Knytt Stories is being speedran at ESA

• 8 Replies
Knytt Stories is being speedran at ESA
« on: February 20, 2018, 23:14:36 »
European Speedrunners Assembly (Winter 2018) is live this week, and they're going to be speedrunning the main six Nifflas levels (Machine, Underwater Adventure, Gustav's Daughter, Sky Flower, A Strange Dream, and This Level is Unfinished) and possibly Don't Eat the Mushroom.

The Knytt Stories segment starts Thursday at 8:29 AM GMT.

Tune in on twitch: https://www.twitch.tv/esamarathon
Or check the schedule (which converts everything to local time): https://horaro.org/esa/2018-winter or https://esamarathon.com/schedule
« Last Edit: February 20, 2018, 23:28:10 by Purple Pineapple »
Lurk more.

Offline kilicool64

• View Profile
Re: Knytt Stories is being speedran at ESA
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2018, 23:26:24 »
Technically, that's not all of his levels. There's also the tutorial and the Advanced Features Demonstration. Though those probably wouldn't be very interesting to speedrun.

« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2018, 23:29:35 »
Technically, that's not all of his levels. There's also the tutorial and the Advanced Features Demonstration. Though those probably wouldn't be very interesting to speedrun.
Nice catch. I changed the first post.

People do speedrun the tutorial, but I have yet to see a speedrun of Advanced Features Demonstration :P
Lurk more.

Offline AA

• Was ITA84
    • View Profile
    • Insight on Videogames
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2018, 07:58:08 »
It's too bad I won't be able to watch them live, but it's nice to see KS still being run
Videogames are for everyone, by everyone

Offline kilicool64

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2018, 20:36:58 »
Looks like including Don't Eat the Mushroom wasn't such a good idea after all. It resulted in part of the speedrun getting muted. :oops:

Offline Wibi

• apologies for the interference
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2018, 21:48:53 »
Looks like including Don't Eat the Mushroom wasn't such a good idea after all. It resulted in part of the speedrun getting muted. :oops:
Baby don't mute me, don't mute me, no more...

Offline LPChip

• You can only truly help other people by allowing them to fail.
  • Excel at the thing you're the best at!
    • View Profile
    • LPChip Interactive
« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2018, 15:51:07 »
I think it was fun to watch. Too bad he had lots of trouble with the corner jump and eventually just cheated to get past, even though the route around would not have been too much longer.

Shows the runner doesn't know the map too well and only knows the route they need to take.
on the left, above my avatar.

MODPlug Central Forum
"If I tried to kill you, I'd end up with a big fat hole through my laptop." - Chironex

« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2018, 06:52:42 »
The highlight is still muted, but the VOD was fixed. Check https://www.twitch.tv/videos/231498898 at around 8 hours in.

I think it was fun to watch. Too bad he had lots of trouble with the corner jump and eventually just cheated to get past, even though the route around would not have been too much longer.

Shows the runner doesn't know the map too well and only knows the route they need to take.
Corner jumps save roughly a minute and a half over the intended route. It may not be much time to waste, but it would most likely have put him over estimate. Given that this was a marathon setting and they had a schedule to keep, I think he made the right decision.

Also he was one of the early proponents of the Machine "glitchless" category, so he is aware of the alternate route.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2018, 07:19:32 by Purple Pineapple »
Lurk more.

Offline LPChip

• You can only truly help other people by allowing them to fail.
  • Excel at the thing you're the best at!
    • View Profile
    • LPChip Interactive
« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2018, 09:30:18 »
Ah, okay. I thought the alternative route wouldn't have been that much longer. I estimated it about 20 seconds longer, not 1,5 minute longer. Then it makes sense.
on the left, above my avatar.

MODPlug Central Forum
"If I tried to kill you, I'd end up with a big fat hole through my laptop." - Chironex