Forum Logo Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
October 19, 2017, 04:31:28 | See new unread posts
Home Help Search Arcade Chat Login Register

nifflas.ni2.se  |  Nifflas' Support Forum  |  Level Editing Support  |  Knytt Stories Level Previews  |  Topic: [Challenge] [Hard/Lunatic] [KS+] The Dithered Temple « previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: [Challenge] [Hard/Lunatic] [KS+] The Dithered Temple  (Read 744 times)
Vegetal Gibber

Total My honestly gotten stars: 113

Sorry excuse for a game designer

View Profile WWW
« on: August 09, 2017, 20:17:48 »

Current progress: ~80% completed

It's been ages since I last designed a pure "Challenge" level, so I decided to take one of my recently released tilesets and start yet another project (instead of finishing any of the other 3 I started, like a smart individual would :P ).

"The Dithered Temple" (tentative title) will be a short, retro-styled (complete with fake 16-color EGA graphics and AdLib-like music) and rather hard challenge level with lots of traps and tricky jumps. It will also feature a secret, completely optional area with harder versions of the regular challenges and possibly a few new ones that will make the player experience a whole new level of hate towards the level designer (hence the Hard/Lunatic tag).

Spoiler: Screenshots (click to show/hide)

* This level will require egomassive's KS+ mod to play
« Last Edit: September 21, 2017, 17:22:08 by Vegetal Gibber » Logged

Some KS levels by me:
canteven

Total My honestly gotten stars: 19

Young and Needed the Money

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2017, 21:24:07 »

I would be up to try it.
Vegetal Gibber

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2017, 21:55:41 »

Thanks! :D  I'll send you a PM with a link to the alpha version soon (most likely tomorrow).

Some KS levels by me:
SC

Total My honestly gotten stars: 19

Ha-ha-ha! Videogames! *laugh track*

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2017, 23:39:28 »

Yo, this kicks ass! I'm not that great with challenge levels but I'll still give this a shot when this comes out!

Visit scenic
SPRITECLAD.COM!
It's as tasty as raisins!
StraightFlame

Total My honestly gotten stars: 60

Super Duper High School Palette-Swapper

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2017, 00:38:09 »

>mfw screenshots
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HGAYoVuz6FM

Mystery project status:
Finally started working on the first area.
Vegetal Gibber

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2017, 13:37:36 »

Glad you guys liked the preview! Hopefully I can get this ready to release in a few weeks or so. It shouldn't take too long, since this is supposed to be a small level and I'm trying my hardest not to turn this one into my usual 20+ CO party :P  Instead, I intend to focus on the basics and the use of KS+ exclusive traps/areas.

I'm not sure if the overall difficulty level of the final version will be "Hard" or "Very Hard", though. I'm aiming to offer experienced KS players a decent challenge, but I'm also trying to be as fair as possible. The challenges I'm making rely mostly on timing and reflexes, avoiding the use of enemies/traps with random behavior as much as possible, and I'm keeping the distance between save points short in the hardest sections to minimize frustration (having to do 2-3 entire screens over and over can be quite aggravating). Still, depending on the preliminary feedback, I may tone the current challenges down a notch and leave all the hair-pulling situations to the optional/secret areas.

Some KS levels by me:
Vegetal Gibber

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2017, 15:57:07 »

I took a break from this to participate in Sergio's latest Knytt Stories collaboration project, so I haven't made much progress since the preliminary testing round ended (level's currently about 55% done). I do intend to resume work on this shortly, though.

In the meantime, here's a screenshot from one of the breather areas, where the player can relax a little before tackling on the second part of the temple:

Some KS levels by me:
Vegetal Gibber

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2017, 20:12:29 »

I've been making good progress on this (about 70% done at this moment). I'm still not completely sure about the difficulty category for this, though. Overall, I'd say it's "Hard" with a few challenges and secrets bordering on "Very Hard", but I will probably need some more external feedback to help me keep things balanced. Depending on the results, I might end up adding a second, easier difficulty setting for the main quest (the optional bonus area will still be Lunatic-ish, though).

For this reason, I'm going to need an additional betatester when the RC version is ready, so feel free to reply here or PM me if you're interested. Bear in mind that this is a rather tricky level (at least in its current state) and the bonus section will feature Very Hard/Lunatic challenges, so a certain degree of t3h mad skillz will be required :P

I can't believe I said that...

Some KS levels by me:
Pages: [1] Print 
nifflas.ni2.se  |  Nifflas' Support Forum  |  Level Editing Support  |  Knytt Stories Level Previews  |  Topic: [Challenge] [Hard/Lunatic] [KS+] The Dithered Temple « previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length