The Community Tileset Project

• 254 Replies

Offline Fubaka

• We are the music makers.
    • View Profile
    • My Music Page
The Community Tileset Project
« on: March 06, 2014, 13:50:36 »
I'd like to start a game, if you will, revolving around the creation of tilesets, so we may have more lovely tilesets to use in our levels.

The premise of this game is simple.  A tileset is introduced with the first eight squares filled.  from there, each person who plays needs to fill in another eight squares of the tileset (no more, no less) based on the previously filled spaces, until the tileset is completed.  Upon completion, the last player gives it a name, and another tileset collage may begin.

Every tileset made in this thread will be made for public use.  No person may hold claim to any part of them or demand credit if they are used in a level.

Here are le rules:

No more rules, just start a project and I will put it up on this post, someone else can then add to it and post it below.

In the Spoiler box below are the completed tilesets, as well as any additional graphics, COs or alternate versions.  Check here for previous projects.
Spoiler: Past Projects (click to show/hide)

Attached are the the latest versions of the current projects.  Once the latest versions are on this post, please remove them from your post.

Let's have some fun with this!

[mod]Made sticky, so the first post is visible on all pages which really helps with this project.[/mod]
« Last Edit: May 21, 2018, 20:40:48 by Fubaka »
Things to remember when writing figures of speech and sound:
The power of poetry comes from the ability to defy logic. Defy logic often.

Use a metaphor and tell us that your lover is the sky. Tell us that your lover is the sky. When you do that, we won't believe you. We won't believe you because saying so makes no sense, but we'll see a meaning. We'll see a meaning.

The other thing is the ability to be remembered. Love anything.

Love anything

Re: The Community Tileset Project
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2014, 17:12:34 »
I made extra side and corner versions of what you added. The two bottom tiles I added have a dark outline on the bottom. Did you intend for only the top tiles to have an outline? I think it would look best if all of them (except the center one) had a somewhat darker outline that isn't completely black, like the area of your top tiles right below the black pixels. Tell me if you want me to get rid of the outline on the tiles I added.

This looks like a crystal themed tileset to me.

Possible styles I can see this tileset using well:
  • A blocky theme where almost everything is made up of blocks or parts of them, like how minecraft has slabs (half blocks) and stairs.
  • Simply a crystal-style tileset that has an unexpected theme because it's made by many people.
Other ideas:
  • A bridge and custom coloured water? A custom object could be added onto the water that copies the animation exactly except for the colour?
  • Versions of tiles that have a bit of dirt, so small plants can be put on top.

I made my small additions in MS Paint, so magneta is used to create transparancy. Tell me if I need to switch to another program because my edits might erase transparancy.
EDIT: I'm dowloading GIMP and remaking my edits there. I'm not exactly sure what you mean by removing tilesets LPChip, but I'm deleting my MS Paint version(s) from this post
Edit by LPChip: When people add to the tilesets, and they all attach it here, you get 200000 attachments with the same tileset each having 4 more tiles. Obviously only the latest version is required to work on it, so all older ones should be removed if possible. :)

EDIT 2: I can't get transparency to work in GIMP. Can someone help?
EDIT 3: If someone wants to make an addition the orginal (Fubaka's version) go ahead.
« Last Edit: March 06, 2014, 19:10:16 by Caveflower »

Offline LPChip

• You can only truly help other people by allowing them to fail.
  • Excel at the thing you're the best at!
    • View Profile
    • LPChip Interactive
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2014, 17:21:00 »
Yes, MS Paint will remove transparancy. I recommend paint.net, gimp or photoshop.

Also, I'd like to request to remove tilesets from posts when they're no longer needed because otherwise it'll be a waste of forumspace.
on the left, above my avatar.

MODPlug Central Forum
"If I tried to kill you, I'd end up with a big fat hole through my laptop." - Chironex

Offline Fubaka

• View Profile
    • My Music Page
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2014, 20:06:34 »
Also, I'd like to request to remove tilesets from posts when they're no longer needed because otherwise it'll be a waste of forumspace.

