[KS+] [Challenge/Scenic] [Large] Stalwart Constellation

• 8 Replies
[KS+] [Challenge/Scenic] [Large] Stalwart Constellation
« on: April 02, 2018, 08:41:24 »

Yep, that thread in Knytt Stories Level Releases might have been an April Fools' Day joke, but the level itself isn't! It's just a lot less finished than i made it seem.

Inspired by an Undertale AU called Outertale, Stalwart Constellation takes place in a faraway asteroid field where a knytt civilization has formed after a spaceship crash-landed there many centuries ago. A young knytt named Maart sets out to explore the various nearby asteroids and hopefully... accomplish... something. At some point. He's not quite sure what that would be, though.

Spoiler: Screenshots (click to show/hide)

Planned features:
  • More than 150 recolored versions of standard KS objects
  • Recolored versions of many default and non-default tilesets
  • A large open world, made up of 3 different asteroids for you to explore
  • Multiple endings depending on how many artifacts of each kind you collect, kind of like in Saira but slightly different
  • Item shops, allowing you to acquire powerups in (almost) any order you'd like
  • Absolutely no blackcurrant or apricot jam anywhere in the entire level!
« Last Edit: April 02, 2018, 08:43:53 by StraightFlame »

Offline Vegetal Gibber

• Sorry excuse for a game designer
    • View Profile
    • VG's Games Portfolio
Re: [KS+] [Challenge/Scenic] [Large] Stalwart Constellation
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2018, 13:57:56 »
Looks promising! I like the overall color scheme you're going with and I'm looking forward to trying out the mentioned item shop mechanic. Good luck with this one :D

Spoiler: (click to show/hide)
Some KS levels by me:

Offline sergiocornaga

• View Profile
    • Sergio's Games
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2018, 15:03:05 »
Thanks for your concern VG, but I was just April foolin' with that remark! In fact, I suspect that combination blackcurrant and apricot allergies aren't even a real thing.

Offline Purple Ink

• View Profile
    • My lore forum
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2018, 09:56:52 »
Looks like this'll be good. Really like those first 2 screenshots.

Offline Talps

• ...especially in a life-or-death situation!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2018, 12:20:40 »
Exciting!

So I'm guessing Maart himself will be a custom character?
« Last Edit: April 29, 2018, 12:33:07 by Talps »

« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2018, 01:11:56 »
It's been almost 4 months, so i guess i should post some kind of update or something.

First of all, here's what the map is like right now. As i've stated in the first post, there are 3 asteroids you can go to. These screenshots are the maps of the first and second asteroid respectively; i haven't started working on the third asteroid yet.

Placeholder and/or duplicate screens have been edited out for the sake of convenience.

I'm not sure, but i think i currently have roughly twice as many screens as i did back in April when i started this thread.
Also, there are currently 22 coins (out of 100) and 3 artifacts (out of 21) that can be collected.

Also, i made 2 new tilesets. And by "made", i mean edited. And by "new", i mean default. So here's a screenshot of one of them, because the Nifforum Discord already knows i'm doing something with tileset 24 so why not:

If you look closely, you can see that i also have a player character now! And just like pretty much everything else in this level, Maart is a recolor of something made by someone else. More specifically, he's a recolor of Luu, a custom character made by Fubaka.

(Also, he wears a lighter shade of blue than everyone else because main character.)

« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2020, 22:08:05 »
I recently realized that i have no idea what i'm doing with this level or how i'm supposed to do it. Turns out my usual "just make stuff up as you go along" approach to level design doesn't really work for large interconnected Metroidvania-like worlds like in Stalwart Constellation. The way individual areas are currently connected to one another is... well... nonexistent, really, which is just plain unacceptable for a level like this, and i'm pretty sure i could've avoided that if i just planned ahead a bit more.

Stalwart Constellation ain't dead yet, but it's on hiatus for the time being, until i get my act together.

Offline Purple Ink

• View Profile
    • My lore forum
« Reply #7 on: November 02, 2020, 04:19:51 »
Any updates on this?

« Reply #8 on: November 03, 2020, 20:26:24 »
Unfortunately not.