[Environmental/Misc][Easy][Small] At the Zoo

• 8 Replies

Offline Healy

• View Profile
[Environmental/Misc][Easy][Small] At the Zoo
« on: July 25, 2015, 21:39:32 »
If you can access the secret boards, you may have seen this level in an earlier form, but now the final version is out!

Some background: I donated a custom Knytt Stories level to Spring Thing this year, and now, a few months after the comp finished, the level is done. Special thanks to B Minus Seven for picking the prize!

Anyway, At the Zoo is about Juni searching for her friends at, well, the zoo. It's a pretty short piece (only twenty screens) and there are no challenging bits. Instead it's focused around atmosphere and little overheard snatches of dialogue. Give it a try, I bet you'll like it!

(Music is a shortened version of this track.)

Download the level here, or here at Knytt Levels!
« Last Edit: December 26, 2015, 19:34:35 by Healy »

Offline Fubaka

• We are the music makers.
    • View Profile
    • My Music Page
Re: [Environmental/Misc][Easy][Small] At the Zoo
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2015, 21:49:38 »
Not bad. Not bad at all!

I do kind of wish it was bigger. Maybe you could have some kind of story where Juni has to, for whatever reason, make her way through the exhibits themselves and avoid the animals in the process.

That's what I would have done, at any rate.
Things to remember when writing figures of speech and sound:
The power of poetry comes from the ability to defy logic. Defy logic often.

Use a metaphor and tell us that your lover is the sky. Tell us that your lover is the sky. When you do that, we won't believe you. We won't believe you because saying so makes no sense, but we'll see a meaning. We'll see a meaning.

The other thing is the ability to be remembered. Love anything.

Love anything

Offline sergiocornaga

• View Profile
    • Sergio's Games
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2015, 03:17:50 »
Cute level! It reminded me a lot of In the Subway, probably because of the shared tileset.

Offline egomassive

• View Profile
    • egomassive games
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2015, 06:57:21 »
What? No radios?

It was a fun little level. My first thought when I'd finished was that you continue to make such enjoyable levels with existing materials, while I've just spent 2 weeks making half of a tileset. The cutscene in the middle reminded me of the cutscenes in A Day at the Beach. There's something about these scenes I find incredibly inspiring.

Offline Vegetal Gibber

• Sorry excuse for a game designer
    • View Profile
    • VG's Games Portfolio
« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2015, 13:51:24 »
That was nice and relaxing. The aquarium section was my favorite (the fact that I'm on vacation at the beach might have something to do with that... even a virtual mass of water looks really refreshing right now :P ). The interactive panel was also a nice touch.
Some KS levels by me:

Offline Healy

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2015, 21:33:30 »
Thanks for the comments guys!

Not bad. Not bad at all!

I do kind of wish it was bigger. Maybe you could have some kind of story where Juni has to, for whatever reason, make her way through the exhibits themselves and avoid the animals in the process.

That's what I would have done, at any rate.
I think both B Minus Seven and I agreed that this particular level should be a pure environmental level. That said, I should have a challenge level coming up. We'll see if I can finish it, though.

Offline CWolvie

• Expect the unexpected.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2015, 19:32:30 »
The zoo is my favorite theme of KS level so I like it a lot :). And I don't mind if it's a short level, because less is sometimes more.
Finished levels:
(my first try)

“Oh heart, if one should say to you that the soul perishes like the body, answer that the flower withers, but the seed remains.” ~ Khalil Gibran

Offline pfrangip

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2015, 04:01:53 »
Cute little ditty. Would've appreciated more, but it was cute as is.  C)

Offline yohji

• View Profile
    • Jashiin's Portfolio
« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2016, 00:46:06 »
I love KS zoo levels, and this one was a terrific execution of the concept. I'm tempted to say the best I've seen, but I may have forgotten some levels from way back... eh. Anyway, I particularly liked the cave exhibit and the aquarium - both felt like a real zoo.