Woji Valley [Challenge/Envir][Easy][Medium]

• 6 Replies

Offline SilasMann

• A Real Horse
    • View Profile
Woji Valley [Challenge/Envir][Easy][Medium]
« on: April 17, 2017, 07:41:58 »
Hello!

I just finished my first ever Knytt Stories level, Woji Valley, and would appreciate feedback. Now with an ending (two, actually! THREE endings!) and completely original high-quality graphics :P2.  There is an inherent lack of valley in this level, as the name came first, and level design second.

There are three different endings. Will you follow a simple narrative or discover something hidden?

DOWNLOAD my skrub level, version 2

I hope you'll give my level a chance and give feedback. <3

my next level...
« Last Edit: May 18, 2017, 04:31:13 by SilasMann »

Offline ixMarcel

• I'll get you during my next save game!
    • View Profile
Re: Woji Valley [Challenge/Envir][Easy][Medium]
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2017, 12:25:07 »
Fun level packed with some interesting ideas! I found the "true ending"... It's pretty dark. Oh well...

Offline Wibi

• apologies for the interference
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2017, 17:34:51 »
The true ending reminded me of how Juni can never accomplish the most basic of tasks without going on some kind of sidequest.

Need to flick a switch to turn off a machine? There's a tiny porcupine blocking the entrance, now she needs to go in the exact opposite direction for 56 screens and steal a hologram generator.
Unlock a friend's closet? No worries, she just has to take an identical key from the top of a castle, which requires getting two other keys as well.
She can't even get food from her own fridge, in her own house without taking a brief trip through a sewer system and some grassy ruins.

But this level is an interesting take on that- it's not that she's forced to take a massive detour, she wants to. In this level, someone asks her to get an acorn... so she goes to the biggest tree she can find, climbs all the way up it while dodging lethal projectiles, and only then does she find a small pile of acorns. Then she finds a tiny piece of paper that tells her to
Spoiler: (click to show/hide)
She does so, and finds a secret area with several powerups that do nothing but help her get out of said area. Again, she didn't even need to go there, she just felt like it. She could have just taken the acorn back to the farmer and then read the note, but she's too impulsive. Or she could've just found some tree that wasn't 30 feet tall, but where's the fun in that? She's a thrill seeker that people need to stop trusting with their errands.

I liked this level, but I think it would have worked better if the farmer didn't hint towards the true ending- the note itself is a good enough pointer.
« Last Edit: April 18, 2017, 03:46:38 by canteven »

Offline SilasMann

• A Real Horse
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2017, 04:09:28 »
ixMarcel, canteven, thank you for playing!

I went ahead and added another ending, as well as tweaking the two existing ones. The game play itself hasn't changed very much, besides a new area to complement the endings.

Current endings:
Spoiler: (click to show/hide)

(v2 download)

There are now way more warps and flags, so there may be bugs.  >(
« Last Edit: April 18, 2017, 05:54:33 by SilasMann »

Offline egomassive

• View Profile
    • egomassive games
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2017, 23:21:45 »
Not bad. I always like giant trees. The graphics have a nice blunt style to them.

Offline SC

• Ha-ha-ha! Videogames! *laugh track*
    • View Profile
    • My personal website!
« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2017, 06:01:44 »
It's okay. Could have used a couple more saves in the tree, and some ambience in the secret area would have been nice. Not bad for a first level.

Offline pfrangip

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2017, 19:23:25 »
Got all the endings. Not a bad level for your first, I enjoyed some of the underground scenes.  :)

My biggest frustration was probably the lack of the run powerup. You might try Knytt Syndromes, by dessgeega, for a good tutorial on easy problems to avoid.  ;)