Possible to create down-draft?

• 2 Replies
Possible to create down-draft?
« on: July 10, 2015, 18:19:56 »
I've been using the up-draft object (object 5, bank 15 "Objects & Areas"). This object pushes Juni upwards when the umbrella is open.

Is it possible to modify this object, (or make a new object?), to make a down-draft? This hypothetical object pushes Juni downwards when the umbrella is open.

I'm working with the most recent version (as of July 9, 2015) of egomassive's Knytt Stories Plus.

Any suggestions are appreciated.  :)

Offline egomassive

• View Profile
    • egomassive games
Re: Possible to create down-draft?
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2015, 05:51:22 »
There is no object of that description in the game. I can't think of a good way to fake it with the tools available. You can take the umbrella away with a Shift (which will close it in KS+.) You can make it open or close with the 'D' object, Bank 0 Object 251.

On adding such an object, I need to be convinced that it's useful. I can imagine some very difficult challenges and also some nasty surprises. Overall, falling is usually the easy part; it's going up that's challenging.

Offline BloxMaster

• Master of the Bloxes!
    • View Profile
Re: Possible to create down-draft?
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2015, 18:50:36 »
I never really thought about this. Since it introduces a movement-related change, it would need to be implemented such that it doesn't mess with the player's existing movement code. (That shouldn't be too hard, especially if it's tied only to a specific object, but still, the consideration has to be made). Additionally there's the question of exactly how it functions - does it not affect the player when the umbrella is not deployed? Therefore being an exact opposite of the current object, or does it additionally cause her to fall faster without regard to the umbrella, etc? The latter is when it has to be implemented very carefully and while a downdraft is a neat idea, I personally fear for entire screens consisting entirely of updrafts running into downdrafts and navigating between them in a perilous way. As Ego stated, it's actually quite easy for to Juni to fall in comparison with gaining height (even by climbing she's much slower), so the idea of using the object for any sort of navigation besides in conjunction with the updraft object in a confined and challenging series of screens is sort of besides the point. The problem that mainly worries me about using these in a challenge, particularly in conjunction with the updraft is that it's going to be hard to tell them apart. And again, navigation-wise, they don't offer a lot Juni can't do by falling already.