[Misc/Challenge] [Easy] [Small] Next Gen Knytt

• 26 Replies

Offline Vegetal Gibber

• Sorry excuse for a game designer
    • View Profile
    • VG's Games Portfolio
[Misc/Challenge] [Easy] [Small] Next Gen Knytt
« on: January 07, 2017, 22:16:27 »
UPDATE (11/02/2017): Environmental DLC pack released! Click here or check the contents of the "Additional Content" spoiler box for more info.

"A more modern approach to Knytt Stories"

[ Download Next Gen Knytt (~34MB) ]

[ Mirror (KnyttLevels.com) ]

Vanilla KS is supported, although ego's Knytt Stories + is heavily recommended. KS+ greatly reduces flickering issues during certain animated sequences, providing a much better experience. Also, some additional sound effects and bonus features will only be available when playing on KS+.

Greetings, fellow Nifforumites! It's been a while since my last KS release. This here is a very short level that started both as an experiment on textured tilesets and a simple joke, but later grew into something more complex than I first imagined, despite the small size of the map. As a direct result, and just as it happened with Escape from Knyttstein, I got tired of working on it and ended up leaving the incomplete level collecting dust for almost an entire year after my initial enthusiasm died out. Fortunately, I recently resolved to give closure to this project, even if that meant discarding some of my original (maybe too ambitious, especially for a lazy person such as myself) ideas so the finished product can finally see the light of day.

Next Gen Knytt is also my first "Misc" type level (with a small side of Challenge). It's of a rather gimmicky nature, so I prefer to not explain it in detail in order to avoid spoiling the surprise as much as I can. Just grab the level using the download link above and discover all the horrible secrets for yourself 8)

Hope you guys enjoy it! As always, all feedback and bug reports are more than welcome.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2017, 18:48:28 by Vegetal Gibber »
Some KS levels by me:

Offline Ultigonio

• I'm sleepy!
    • View Profile
Re: [Misc/Challenge] [Easy] [Small] Next Gen Knytt
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2017, 23:05:55 »
Hmm, how can this truly be a next-gen experience without forced walking-and-talking to allow important storytelling to take place and cliffs breaking as Juni climbs up them to let the player know that they should feel tense?

Spoiler: (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: January 08, 2017, 02:37:59 by Ultigonio »
Indefinitely Held Off:
Pouring
Complete:
This Level Plays Itself!

My SoundCloud

Offline Purple Ink

• View Profile
    • My lore forum
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2017, 00:13:24 »
11/10 game indeed. I'm constantly surprised at how creative and unique KS levels can be! Good job with this one, VG. :)

Offline ixMarcel

• I'll get you during my next save game!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2017, 11:16:37 »
This seems like a fun level!
Too bad I didn't get to actually play it because as soon as the game loaded my graphics card started heating up (the fans were going crazy :shocked:). I got a bit worried since, as you may know, I store all the Saving Thalanill data files in my GPU's VRAM... Seems like it's too "low-end" for this next-gen experience.

I'll give it a try as soon as nVidia releases new drivers to fix this issue  ;).
« Last Edit: January 08, 2017, 11:19:59 by ixMarcel »

Offline Vegetal Gibber

• View Profile
    • VG's Games Portfolio
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2017, 15:18:37 »
Hmm, how can this truly be a next-gen experience without forced walking-and-talking to allow important storytelling to take place and cliffs breaking as Juni climbs up them to let the player know that they should feel tense?

@Ultigonio: That's only because...

@Purple Ink: Thank you for your words and your totally not hyperbolic review score :D  Glad you enjoyed the level!

@ixMarcel: The upcoming 10GB+ patch will hopefully fix all performance issues on nVidia cards. In the meantime, I suggest enabling triple overflowing and setting the anti-aliasing mode to 17x OMGWTFAA. The only downside is that all sprites will be corrupted and look like deformed squirrels... but you'll still be able to get all the achievements, which is all that matters! :D
Some KS levels by me:

Offline egomassive

• View Profile
    • egomassive games
« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2017, 05:56:36 »
I can't get this level to work with Steam. As a modern gamer I need to rub my virtual achievements in the faces of my virtual friends. They'll be so jealous.

« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2017, 08:49:24 »
I can't get this level to work with Steam.
The PC version is only available on Origin. I mean, come on, everyone knows that.

As a modern gamer, you shouldn't even be playing the PC version anyway. Don't you know that gaming PCs always cost at least $413612 and require you to buy at least $1025 worth of upgrades every 1.5 days if you want to keep up with the latest AAA titles? Also, you're forced to sit right in front of a ridiculously small screen on an insanely uncomfortable folding chair, and play with some kind of hideous elongated typewriter-y controller that has a button for every letter. And on top of all that, local multiplayer is physically impossible, and the online community for every PC game in existence is incredibly toxic, no exceptions.

