[Photo] Awesome full moon

• 11 Replies

Offline LPChip

• You can only truly help other people by allowing them to fail.
  • Excel at the thing you're the best at!
    • View Profile
    • LPChip Interactive
[Photo] Awesome full moon
« on: August 30, 2015, 15:12:21 »
Last night a full moon was seen above the skies where I live. The sight was really cool so I decided to make a photo.

Although my phone has a really good camera, nothing beats a proper photo camera. As the human eye sees things differently than a photo camera does, I had to make 2 photo's with different lighting settings in order to get the same view as my eyes did. The clouds were made with a brighter lighting setting while the moon was set with very little light exposure to give its proper view. I merged those together to get the following image.

I hope you like it as much as I do, because god, that picture does look good to me.

click to enlarge
on the left, above my avatar.

MODPlug Central Forum
"If I tried to kill you, I'd end up with a big fat hole through my laptop." - Chironex

Offline Fubaka

• We are the music makers.
    • View Profile
    • My Music Page
Re: [Photo] Awesome full moon
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2015, 17:47:26 »
Mmm, it really was that orange to you?

I remember seeing that same full moon last night, although I was half a world away. Coincidentally, it was also a bit more yellow than usual.
Things to remember when writing figures of speech and sound:
The power of poetry comes from the ability to defy logic. Defy logic often.

Use a metaphor and tell us that your lover is the sky. Tell us that your lover is the sky. When you do that, we won't believe you. We won't believe you because saying so makes no sense, but we'll see a meaning. We'll see a meaning.

The other thing is the ability to be remembered. Love anything.

Love anything

Offline LPChip

• View Profile
    • LPChip Interactive
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2015, 17:55:16 »
It was nearly that orange, yes. I chosen to use daylight setting to get a more warmth appearance, and its perhaps slightly darker than I could see, but only just. So the color is nearly that color.

MODPlug Central Forum
"If I tried to kill you, I'd end up with a big fat hole through my laptop." - Chironex

Offline Vegetal Gibber

• Sorry excuse for a game designer
    • View Profile
    • VG's Games Portfolio
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2015, 00:18:07 »
That's a neat looking photo. I haven't seen the moon colored like that these days either. It looked almost pure white from here, maybe a small yellow tint.
Some KS levels by me:

Offline LPChip

• View Profile
    • LPChip Interactive
« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2015, 09:24:52 »
It usually is here as well. But if the moon is hanging low, it tends to become more orange, as it was last night. It was also bigger than usual due to the same principle.

They say it has something to do with the light being bent by the curvature of earth.

MODPlug Central Forum

Offline Fubaka

• View Profile
    • My Music Page
« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2015, 17:12:01 »
They say it has something to do with the light being bent by the curvature of earth.

That can have an effect, but more often when the color is shifted by that much, it has more to do with atmospheric interference. A moon that orange usually happens when there are a good number of dust particles and/or other pollutants in the air.

Here's a more thorough explanation of the phenomenon: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rayleigh_scattering

Use a metaphor and tell us that your lover is the sky. Tell us that your lover is the sky. When you do that, we won't believe you. We won't believe you because saying so makes no sense, but we'll see a meaning. We'll see a meaning.

Love anything

Offline LPChip

• View Profile
    • LPChip Interactive
« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2015, 19:54:22 »
I'm not a scientist. I just know what makes a good looking photo. XD

MODPlug Central Forum

Offline Fubaka

• View Profile
    • My Music Page
« Reply #7 on: August 31, 2015, 19:57:50 »
I'm not a scientist. I just know what makes a good looking photo. XD

In layman's terms, as light reaches Earth, it gets scattered somewhat by the air. Light that is blue or violet gets scattered more than light that is red or orange. Near the horizon, light actually has to pass through more air to reach you, so it gets scattered more. Thus, it appears redder. If there's dust or pollutants in the air, the scattering is even more pronounced.

Love anything

Offline LPChip

• View Profile
    • LPChip Interactive
« Reply #8 on: September 01, 2015, 01:17:50 »
Lol, I did understand you, I just mentioned that because I had no other way to respond. XD

MODPlug Central Forum

Offline Fubaka

• View Profile
    • My Music Page
« Reply #9 on: September 01, 2015, 04:59:27 »
Lol, I did understand you, I just mentioned that because I had no other way to respond. XD

Very well. I just thought maybe you didn't catch the meaning from the Wikipedia page I linked to.

Love anything

Offline CWolvie

• Expect the unexpected.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 01, 2015, 18:21:53 »
What a beautiful picture! Good work with your camera, LPChip. My phone's low-quality camera (probably?) is very bad so all pictures look, you know, less professional X).
I'm thinking about a buying new phone.
Finished levels:
(my first try)

“Oh heart, if one should say to you that the soul perishes like the body, answer that the flower withers, but the seed remains.” ~ Khalil Gibran

Offline LPChip

• View Profile
    • LPChip Interactive
« Reply #11 on: September 01, 2015, 21:37:24 »
Thanks CWolvie. Do note, this was not made with my phone's camera. It couldn't do pictures this good. It gets close, but not this good. This was made with a Canon I5 IS camera on 8 MP.

MODPlug Central Forum