[Game] Friendly Peter

• 4 Replies

Offline Vegetal Gibber

• Sorry excuse for a game designer
    • View Profile
    • VG's Games Portfolio
[Game] Friendly Peter
« on: August 01, 2015, 19:16:12 »

This is a very small game that was developed by me and a friend of mine during a 48-hour game jam event (Familiar Game Jam Vol. 3). The main themes of this competition were "mysanthropy" and "neon colors".

Your task in this game is to help "Friendly" Peter, our cranky and antisocial hero, to run an urgent errand for his sister while trying to avoid making any sort of contact with other people, as doing so will quickly drain Peter's patience. The game will be over if your patience reaches zero.

You can download the game or play it directly on your browser here:

http://gamejolt.com/games/friendly-peter/36203

(HTML5 and WebGL compliant browser required for the web version)
« Last Edit: August 01, 2015, 21:01:52 by Vegetal Gibber »
Some KS levels by me:

Offline egomassive

• View Profile
    • egomassive games
Re: [Game] Friendly Peter
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2015, 20:30:57 »
This is hard, but enjoyable. Not bad at all for a game made quickly. I could probably beat it with a little practice and a little luck.

Offline Vegetal Gibber

• View Profile
    • VG's Games Portfolio
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2015, 21:53:22 »
Thanks for giving it a shot! It does depend a bit on luck, since the movements of idle NPCs are pretty much random and this can cause the "chatty" enemies to group together and surround you. It becomes easier once you locate all the vending machines, because this allows you to plan your route and apply some basic strategies.

Some KS levels by me:

Offline AA

• Was ITA84
    • View Profile
    • Insight on Videogames
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2015, 17:52:35 »
Finished on first try, so I guess I got lucky. Indeed the randomness makes it a bit hard, but if you take your time it's not that bad since everything recovers with time (maybe with a timer it'd have been more challenging/frustrating ^^). There was a vending machine that was overcrowded, but since it was the last one I just sprinted to it and won before losing all patience.

In short, pretty fun game all things considered. I've seen other similar games fail horribly at some things which you got right (zoom, enemy field of view, etc.).
Videogames are for everyone, by everyone

Offline Vegetal Gibber

• View Profile
    • VG's Games Portfolio
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2015, 00:29:01 »
Thanks for playing and sharing your opinion! Glad you got to see the ending.

We had very little time to calibrate the difficulty of the game due to the 48-hour limit, but I tried my best to make it as well balanced as possible without changing the basic mechanics we already had.

I did post a small update shortly after the competition ended, adding some bonus achievements (using GameJolt's trophy and leaderboard system). There are trophies for beating the game under various time limits, activating the vending machines in a certain order, never going below 50% stamina and some other special conditions.
Some KS levels by me: