[Environmental/Playground] [KS+] Exploring the Golden Land

• 21 Replies

Offline Vegetal Gibber

• Sorry excuse for a game designer
    • View Profile
    • VG's Games Portfolio
Re: [Environmental/Playground] [KS+] Exploring the Golden Land
« Reply #15 on: February 02, 2016, 21:09:52 »
I feel I'm starting to sound like a broken record, but I really appreciate the feedback and discussion. Thanks! As pfrangip said before, I love how supportive this community is :)

@pfrangip: I got a lot of different opinions with this level. The foreground plants are an interesting case, because a friend mentioned them as a bad point (he thought they were too distracting and looked weird). Also, each player seems to have a different favorite area, with no definite consensus. Guess it's a good thing I included a little bit of everything :P2

@egomassive: I'm actually the same. I enjoy the free-roaming aspect of playground levels, but I quickly lose interest as soon as I stop finding new things to see and do (especially when the level has 100+ screens and the areas are not distinct enough from each other). Keeping the player interested is, perhaps, the most difficult part of designing a level of this kind, so I'm glad to hear I succeeded :)

@millsmess:

@Purple Ink: Thank you! It's not as extensive an use of KS+ features as plural's A Climbing Alike made, but I'm glad I was able to do ego's work justice.

@sergiocornaga: Thanks for reporting these! I'll fix them before I submit the level to Knyttlevels.com :)  Yeah, the second solid shadow was intentional, but now that my evil plan has been expertly foiled (curses!), I think it doesn't make much sense to do this just to include a barely noticeable extra tile. I'll just edit the background a little bit to make room for the shadow.
Some KS levels by me:

« Reply #16 on: February 02, 2016, 22:39:15 »
Spoiler: (click to show/hide)

Offline Vegetal Gibber

• View Profile
    • VG's Games Portfolio
« Reply #17 on: February 02, 2016, 23:06:36 »
Ouch! It is indeed a thing. I used non-solid layers for some blocks so I could put the shading tiles over them... which was pointless, since I'm using the overlay feature on that area and I could just have used layer 2 for shading :P  Force of habit, I guess.

Thanks for reporting this! I've already uploaded a fixed version (which also removes the solid shadows Sergio mentioned).
Some KS levels by me:

« Reply #18 on: February 03, 2016, 02:24:37 »

Offline Vegetal Gibber

• View Profile
    • VG's Games Portfolio
« Reply #19 on: February 03, 2016, 03:24:11 »
Some KS levels by me:

Offline cman

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 23, 2017, 21:23:08 »
Just finished this, I have enjoyed it a lot. The difficulty was perfectly adjusted (for me at least) I got stuck at times but then quickly found the way to go on. I hope to find some more great levels like this one.

Offline Vegetal Gibber

• View Profile
    • VG's Games Portfolio
« Reply #21 on: July 28, 2017, 20:22:55 »
Glad you enjoyed it! :D Since the only real challenge in this level comes from finding all collectibles and unlocking all the areas, it's good to hear that you were able to progress smoothly.
Some KS levels by me: