[Environmental] Untitled Project

• 32 Replies

Offline Purple Ink

• View Profile
    • My lore forum
Re: [Environmental] Untitled Project
« Reply #15 on: April 12, 2016, 03:56:35 »
Dark themes and such can work well in Knytt Stories. Just look at Curse of the Catacombs. If the corpses aren't out of place for the area than they shouldn't be out of place for the level. Unless you're going for a shock effect. Then they should be out of place.

Offline yohji

• View Profile
    • Jashiin's Portfolio
« Reply #16 on: April 14, 2016, 16:49:25 »
Dark themes and such can work well in Knytt Stories. Just look at Curse of the Catacombs. If the corpses aren't out of place for the area than they shouldn't be out of place for the level. Unless you're going for a shock effect. Then they should be out of place.

Hm, it's kind of a combination of both, since there are earlier screens with this kind of thing. But I get your meaning. Thanks!

Offline yohji

• View Profile
    • Jashiin's Portfolio
« Reply #17 on: April 14, 2016, 16:57:13 »
Also, this is at 261 screens currently.

I managed to write some little mythological stories that explain, in an indirect/magical/storytale way, some of the geographical features you see during your journey, such as lakes, mountains, waterfalls, etc., as well as some of the creatures, and the history of the world in general. What I want to do is to scatter these, line by line, in little manuscript bits here and there in the world - some will be easy to find, some a little harder. So that the player had an extra incentive to continue exploring. So, no coins, but mythical knowledge to gain.

Offline Talps

• ...especially in a life-or-death situation!
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 14, 2016, 18:37:21 »
I thought I'd commented on this... Your screens look great; I love how you're using so many wonderful, largely forgotten tilesets. And a less chaotic 'Gaia' would be a great thing to play. I look forward to playing this.

I don't think the dark themes are a bad thing. the tiny art means the images can't be disturbingly graphic. I love how big, diverse and sad this world looks from the few glimpses you've afforded us. Your 'Screen Y' on the last page reminds me a little of the exterior of the bath house from 'Spirited Away', which is an area I've long thought would be gorgeous to explore in KS.

Offline yohji

• View Profile
    • Jashiin's Portfolio
« Reply #19 on: April 14, 2016, 19:30:38 »
Wow Talps, thank you so much for the feedback! It means a lot to me, coming from someone who designed such fantastic levels.

I'm happy and relieved that the sad part is coming across in the screenshots - I'm not making a gloom-fest, and the level will have enough whimsical humor, hopefully - but I am trying to give it a melancholic, fading beauty kind of sadness, seeping through from various circumstances that shaped that world.

Offline yohji

• View Profile
    • Jashiin's Portfolio
« Reply #20 on: June 18, 2016, 21:19:27 »
I've added a few dozen screens since last time. It's frustrating to look for tilesets that fit my purposes, and equally frustrating to draw my own adjustments to people's tilesets... Pixel art is hard! But things are slowly progressing.

One thing I really wanted to do, but definitely won't be able to, is a shipyard full of giant ships. My idea was to use something like the attached picture to make a tileset which would allow for giant decks, huge sails, etc., and these would just be docked somewhere... or perhaps even sailing on some sea... Naive as I was, I thought I'd just enlarge, fill in the details, and hurray, it's done. It took me just 30 minutes or so to realize this is far, far beyond my capabilities. and I don't want to make the area with those overused pirate-themed tilesets (by I forget who). It's a real pity. But it hopefully makes for a nice cautionary tale?

Offline Purple Ink

• View Profile
    • My lore forum
« Reply #21 on: June 22, 2016, 02:18:36 »
I understand that frustration very well. Good luck with your efforts to find/make things.

Offline yohji

• View Profile
    • Jashiin's Portfolio
« Reply #22 on: February 14, 2017, 21:17:47 »
I'm still working on this, whenever time permits. It's a little frustrating because the level is expanding all the time. Most of the times I see the end of some area I think "well, there could be a passage here and another area right there...". And since I want most of my areas to be decently developed - unlike Gaia where a single screen would sometimes suffice - this means a lot more work.

At least this isn't a challenge level, so I don't have to plan that much.

Offline Headgrinder

• Smart Steel Polisher
    • View Profile
    • www.matthewepperson.wordpress.com
« Reply #23 on: February 15, 2017, 14:19:30 »
This is very cool man!  While I did love your "modern" style, this is very exciting!

« Reply #24 on: February 16, 2017, 18:32:52 »
Looks nice from the screens! Im Hoping I can try it soon, especially since i made the "hanseatic town" and "porcelain city" tilesets

Its a bit heartwarming actually to come back here and see that the tilesets i made years ago are still put to good use  :)
This forum always felt like a friendly place, glad to see that it is still a bit active.

Cheers!
« Last Edit: February 16, 2017, 18:37:12 by BanderAnder »

Offline Headgrinder

• Smart Steel Polisher
    • View Profile
    • www.matthewepperson.wordpress.com
« Reply #25 on: February 17, 2017, 12:14:33 »
I've added a few dozen screens since last time. It's frustrating to look for tilesets that fit my purposes, and equally frustrating to draw my own adjustments to people's tilesets... Pixel art is hard! But things are slowly progressing.

One thing I really wanted to do, but definitely won't be able to, is a shipyard full of giant ships. My idea was to use something like the attached picture to make a tileset which would allow for giant decks, huge sails, etc., and these would just be docked somewhere... or perhaps even sailing on some sea... Naive as I was, I thought I'd just enlarge, fill in the details, and hurray, it's done. It took me just 30 minutes or so to realize this is far, far beyond my capabilities. and I don't want to make the area with those overused pirate-themed tilesets (by I forget who). It's a real pity. But it hopefully makes for a nice cautionary tale?
I do think it is doable.  You'd have to flatten out the deck though and get rid of the guide wires, which might ruin the whole look for you of course.  The guide wires could be a second layer I suppose that could be stuck in for detail.

Offline yohji

• View Profile
    • Jashiin's Portfolio
« Reply #26 on: February 18, 2017, 00:01:12 »
Looks nice from the screens! Im Hoping I can try it soon, especially since i made the "hanseatic town" and "porcelain city" tilesets

Its a bit heartwarming actually to come back here and see that the tilesets i made years ago are still put to good use  :)
This forum always felt like a friendly place, glad to see that it is still a bit active.

Cheers!

Your tilesets are amazing. I just hope I managed to put at least a somewhat new spin on them, since so many people were using them over the years  :D

Offline yohji

• View Profile
    • Jashiin's Portfolio
« Reply #27 on: February 18, 2017, 00:03:09 »

I do think it is doable.  You'd have to flatten out the deck though and get rid of the guide wires, which might ruin the whole look for you of course.  The guide wires could be a second layer I suppose that could be stuck in for detail.

Eh, I'm just very bad at pixel art. Some small corrections and tileset merging I can do, but something this complex would require so much work, I'm fairly sure I don't have time for that sort of thing. And actually, right now I've edited that part of the world and I'm not sure if that giant ship area would even fit now.

Offline yohji

• View Profile
    • Jashiin's Portfolio
« Reply #28 on: June 14, 2017, 11:03:36 »
This is still going strong. The concept has grown so large now, though. Now I understand why Gaia required 4+ people to make and not just Drakkan!

Offline ixMarcel

• I'll get you during my next save game!
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 14, 2017, 13:24:17 »
Great news, I'm looking forward to playing this!