Offline sergiocornaga

• View Profile
    • Sergio's Games
« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2017, 14:06:52 »
That whole boss + ending sequence was amazing. I enjoyed the KS+ exclusive bonus features, glad you're not like all those other devs who dropped support the second KS++ was announced.

In terms of feedback, the level could use an autosave shortly before the first bit of water you have to jump over (I fell in and had to... ugh... replay some of the tutorial). Also, in the end credits, the images don't fade 100% to black, so they linger barely visible for a little longer than they should.

Offline Vegetal Gibber

• View Profile
    • VG's Games Portfolio
« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2017, 17:07:31 »
@ego, @SF: As a matter of fact, we're planning on adding cross-play and shared achievements/leaderboards between the Steam version (which doesn't exist) and all the available console ports! (i.e. none)

Spoiler: Dropped features (click to show/hide)

@sergio: Thanks! Those sequences were the main reason the level burned me out so quickly (especially the final battle, since it required so many COs to implement), but I'm proud I didn't give up on them :)  I'll address the issues you mentioned and a few other minor problems I spotted in the next (real) update.

« Last Edit: January 09, 2017, 17:15:38 by Vegetal Gibber »
Some KS levels by me:

Offline SC

• Ha-ha-ha! Videogames! *laugh track*
    • View Profile
    • My personal website!
« Reply #9 on: January 11, 2017, 01:02:51 »
HAHAHAHA!! Best level I've played in AGES!! Really nice work, Veggie!

(also i'm back on the forums now hi it's been a while hehe)
« Last Edit: January 15, 2017, 08:05:01 by SC »

Offline Vegetal Gibber

• View Profile
    • VG's Games Portfolio
« Reply #10 on: January 13, 2017, 16:37:13 »
@SC: Thanks! I appreciate the feedback. Good to have you back too :D

I've updated the level with a few minor fixes:

Spoiler: v1.1 Changelog (click to show/hide)

Since it's only a minor update, it's probably not worth re-downloading the entire thing if you already played the original release. If you're interested in the update anyway (as you should, since it's mandatory for the non-existing Online Play function!), just grab the new .knytt.bin file using the link in the first post.
Some KS levels by me:

Offline pfrangip

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 15, 2017, 20:24:38 »
Great concept! I loved the loading screen... I didn't even realize what was happening at first, then I laughed out loud. And the boss "fight" was spectacular.

However, I'm only giving this 2/10 since it didn't include a Linux port or an ASCII mode for those of us still running 386 architecture.

Also, I'm not sure if this is against the forum rules, but if anyone is interested, I can get you a cracked warez of this which includes the Double Jump powerup for 0.008BTC. Just PM me.

Offline Vegetal Gibber

• View Profile
    • VG's Games Portfolio
« Reply #12 on: January 16, 2017, 23:30:35 »
@pfrangip: Thank you for playing! Unfortunately, our current agreement with Microsoft for Windows 10 / DirectX 12 support prevents us from releasing a Linux version at this moment :(  As for 386 support...

Also, please note that distributing unauthorized Double-Jump enabled copies of this level may result in getting all your current achievements revoked in your NGK online profile... and then getting the "Losing all your achievements at once" achievement.
Some KS levels by me:

Offline Vegetal Gibber

• View Profile
    • VG's Games Portfolio
« Reply #13 on: January 29, 2017, 14:43:52 »
I'm pleased to announce that the Environmental DLC pack* for Next Gen Knytt is now in the works!

• Unlocks "Environmental mode"(tm), which revolutionizes the gaming experience by allowing free (mostly) exploration!
  • Adds a completely new area to explore.
  • Includes bonuses for KS+.
  • Recycles a ton of existing assets, as any bonafide DLC should do! (some new stuff will be featured, though)
  • Only for $14.99! However, if you're a cheapskate, you can always download the trial version and keep resetting your system clock every 30 days :P2

The estimated release date is late February, although this is (very) subject to change.

(*) Yes, this is actually a thing, and you will be able to download and install it. The original level will be required, though.
Some KS levels by me:

Offline Ultigonio

• I'm sleepy!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 30, 2017, 06:33:49 »
The estimated release date is late February, although this is (very) subject to change.
Well, it wouldn't be a Next Gen game if it wasn't announced way too far ahead of time and then delayed once or twice, eh? :P
Indefinitely Held Off:
Pouring
Complete:
This Level Plays Itself!

My SoundCloud