[Game] Jumper 4 Real

• 3 Replies

Offline Wibi

• apologies for the interference
    • View Profile
[Game] Jumper 4 Real
« on: August 10, 2022, 04:17:57 »

I am making a game (have been since October 2021) that is currently ridiculously unpresentable because 90% of the work I'm doing on it is engine stuff. I recorded a video about it - actually, I recorded 4 videos about it, but the first 3 I interrupted or got off-track - but I forgot to keep the microphone on my headset in front of me in the latter half of the video, so 50% of it you can barely hear anything I'm saying. A bit pathetic.

It's a LÖVE clone of Maddy Thorson (developer of Celeste)'s very old Game Maker game Jumper 2, and its editor version Jumper 2 Editor. It's called Jumper 4 Real because: 1. Jumper 3 exists and this is kind of like a fanmade entry in the Jumper series, 2. "Jumper for real" sounds totally gnarly, 3. OMG, Jumper 4 REAL?? (NOT CLICKBAIT), and 4. I've had the idea to make a really robust Jumper fangame since I was younger and couldn't really program anything, and now this game is gradually moving from imaginary to real.

Currently very few elements are in, and no actual permanent levels have been made yet. A lot of the work is on backend stuff because I wisely chose to reinvent the wheel (mostly because I prefer to work with my own code and, come on, this is my first game). Pretty much everything is made from scratch in the LÖVE framework - the only things I've borrowed so far are a very simple metatable-based object class system, and a string split function.

It's going to be highly editable, like Knytt Stories. In fact, you can also have an open-world levelset like Knytt Stories, with the introduction of multiple level exits/entrances, and a special "tag" for Ogmo that lets it preserve the momentum and position of the exiting Ogmo from the previous level.

(In the above screenshots, the resolution varies because the editor mode has a larger resolution than the rest of the game. Also, levelsets can define their own window width/height, which is honestly probably not going to stay and is mainly a kludge since I created a showcase levelset for the initial 512x512 resolution and then realized the main Jumper games use a 640x480 resolution. Also, the last screenshot is of HTML Help. :P)

No download yet because there's barely any levels and the editor is far from finished.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2022, 04:22:40 by canteven / ncrecc »

Offline Wibi

• View Profile
Re: [Game] Jumper 4 Real
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2022, 05:42:49 »

Falling blocks existed in the original Jumper games (and explodey blocks exclusively in Jumper 2 Editor), but they couldn't cause other blocks to react (except floor buttons), and rubber is completely new.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2022, 05:48:58 by canteven / ncrecc »

Offline Wibi

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2022, 17:09:27 »

Variant on the explodey blocks which disappear as soon as you stop making contact with them instead of after a fixed period of time. (And a gif of the editor.) Also, I've taken to calling the explodey blocks "boomboxes" so these are called... X-boxes. It's a dumb pun that occurred entirely by coincidence.

Offline Wibi

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2023, 20:21:56 »

editor as it works today(-ish). not shown: scrolling through the map like KS
« Last Edit: May 10, 2023, 21:06:18 by Wibi »