On/off power signs (AND MORE! 2022 UPDATE)

• 1 Replies

Offline Wibi

• apologies for the interference
    • View Profile
On/off power signs (AND MORE! 2022 UPDATE)
« on: December 30, 2017, 09:46:00 »
2022 UPDATE: This set has been updated to contain:
  • blue signs that can have controls on them (S, arrows, Ctrl+R, etc.) - this extends PowerStates and all types of Sign, and includes Ctrl.png
  • frames for the KS+ mapper powerup in its own file (Mapper.png)
  • SignMini, a one-tile sign
  • poles that turn corners
  • custom objects resembling animated square shifts (PowerShift.png) - recommended speed is 125
  • a 4-color CGA variant of the whole pack, including the above additions
Get the newest version by downloading the PowerSigns2022 attachment. If you used red poles in your level and overwrite the original Poles.png with the PowerSigns2022 Poles.png, you will need to update the COs for those, since the frames corresponding to those poles have changed due to the addition of corner poles.

(Tilesets in 2nd example gif by Sergio Cornaga and Vegetal Gibber.)

These are to use with shifts that turn your powers on or off. Red signs should be used with an X symbol, and indicate they turn powers off. Green signs should be used with a check symbol, and indicate they turn powers on.

What's available in this pack? Scaled versions of a checkmark, an X, and every power in the game; as well as a 3-part flickering screen to put it on

So it's all just 5 images: PowerStates, SignLeft, SignMiddle, SignRight, and Poles. PowerStates contains individual 16x16 frames, while the rest of the images have 24x24 frames. You place PowerStates on a higher layer than the sign you want to display it on. You have to poke around with the starting frame, ending frame, and loop back to settings to get the right objects showing. All objects except the poles are supposed to have a two-frame animation, a flickering screen. I recommend you set the speed on all of them to 250, since 500 and above is kind of an eyesore, and if the speed isn't consistent on all of them then it's going to look weird.

And yes, you WILL need multiple custom objects corresponding to the same image.

For PowerStates it's kind of like tuning an antenna. If you want the umbrella to display on a red "off" sign, you have to set the starting frame and loop back to to 12, and the ending frame to 13, since the two frames we want are the 13th and 14th but indices start at 0. Also, all PowerStates frames should be specified as 16x16 - don't worry, they automatically center themselves. They also include the "flickering" on them so they really look as if they're just being displayed on a flickering monitor.

About the keys in PowerStates, you may notice they're represented by numbers rather than colors. As all of the objects here are monochrome, save the color white, I couldn't properly color them. So just pretend the key marked 1 is the red key, the key marked 2 is the yellow key, etc. going from left to right on the powers inventory.

If you're clever enough to get one shift (well, SEEMINGLY one shift) to disable multiple powers, there's support for that. Signs can be however many tiles wide you want thanks to SignMiddle.

For the poles just make sure starting frame, ending frame, and loop back to are all the same value, since they're meant to be static CO's. 0 is horizontal red pole, 1 is vertical red pole, 2 is horizontal green pole, 3 is vertical green pole. If you find that an incredible waste of four CO spaces, you could always just dump them into a utility tileset or something.

Feel free to edit them. You don't have to provide credit if you use them, just don't claim it's entirely yours.

Tell me if I need to clarify any further...
« Last Edit: July 16, 2022, 11:20:28 by canteven / ncrecc »

Offline Wibi

• apologies for the interference
    • View Profile
Re: On/off power signs
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2022, 10:56:04 »
Remember this thing? I don't! Who the hell made this crap! :crazy:

In 2018-ish I made a few additions to this... build-your-own-CO set? Not sure what you'd call it. I didn't share them because I was already using them in my own cool new level that I was actively working on and that would blow the minds of KS players everywhere. The only caveat being that, by "actively working on", I mean " "actively working on" ". And by " "actively working on" ", I mean "expecting to magically be finished". They got passed around a few levels that received a similarly brief attention span, but ultimately never surfaced in anything.

Then today, I started Yet Another project using them, and made the CGA variants, and realized "hey, there should be a mapper icon for these!" ...And then I realized, Christ, these are ancient! And so I dropped what I was doing and actually became assed to compile the new stuff into a zip and update this post. :P Check the original post for what's been added, and a new download!

Alright, that's over with. Time to totally definitely work on Alternate Reality Machine instead of continuing my life cycle of procrastinating and sleeping. Definitely.