Knytt Swapsies! A collaborative level-making jam

• 22 Replies

Offline sergiocornaga

• View Profile
    • Sergio's Games
Knytt Swapsies! A collaborative level-making jam
« on: March 22, 2016, 15:24:20 »
Knytt Swapsies is a two-week event I'm running over at Glorious Trainwrecks. The basic idea is that participants make half a level during the first week, then the levels get shuffled around and everyone finishes everyone else's levels during the second week.

The first week occurred Saturday 26th March until Saturday 2nd April. Week 2 has now begun!
« Last Edit: May 26, 2016, 13:08:37 by sergiocornaga »

Offline Vegetal Gibber

• Sorry excuse for a game designer
    • View Profile
    • VG's Games Portfolio
Sounds like a fun idea! The fact that this isn't a one/two day event makes it a lot easier for me to participate :D
Some KS levels by me:

Offline ixMarcel

• I'll get you during my next save game!
    • View Profile
Sounds great! Where do I sign up? (Seriously, do I have to register on that site or something?)

How big should a half-finished level be? Are there any rules?

Offline Fubaka

• We are the music makers.
    • View Profile
    • My Music Page
I'll play along.  :)

However, is it against the rules to tweak the first half that I'd be receiving, or offer tips to the person who'll be editing my first half?
Things to remember when writing figures of speech and sound:
The power of poetry comes from the ability to defy logic. Defy logic often.

Use a metaphor and tell us that your lover is the sky. Tell us that your lover is the sky. When you do that, we won't believe you. We won't believe you because saying so makes no sense, but we'll see a meaning. We'll see a meaning.

The other thing is the ability to be remembered. Love anything.

Love anything

Offline sergiocornaga

• View Profile
    • Sergio's Games
Sounds like a fun idea! The fact that this isn't a one/two day event makes it a lot easier for me to participate :D

That's good to hear.

Sounds great! Where do I sign up? (Seriously, do I have to register on that site or something?)

It might be a good idea to! Once you're signed in, there's a spot to sign up officially on the event page, but it's not compulsory. There might be ways around registering if you were really opposed to making an account, but given that Glorious Trainwrecks has been hosting Knytt Stories related events for 6 years now it will probably pay off.

How big should a half-finished level be? Are there any rules?

Any size you want, but smaller is probably better. A week is just a convenient time period, don't feel like you even have to use it all. The only real rule is that if you submit the first half of a level, you've committed to finishing the second half of someone else's... other than that, I thought I'd leave things relaxed and see what happens, since this whole idea is something of an experiment.

However, is it against the rules to tweak the first half that I'd be receiving, or offer tips to the person who'll be editing my first half?

Both of those sound OK to me. As the second participant is basically in charge of completing the level, they may want it to be in a cohesive, polished state that would benefit from tweaking existing content. Additionally, the ways in which a level can be half-finished might vary since they are open to some interpretation: a level could be playable from start to finish but lack any story content or graphical embellishments, in which case editing existing work would be unavoidable. You could reach out to the author of the first half and ask permission if you really wanted to.

Offering tips could be a good idea, especially if your work includes any complex scripting that could daunt the recipient. Direct contribution to your original level during the second week is discouraged, but after that what happens to the level is up to its authors.

Offline Ultigonio

• I'm sleepy!
    • View Profile
Sounds great!  I'll likely make my first half in a vanilla KS compatible form, but then whatever my second half is, I'll change into KS+.  :P2
Indefinitely Held Off:
Pouring
Complete:
This Level Plays Itself!

My SoundCloud

Offline pfrangip

• View Profile
I am definitely interested in this! Sounds like a lot of fun... please count me in! (I have a GT account and will sign up for this event.)
« Last Edit: March 25, 2016, 11:45:59 by pfrangip »

Offline sergiocornaga

• View Profile
    • Sergio's Games
Sounds great!  I'll likely make my first half in a vanilla KS compatible form, but then whatever my second half is, I'll change into KS+.  :P2

Nice approach!

I am definitely interested in this! Sounds like a lot of fun... please count me in! (I have a GT account and will sign up for this event.)

Glad to hear it!

It's Saturday in New Zealand now. Everyone participating, feel free to start working on stuff!

Since i'm almost done with that thing i'm supposed to be doing, i'll go work on that a bit more today and wait for the "Upcoming Events" thingy to count down.

Offline sergiocornaga

• View Profile
    • Sergio's Games
Since i'm almost done with that thing i'm supposed to be doing, i'll go work on that a bit more today and wait for the "Upcoming Events" thingy to count down.

That's now happened and the event has started slightly more officially! But even if you wanted to start a bit later, that's fine too.

Offline Vegetal Gibber

• Sorry excuse for a game designer
    • View Profile
    • VG's Games Portfolio
Re: Knytt Swapsies! A collaborative level-making jam (on now!)
« Reply #10 on: March 30, 2016, 16:08:02 »
Hate to say this, but I'm afraid I have to bail out (again... :( ). It doesn't seem I'm going to have a chance to get anything KS-related done for a few weeks. Sorry for the inconvenience.
Some KS levels by me:

Offline Fubaka

• View Profile
    • My Music Page
« Reply #11 on: March 31, 2016, 10:05:45 »
This is going to sound utterly bizarre but...

My level has become far too complex and personal for this fun little event. I think I'm gonna have to make a new level if I still want to be part of this jam. I can't possibly expect someone else to be able to match the mood and feel of the level that I've spent the last five days tirelessly working on.

The level I have now will become a new major release for me, oddly enough. I think I will make a preview for it after this jam has concluded.

Use a metaphor and tell us that your lover is the sky. Tell us that your lover is the sky. When you do that, we won't believe you. We won't believe you because saying so makes no sense, but we'll see a meaning. We'll see a meaning.

Love anything

Offline ixMarcel

• I'll get you during my next save game!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 31, 2016, 13:18:45 »
I think I'm gonna have to make a new level if I still want to be part of this jam.

Please do. I still hope this event is going to produce some fun levels, the more of us the merrier!

Offline Fubaka

• View Profile
    • My Music Page
« Reply #13 on: April 01, 2016, 03:14:30 »
Alright. I have something more manageable as a level half pretty much done now. I'll hold on to it until Saturday, in case I need to make any more adjustments.

My level is a half in an almost literal sense of the word.  ;)

Love anything

Offline pfrangip

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 02, 2016, 04:31:14 »
I hope whoever gets to finish POWERHOUSE has as much fun completing it as I had starting it.  :)