Easy teleport + 100% routing

• 8 Replies
Easy teleport + 100% routing
« on: January 21, 2017, 13:05:16 »
I'm looking at making a 100% speedrun route for Knytt Underground. In the effort of planning said route, I needed to know where I am on the map, and the PC version doesn't tell you your coordinates. So I edited the debug functions in "Global Script.py" that run when you enter debug mode (Shift+D+B) and press F9 or F11.

Code: [Select]
def debug_f9():
    with open("P:\\coords", "a") as f:
        f.write(str(room_x()) + "," + str(room_y()) + "," +
                str(player_x_tile()) + "," + str(player_y_tile()) + "\n")

def debug_f11():
    with open("P:\\goto") as f:
        x,y,px,py = f.read().split(",")
        savegame_set_key('General', 'X Room', x)
        savegame_set_key('General', 'Y Room', y)
        savegame_set_key('General', 'X Position', px)
        savegame_set_key('General', 'Y Position', py)
        music_delete_all()
        game_trigger_death('Teleport',1)

Now I can press F9 to write the current coordinates to a file, then F11 to teleport to the coordinates I've specified in a different file. Very cool.

Now, 100% routing. The only item I can think of to definitely include is the Enigma, which means getting the Sun and Moon triangles and the Day and Night spheres, and the Sandwich Recipe, which involves getting the four puzzle pieces. Should secrets like the redundant bird be included? 100% is very much subjective for each game depending on what the runners want to do, so I'd like to get input from anyone that still checks this forum on the goals to attempt. Thanks :)
« Last Edit: January 21, 2017, 13:07:19 by blha303 »

Offline LPChip

• You can only truly help other people by allowing them to fail.
  • Excel at the thing you're the best at!
    • View Profile
    • LPChip Interactive
Re: Easy teleport + 100% routing
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2017, 21:15:52 »
A 100% run should definitely include having the entire map visible and all objects you can find on each screen. I think it should be limited to the 3rd chapter only, given that it contains the areas of chapter 1 and 2. But given that for a new game you need to do them, it would mean, get past them as quickly as possible.

If all screens is not a requirement, atleast all items (indicated with an i on the map).

I would exclude the secret areas though, that means you don't need the recepe either. I think the enigma could be in the run, but its also part of a secret.
on the left, above my avatar.

MODPlug Central Forum
"If I tried to kill you, I'd end up with a big fat hole through my laptop." - Chironex

Offline kilicool64

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2017, 12:18:15 »
Typically, 100% runs involve finishing the game with all unlockables, so that'd mean all items and achievements. Probably all the sidequests, too. I think it'd make for a more interesting run if you didn't have to reach every screen visible on the map though.

« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2017, 07:03:10 »
The item locations are in Global Script.py as well, I just realised that would make mapping them a lot easier. I should add them to my map http://nifflas.lpchip.nl/index.php?topic=6787.0

I don't think visiting every screen on the map is really necessary at all, although a lot of the hardest to reach places have items that would need to be collected. I don't know another game that has a map you fill in but I can't imagine a 100% route of it involves completing it.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2017, 07:13:10 by blha303 »

Offline LPChip

• View Profile
    • LPChip Interactive
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2017, 17:25:20 »
I guess not. Its just that many games don't have a map that has a room in every single square on the map, where this one has. For that single reason, we often encourage players to get the map complete, and it is this idea that made me consider filling all squares for a 100% run.

But technically speaking, all items, unlockables and achievements would be required, but that would include the secrets too which will make this a nearly impossible run.

MODPlug Central Forum
"If I tried to kill you, I'd end up with a big fat hole through my laptop." - Chironex

« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2017, 18:41:17 »
Now the real question, do joke quests like Tova's invisible friend count toward 100%? Hmm

Offline LPChip

• View Profile
    • LPChip Interactive
« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2017, 19:54:25 »
I don't think it does give an item, so I'd say no.

MODPlug Central Forum

« Reply #7 on: July 01, 2017, 09:17:51 »
One way to make 100% more manageable would be to say you need to get 100% of all possibly obtainable items AND achieve the secret ending. The inventory is easily measurable, clearly defined, and combined with the secret ending condition, it would require you to explore every part of the game thoroughly without demanding you literally do a true 100% of everything playable in the game.

Offline Talps

• ...especially in a life-or-death situation!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 01, 2017, 10:37:32 »
Now the real question, do joke quests like Tova's invisible friend count toward 100%? Hmm

JOKE QUEST?! Do you have any idea how long I was searching for that friend or how long I was worrying that she might have an actual friend who was invisible that I just left to die down there?! ARRRGH!