[Hard/Very Hard] [Small] [Trickjump] Escape the Spikes

• 4 Replies
[Hard/Very Hard] [Small] [Trickjump] Escape the Spikes
« on: December 25, 2017, 04:57:03 »
This is a small trickjump level I made a long time ago. It features a unique concept, but I was never fully satisfied with it, so I didn't release it. Since then, I've added an easier difficulty setting, wherein I cleaned up a lot of the unfair parts.

Download from knyttlevels

« Last Edit: December 25, 2017, 05:03:01 by Purple Pineapple »
Lurk more.

Offline LPChip

• You can only truly help other people by allowing them to fail.
  • Excel at the thing you're the best at!
    • View Profile
    • LPChip Interactive
Re: [Hard/Very Hard] [Small] [Trickjump] Escape the Spikes
« Reply #1 on: December 25, 2017, 13:28:47 »
Listening to the description alone (and also after seeing two screens of your other "trickjump" level, I wonder if this level really is a trickjump level.

The idea behind a trickjump level, is that it is solely about jumping, from start to finish. Your other level (maze) definitely fails that qualifier. Trickjump doesn't mean: this level has some really nasty jumps. It means, all you do is jump from one ledge to the next, and failure means a setback.

So I think you should change both maps to Challenge instead, at least, if this map is not an actual trickjump level either.
on the left, above my avatar.

MODPlug Central Forum
"If I tried to kill you, I'd end up with a big fat hole through my laptop." - Chironex

« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2018, 22:51:14 »
x1012y1020 x0y6

You can get killed by the horizontal spikes here. Pretty sure this is a bug. (I did not encounter this when playing the harder version.)

@ LPChip: This does appear to be a trickjump level. There isn't really a point at which you can cruise through without having to make tricky jumps.

Spoiler: Although... (click to show/hide)

@Purple Pineapple: I'd like to note I thought this had a fun intro.

« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2018, 22:31:22 »
Spoiler: Although... (click to show/hide)
Lurk more.

Offline LPChip

• You can only truly help other people by allowing them to fail.
  • Excel at the thing you're the best at!
    • View Profile
    • LPChip Interactive
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2018, 23:37:14 »
Dying is indeed not a problem for a trickjump level. The idea of a trickjump level is that the entire level is about jumping. Preferably there's a training area at the start (but this is optional), but the level should mostly be one jump after another until the finish line has been reached.
on the left, above my avatar.

MODPlug Central Forum
"If I tried to kill you, I'd end up with a big fat hole through my laptop." - Chironex