Forum Logo Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
August 21, 2017, 07:38:23 | See new unread posts
Home Help Search Arcade Chat Login Register

nifflas.ni2.se  |  Nifflas' Support Forum  |  Level Editing Support  |  Knytt Stories Level Previews  |  Topic: [Playground/Challenge] [Easy] [Dumb] Lemons « previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: [Playground/Challenge] [Easy] [Dumb] Lemons  (Read 221 times)
Vegetal Gibber

Total My honestly gotten stars: 98

Sorry excuse for a game designer

View Profile WWW
« on: July 30, 2017, 17:23:43 »

It's the sequel to Tomatoes! This time, exclusively for KS+.

I started working on this about 3-4 months ago, but it wasn't until last week that I finally started building the actual level. I've decided to start a preview thread in order to (hopefully) give myself a reason to commit to this project and actually finish it.

Just like Tomatoes, this will be mostly a playground-type level with a focus on free exploration and humor. However, it will be somewhat larger (probably about 80 screens, although I may even make it Medium sized, which is pretty rare for me) and include more interactive elements. It's not intended to be an epic/memorable adventure by any means, but hopefully it'll make for a rather amusing time waster :P

Main features:

• More lemons than you can possibly handle. Salt and tequila not included.
  • A fair amount of custom material (especially graphics).
  • Both layer 3 AND layer 2/1/0 tiles! Also, objects and gradients!
  • A few different areas to explore and unlock by collecting powers and other items. No golden creatures, though. It'd be a nightmare to spot them among all that yellow.
  • Interact with the inhabitants of Lemonia to unlock hidden quests and learn more about them than you actually want.
  • A lot of non-sequiturs and generally stupid, cringeworthy dialogue.
  • A .knytt.bin file that somehow magically expands into several other files. I kid you not.
  • A chance (*) to win fabulous real prizes just by installing and playing the level!

* Up to 0%

A couple early screenshots:

I intend to finish and release this level sometime around the end of August, if everything goes smoothly.

Also, the infamous bag of potato chips may or may not make a comeback. I haven't decided yet :P
« Last Edit: July 30, 2017, 19:53:17 by Vegetal Gibber » Logged

Some KS levels by me:
SilasMann

Total My honestly gotten stars: 29

A Real Horse

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2017, 19:02:26 »

Looking forward to playing this once it's released. You know what they say, when life gives you lemons... make a Knytt Stories level out of it.
Vegetal Gibber

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2017, 16:02:24 »

You know what they say, when life gives you lemons... make a Knytt Stories level out of it.

...which is pretty much the case here. I drew the lemon tileset in a whim a few months ago, with nothing particular in mind. I was just going to release it on my "custom content" thread, but then I changed my mind at the last minute and decided to build a level around it (the tileset will still be released with the "KS Use/Edit OK" license once the level is completed, though). Also, I've been eating quite a lot of lemon popsicles since summer started, which may or may have not contributed to my inspiration 8)

The idea behind this was to start a somewhat simple project so I could relax a bit making stuff without having to think too much, although I'm making a fair amount of custom stuff for it, including: new water animations, new creatures and a couple of tilesets (besides the one shown in the screenshots). Hope you like the end result!

Some KS levels by me:
Vegetal Gibber

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2017, 13:46:36 »

Current screen count: 72. It will likely end up a Medium sized level after all.

If you always wanted to be surrounded by huge pools of lemon juice and lemon waterfalls: 1) Now you can!... and 2) you're a weirdo.

Spoiler: New liquids -- preview (click to show/hide)

Some KS levels by me:
Vegetal Gibber

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2017, 14:57:54 »

I've been working almost exclusively on The Dithered Temple for the past days, but I managed to make some progress on the COs:

Also, here's a sneak preview of a new area, featuring the "lemony edition" of an old tileset:

Spoiler: (click to show/hide)

Some KS levels by me:
Pages: [1] Print 
nifflas.ni2.se  |  Nifflas' Support Forum  |  Level Editing Support  |  Knytt Stories Level Previews  |  Topic: [Playground/Challenge] [Easy] [Dumb] Lemons « previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length