Understood.  I'll add that as a rule.

Did you intend for only the top tiles to have an outline? I think it would look best if all of them (except the center one) had a somewhat darker outline that isn't completely black, like the area of your top tiles right below the black pixels.

Typically what I do is add a dark tint line to the top tiles and a light tint line to the bottom ones.  The middle ones I usually leave untouched.

custom coloured water?

This doesn't need to be drawn in the tileset, especially if you want it to move.

As for program, if you have photoshop, use it.  If not, Paint.net is the second best choice here.  I used it to get this tileset started, since I don't have my own copy of photoshop at home.
« Last Edit: March 06, 2014, 20:14:36 by Fubaka »

Use a metaphor and tell us that your lover is the sky. Tell us that your lover is the sky. When you do that, we won't believe you. We won't believe you because saying so makes no sense, but we'll see a meaning. We'll see a meaning.

Love anything

Offline Fubaka

• View Profile
    • My Music Page
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2014, 01:03:12 »
I have decided, for the sake of brevity, that the number of squares you add per turn is now 8, instead of 4.

Love anything

Offline Firecat

• Every bit is important.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2014, 21:17:17 »
I added the remaining side tile, as well as additional edges for single-tile areas. I used my last tile for some kind of "Background Wall".
Edit: As per rules, I removed this version of the tileset.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2014, 19:57:58 by Firecat »
There's 110011 kinds of people in the world. Those who understand binary, Those who don't, and those who confuse it with ASCII.

Offline Fubaka

• View Profile
    • My Music Page
« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2014, 22:51:55 »
I added the remaining side tile, as well as additional edges for single-tile areas. I used my last tile for some kind of "Background Wall".[/amidoingthisright?]

Ah, interesting choice.  That'll change this tileset's dynamic a bit.

Love anything

Offline egomassive

• View Profile
    • egomassive games
« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2014, 03:42:19 »
I added some crystalline plants.

Edit: Removed picture as per topic rules
« Last Edit: March 09, 2014, 04:07:41 by egomassive »

Offline Fubaka

• View Profile
    • My Music Page
« Reply #8 on: March 08, 2014, 04:47:03 »
I added some crystalline plants.

Nice one.

Love anything

Offline egomassive

• View Profile
    • egomassive games
« Reply #9 on: March 09, 2014, 04:12:41 »
This is a fun idea. I hope the topic gets popular, so I can contribute more. *gives Fubaka a star*

Offline Polana

• LOCP and proud
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 09, 2014, 12:38:14 »
I add some more background stuff and I decided to build an example screen to show what I've meant.
I hope more people will contribute because my stuff needs a few more tiles to be complete.
Edit: Tileset removed, but I will leave example screen here until someone makes new one.
Edit 2: Example screen is not necessary now so I will remove it.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2014, 12:50:01 by Polana »

Offline Fubaka

• View Profile
    • My Music Page
« Reply #11 on: March 10, 2014, 00:26:14 »
I add some more background stuff and I decided to build an example screen to show what I've meant.
I hope more people will contribute because my stuff needs a few more tiles to be complete.

Your addition was a very neat idea.  I like the idea of half-height background tiles.

Love anything

Offline Polana

• LOCP and proud
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 10, 2014, 16:44:41 »
Thanks. I think that those "traditional" sloped background tiles wouldn't fit Egomassive's crystalline plants at all.
Also, I like your idea with new community tileset.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2014, 22:18:00 by Polana »

Offline Dj Gopher

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 12, 2014, 20:12:12 »
Polana can you re-upload your edit?
We can't continue without it :P

Offline Fubaka

• View Profile
    • My Music Page
« Reply #14 on: March 12, 2014, 20:19:17 »
Polana can you re-upload your edit?
We can't continue without it :P

It's on the first post, with the (Latest) parenthesis on it.

Love anything