Chapter 3 No Disorder Speedrun

• 5 Replies
Chapter 3 No Disorder Speedrun
« on: July 01, 2017, 09:14:22 »
Hey guys! I've been a lurker around here for a while, but recently I did a Knytt Underground and then also an Uurnog speedrun, so I wanted to share the Knytt Underground one here for anyone interested.

Some of you may be familiar with the any% runs on speedrun.com that use the disorder (https://www.speedrun.com/Knytt_Underground).

Well, I decided to do one of Chapter 3 WITHOUT the disorder, to see how the routing turned out. Well let me just say now: the routing turned out to be very exciting indeed, making liberal use of Utopioca as well as two secret shortcuts (proper secrets). Although I've owned the game for around 5 years and fully finished it twice, I still was nowhere close to memorising where all the items are. So I relied heavily on this incredible map: https://jayisgames.com/review/knytt-underground.php#prettyPhoto[walkthrough]/2/

Here's a very poorly drawn illustration (drawn on top of the in-game map) of the exact route i took: http://imgur.com/a/VkkRP

And for anyone interested in the run: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0IK6W4pMeyU

I make a LOT of small mistakes, including one bigger one in the middle of the run, but it still turned out to be my best time (and it took a good 20 resets so I was absolutely determined not to reset again  :P2)

I get 4 Flowers, 4 Stones, 4 Artifacts and 2 Glyphs throughout the run, as well as 10 coins. There are a few 'tricks' where I do things in a weird order, but in my opinion the best way to save time is just to be efficient with your movement in general. Smooth movement saves far more than even the best trick, it seems.

I think there's a lot of potential in this category, so I hope someday someone decides to come along and beat my (not even very good) time!

Offline Zathnic

• View Profile
Re: Chapter 3 No Disorder Speedrun
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2017, 18:13:39 »
Awesome! I actually played around with the idea of doing a chapter 3 no disorder run before, but figuring out the route seemed a bit daunting, and I'd never done a nonlinear speedrun before, especially not of this scope. Your run was a really nice starting point, when I saw it I kinda went right on to the task since I was already quite good with the game's mechanics and could see the potential for a lot of cool maneuvrers in this run.

The map you posted alone would have made me consider to also try planning my own route, but because of another thing I pretty much had to do it. I knew a trick with which you could skip having to collect the items required for a bell altogether (before watching the run, can you guess which bell it is?), so the route could definitely be improved by a lot. So I took the item map and layered it above a rendered ingame map that I found by searching in the forum.

Here's what my routing process looked like:

Red crosses are rooms you'd likely never visit in an efficient run, white circles are rooms you'd probably have to visit and green circles are items you'd probably have to collect. After some time the route that looked the most optimal became more and more apparent, so I stopped drawing the white circles and just connected the different parts.

With this new route and due to me already being familiar with a lot of movement tricks in the game, I managed to get a very good time after only about 30 attempts. There are still plenty of small mistakes due to not being all that familiar with the run yet, but this run didn't really have any big mistakes and most of the small ones were easily averted, so I still consider this a pretty damn good run.

Here's the recording of the run:

Knytt Underground - Chapter 3 No Disorder Speedrun in 22:18

That's where I'll keep the time at for now but I may continue to improve the run in the future. With a lot of practice, I'd probably be able to cut off another 30-60 seconds of the time. For now, please enjoy :)
« Last Edit: July 09, 2017, 18:16:13 by Zathnic »

« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2017, 10:57:40 »
I'm watching your run now and it's absolutely astonishing how good this is. Have you submitted it to speedrun.com? I've put a link to this thread in my knytt videos cos damn, friend, you are a total badass! I'm really glad my run made you consider doing one of your own! That's exactly what I was hoping for and it makes me so happy to see not only another run but also one so different from mine. I can't wait to get right back to practicing Underground and seeing if there's any way to get the completion time down even further!

Offline kilicool64

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2017, 23:49:44 »
Quite an impressive run indeed. You truly understand how to use the ball. Really goes to show just how much power skillfully executed rapid transformations give you.

It's still pretty rough around the edges, what with all the mistakes, but if you practice some more, you could really boost the game's standard for high level play.

I don't have as good a grasp on the game's map to comment much on the route, but I could see there being one potential minor shortcut. Ever heard of this bug? It allows you to head to the bottom-right of the yoga monster room fairly quickly if you exploit it to its full potential. I can give you a detailed explanation if you don't know how.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2017, 00:01:28 by kilicool64 »

Offline Zathnic

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2017, 20:50:32 »
That's a really neat trick! I tested it and it saves about 25 seconds. With this it should be possible to aim for sub 21 minutes, otherwise I think it would have required near perfect execution of my route.