• 45 Replies

Offline Vegetal Gibber

• Sorry excuse for a game designer
    • View Profile
    • VG's Games Portfolio
Re: VG's misc custom content for KS/KS+
« Reply #15 on: August 05, 2017, 19:21:36 »
Thanks for the comments!

@Sergio: Glad you liked it! It was supposed to be a sunset landscape, hence the sun being placed on the left side (although this is very shaky reasoning, since the perspective here is inherently wrong), but simply flipping the picture horizontally should do the trick. Also, if we take into account that I spend ~99% of my time indoors, it wouldn't surprise me if the sun had somehow turned green years ago and I just hadn't still noticed, so my depiction may not be the most accurate anyways :P

@canteven: I started adding shading tiles to pretty much all of my tilesets, because they can add a lot of detail to a screen without requiring multiple variations of the same tiles. I didn't want to use transparent tiles for this set, since I felt that would defeat the purpose of trying to emulate the "pure" 16-color style, so I went for a dithering-based approach this time. I'm not 100% sure the white tiles were worth including, though. Maybe I could have used that space for more ornaments or maybe some grass-covered mountains.

In other news, I added some more detail to the clouds in the "day" background.
« Last Edit: August 05, 2017, 21:08:32 by Vegetal Gibber »
Some KS levels by me:

Offline Vegetal Gibber

• View Profile
    • VG's Games Portfolio
« Reply #16 on: August 14, 2017, 17:01:50 »
I saw a purple night landscape in a video and thought it looked pretty good, so I decided to draw a random background using that as inspiration. I don't really have any use for it as of now, so... here it is, in case anyone wants to use it as a gradient/background (or even for a title screen or cutscene). I made a "clean sky" version and a "dusty" version with a curtain of floating sand.

(just a hastily-made test screen)

I didn't attach the pictures directly to the post since the image files are fairly big for what they are (>130KB). Instead, here's a link to a shared Dropbox folder where I also plan to upload any similar backgrounds I may draw:

[ Gradients/Backgrounds for KS by VG ]
Some KS levels by me:

Offline Vegetal Gibber

• View Profile
    • VG's Games Portfolio
« Reply #17 on: August 20, 2017, 20:04:18 »
Another random background made out of boredom. This time, it's something that resembles an asteroid field. Might be useful for space-themed levels.

Some KS levels by me:

Offline Vegetal Gibber

• View Profile
    • VG's Games Portfolio
« Reply #18 on: September 01, 2017, 16:33:28 »
Yet another gradient. This one started as a bunch of random red scribbles and ended up as a tileable underwater background.

(this is just a demo pic -- the actual gradient is 200x240 and repeats 3 times)

Some KS levels by me:

Offline Vegetal Gibber

• View Profile
    • VG's Games Portfolio
« Reply #19 on: September 03, 2017, 17:18:02 »
A collection of very simple flags that can be used to decorate castles, fortresses and the like. Alternatively, you can put one right next to a Knytt and make them pretend they just funded their own country or something.

The attached pack includes 11 different colored flags.
Some KS levels by me:

Offline Vegetal Gibber

• View Profile
    • VG's Games Portfolio
« Reply #20 on: September 04, 2017, 13:49:12 »
No new content this time, but since I only used this particular tileset for a couple screens in a tutorial level, I thought I should post it here as well. It's a simple mod of "Not Quite Dr. Cliche's Underwater Lab" (tileset #6) with different patterns and colors. Nothing too fancy, but it might have its uses.

Also, I've edited the first post to include a list of links to all the stuff I released in this thread, which may be helpful to users who are looking for specific stuff (animations, tilesets...).
Some KS levels by me:

Offline Vegetal Gibber

• View Profile
    • VG's Games Portfolio
« Reply #21 on: September 15, 2017, 23:35:55 »
A quick tileset I put together in a flash of inspiration after a pattern of 3-colored glowy plants in a cushion caught my eye :P

As a bonus, I've also attached a pack of very simple glow animations that can be used with the glowy plants in this set.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2017, 21:35:23 by Vegetal Gibber »
Some KS levels by me:

Offline Vegetal Gibber

• View Profile
    • VG's Games Portfolio
« Reply #22 on: September 17, 2017, 21:41:06 »
A rather hastily made "normal" version of the previous tileset:

I also updated the "Almost Cursed Fields" tileset to fix a couple mistakes and make the grass usable on corner tiles.

Edit: Didn't want to make a new post just for this, but I made a bonus tileset with a bunch of extra solid tiles for both of these sets.
« Last Edit: September 18, 2017, 16:46:26 by Vegetal Gibber »
Some KS levels by me:

« Reply #23 on: September 18, 2017, 21:12:39 »
A quick tileset I put together in a flash of inspiration after a pattern of 3-colored glowy plants in a cushion caught my eye :P

As a bonus, I've also attached a pack of very simple glow animations that can be used with the glowy plants in this set.

Very beautiful tileset ) 8D

Offline Vegetal Gibber

• View Profile
    • VG's Games Portfolio
« Reply #24 on: September 23, 2017, 18:05:12 »
Thanks!

Time for an interior tileset now. I just finished this one, heavily inspired in the original Quake:

Edit: Added a tileable sky texture that can be used as a background. You can't possibly recreate a scene from Quake without the purple psychedelic skybox :P2
« Last Edit: September 23, 2017, 21:08:06 by Vegetal Gibber »
Some KS levels by me:

« Reply #25 on: September 23, 2017, 19:48:13 »
Thanks!

Time for an interior tileset now. I just finished this one, heavily inspired in the original Quake:

Awesome work )))

Offline Vegetal Gibber

• View Profile
    • VG's Games Portfolio
« Reply #26 on: January 03, 2018, 23:53:23 »
This is a background I drew a long time ago for a homebrew game I made. It's pretty old and not exactly my best work, but I decided to clean it up a bit and turn it into a KS gradient just for kicks:

[ Link to PNG version ]
Some KS levels by me:

Offline Vegetal Gibber

• View Profile
    • VG's Games Portfolio
« Reply #27 on: January 04, 2018, 21:00:53 »
I made a few "screen raindrops" COs in different sizes for an environmental level, but decided not to use them at the last minute. Feel free to use them in your rainy levels if you like this effect:

For best results, place these animations at layers 6-7, alternating between the two COs for each size.
Some KS levels by me:

Offline Vegetal Gibber

• View Profile
    • VG's Games Portfolio
« Reply #28 on: March 05, 2018, 14:01:26 »
A few tilesets I made for the Cursed Gallery collab project, including the original (non-sunset) edition of the "Sandy Beach" set that wasn't used in the level. Feel free to use and/or remix them!

Also, I've replaced the Orange Grass ReImagined tileset with a fixed version. Turns out one of the trees was missing a bunch of leaves due to me being dumb and forgetting to turn one of the layers back on in the editor :oops:
« Last Edit: March 05, 2018, 14:08:41 by Vegetal Gibber »
Some KS levels by me:

Offline Vegetal Gibber

• View Profile
    • VG's Games Portfolio
« Reply #29 on: April 21, 2018, 15:32:52 »
I converted the "happy ball" creature (Bank#14 Obj#12) into a KS+ custom character because reasons. I also made a blue version of it because other reasons. As always, feel free to use them in your levels and/or customize them in any way.

NOTE: Using this with the umbrella power-up is not recommended, since the default umbrella sprite will look like it's hovering over the character. I might post a suitable custom umbrella spritesheet later.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2018, 16:36:33 by Vegetal Gibber »
Some KS levels by me: