 »
Testing is no longer needed.
Spoiler: (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: September 02, 2015, 07:38:52 by plural »