@Nifflas, questions about your favorite games etc.

• 6 Replies

Offline Wrenbot

• View Profile
    • Wikia wiki for all Nifflas' Games
@Nifflas, questions about your favorite games etc.
« on: August 07, 2014, 19:21:55 »
I didn't see an "Ask Nifflas" forum so I'm just going to post this here:

• Which of your own games do you enjoy playing the most?
  • What's your favorite genre? (of games)
  • Is there a genre you're fed up of working on by now, or want to take a break from? (for example 2D platformers)
  • Is there a game or type of game that you'd love to make, but haven't been able to?
  • Is there a Twitter where we can bug you with these kind of questions?

- just a curious fan :katt:
Check out the wiki at Nifflas.Wikia.com and help out! It needs entries and screenshots for characters, lore, secrets and easter eggs!

Offline Nifflas

• View Profile
Re: @Nifflas, questions about your favorite games etc.
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2014, 23:14:38 »
Hey! I'm not around on the forums super much, got such a full schedule these days, but I thought I'd pop in :)

* Journey is probably my favorite game, been playing and glitching it out like crazy, and its approach to multiplayer is amazing.

* As for favorite genre, I'm mostly into 2D and 3D platformers, challenging puzzle games, or atmospheric stuff like Proteus. Also, I love very experimental games that explores completely new territory, even though I don't go super wild myself when I do games.

* Not really, but I'm on a new tool now and am learning 3D. For a while, I'll probably do something very different from what I've done before.

* There are tons of 3D games I've wanted to do but not have had the skill to make yet.

* Sure :) @NicklasNygren

Offline Wrenbot

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2014, 23:17:58 »
Thanks!!

* Journey is probably my favorite game, been playing and glitching it out like crazy, and its approach to multiplayer is amazing.

I'd love to play Journey though I don't have a PS3, so hoping it'll come to the Vita or PS4, but I meant your favorite among the games you have made.  :^^: like WADF, KU...
Check out the wiki at Nifflas.Wikia.com and help out! It needs entries and screenshots for characters, lore, secrets and easter eggs!

Offline Nifflas

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2014, 01:44:39 »
I don't actually know, that's a tricky one. It was even a long time since I played many of them, and each has different aspects I like. I like Knytt, it managed to express something through very simple means. On the other hand, NightSky was super playful to put together, I had not worked with physics before and really enjoyed building those weird machines. I like Knytt Underground for mirroring my total confusion over completely changing my perspective on life, but because of how personal some aspects are, I have a harder time reading reviews and comments about it than with any of my other games regardless of how positive or negative they are.

Affordable Space Adventures on the other hand is the game where I've ventured the furthest away from conventional mechanics (the gamepad stuff is pretty unusual) and is in terms of how it's engineered my favorite. Where programming the player character has been relatively simple in most of my other games, several months of work went into only the spaceship.

Offline Wrenbot

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2014, 03:13:42 »
I like Knytt Underground for mirroring my total confusion over completely changing my perspective on life, but because of how personal some aspects are, I have a harder time reading reviews and comments about it than with any of my other games regardless of how positive or negative they are.

Well, for what it's worth, I absolutely love KU for its world, freedom of exploration, and of course the music which makes everything even better. That's the most important thing: You created a world. A world that can tell more than one story.

For me the quests or ending didn't matter as much as enjoying the journey, and I think that was your intention as well.

KU was the first Nifflas game I had played, on the Vita, and it made me interested in your other work. I actually just finished WADF for the first time literally an hour ago. I enjoyed The Great Work for the same reasons as KU and finished that a few days ago.

Until I can get a Wii U and check out ASA, KU's probably going to remain my favorite Nifflas game, as well as one of my all-time favorites ever. I hope you'll return to making other worlds where we can take a break from this one in. ;)

Offline the Jack

• not *that* Jack!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2014, 21:30:11 »
I like Knytt Underground for mirroring my total confusion over completely changing my perspective on life, but because of how personal some aspects are, I have a harder time reading reviews and comments about it than with any of my other games regardless of how positive or negative they are.

For what it's worth, Nifflas, I quite understand having put so much of oneself into a creative work that other people's reactions to it, whether positive, negative or neutral, are difficult to engage with. That said, I love Knytt Underground, and knowing that it is so personal for you makes me appreciate it even more.

(Also, the preview video for AFA looks awesome, and might finally be the Nifflas game I can get my spouse -- who's somehow never been a fan of platform games despite being wonderful in every other way -- hooked on.)

Actually, it's eggplant.

Offline Wrenbot

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2014, 22:36:50 »
One other question Nifflas: Your page on Wikipedia said that you live in Umeå, Sweden, and it's looks like a really nice place. How much of your physical environs have provided inspiration for your games?

The Nordic regions in general are a really beautiful part of the world. Is there any place in particular that has really moved you, or that you would like to include an homage or reference to in your game-worlds?