• 35 Replies

Offline Rixanu

• Don't turn out the lights...
    • View Profile
    • deviantART
[Environmental/Puzzle-Platformer] Eversion
« on: April 29, 2009, 23:45:26 »
Description: Rescued from the old forum (edited a little):
Eversion is a short little platformer by Guilherme (Zaratustra) Tows. In the game you control a little puffball. His world is happy. Even the enemies wear a smile. All is cheery. Or so it seems... Press Z to jump and X or SPACE to use eversion points, which alter the world around you, helping or hindering you. The goal of the game is to make it through the levels, collecting as many gems as you can. It's preferable to collect all the gems, so you can get to level 8 and the "good ending". If you don't, you get the "bad ending" at the end of level 7. Your score is based on collecting gems and killing enemies, but the score isn't that important.
Please note: The game's website warns: "NOT INDICATED FOR CHILDREN OR THOSE OF A NERVOUS DISPOSITION." Essentially, don't play if you're easily scared.

Spoiler: Screenshot: (click to show/hide)

Download: Here.

Offline googoogjoob

• Forum Walrus
  • The Walrus is me.
    • View Profile
    • I have a LiveJournal. Yes. I do.
Re: [Environmental/Puzzle-Platformer] Eversion
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2009, 00:02:11 »
This is a very good game. (Until the final stage, when it turns into a hellish luck-based gameplay section. Unless you know how to take advantage of a glitch to get past the area.) The gradual changing of the atmosphere is very neat.
good bye

« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2009, 01:23:35 »
Ugh. This game was well thoughtout, but surprisingly difficult.
Lurk more.

Offline FlyingPigBoy

• Lord of the Swine
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2009, 05:59:05 »
When I saw the NOT INDICATED FOR CHILDREN... Thing and then the screenie, I laughed out loud.
Then I played the game.
Now it's another story.

Spoiler: Thanks Saml! (click to show/hide)
My stars:
(embarrassingly empty)

Offline KG

• Perhaps.
    • View Profile
    • Kittens
« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2009, 06:35:18 »
Oh hey, I showed this to googoogjoob a while ago. Yeah this is a fun game, I like the idea.
The good ending is cute.

Offline Lizzaroro

• Raaaaaaahhh!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2009, 08:37:08 »
I've seen one LP of Deseased crab playing this game and it looks interesting. But when I saw the part where blackness was about to kill you I was thinking "What the? They ruined it!"
Click the Holoskull for my newest project... (Its on hold due to Doombuilder issues). And all my old levels are here
My Youtube *Contains NSFW*

« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2009, 10:09:53 »
When I saw the NOT INDICATED FOR CHILDREN... Thing and then the screenie, I laughed out loud.
Then I played the game.
Now it's another story.
Ditto  O_o  XD

Offline Kasran

• TRANSFENESTRATIVE EGRESS
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2009, 16:35:40 »
What kind of scary is it? Is it "creepy-scary" or "things jumping out at you WTF IS THAT HOLY CRAP scary"?
grao!

4a

« Reply #8 on: April 30, 2009, 16:48:14 »
What kind of scary is it? Is it "creepy-scary" or "things jumping out at you WTF IS THAT HOLY CRAP scary"?

First one, then the other. :D

Offline Gaeel

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 01, 2009, 02:21:43 »
I played this once, I finished maybe 5 or 6 levels trying to find what would be scary, but gave up after I almost threw my computer out of the window due to the really cruddy controls...

Anyone mind telling me what's supposed to be scary? i can't even find scary in the Youtube videos of it. (I'm not playing hardball, I just haven't seen anything other that a Mario-style platformer rip-off with a slight twist to make you have to backtrack every level about 5 times, and a relatively nifty color effect and a wall of black bubbles that kills you)
Code: [Select]
<Gaeel> I love you Dataflashsabot!
<Dataflashsabot> I love you too Gaeel!
<Gaeel> Wait are we really having this conversation?
<Dataflashsabot> I think we might be a figment of Gaeel's twisted imagination...

Offline googoogjoob

• Forum Walrus
  • The Walrus is me.
    • View Profile
    • I have a LiveJournal. Yes. I do.
« Reply #10 on: May 01, 2009, 02:44:19 »
It's not so much scary as creepy in a Lovecraftian way. (Of course, it was made for a Lovecraft game competition.)

And how are the controls cruddy? They're just arrows and jump, and then one other key. The only control issue I ever had with the game was getting the precision needed to fall through one-tile-wide gaps, since you can actually walk over them if you're moving fast enough.
good bye

« Reply #11 on: May 01, 2009, 06:28:07 »
And how are the controls cruddy? They're just arrows and jump, and then one other key. The only control issue I ever had with the game was getting the precision needed to fall through one-tile-wide gaps, since you can actually walk over them if you're moving fast enough.
Heh. If you're just tapping the arrow key, you can still walk over them. X)
Lurk more.

Offline Firecat

• Every bit is important.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 01, 2009, 07:22:58 »
I played it, and the first levels looks like a great concept. but in level 4 that concept crapped out to a macrabe game, and in 5, i understood the warning. i think "oh my gawd, this is like a lunatic ermmm... hard game :ohnoes:".

EDIT:I got the bad ending
Spoiler: (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: May 02, 2009, 09:45:27 by Firecat »
There's 110011 kinds of people in the world. Those who understand binary, Those who don't, and those who confuse it with ASCII.

4a

« Reply #13 on: May 01, 2009, 16:24:32 »
Anyone mind telling me what's supposed to be scary? i can't even find scary in the Youtube videos of it. (I'm not playing hardball, I just haven't seen anything other that a Mario-style platformer rip-off with a slight twist to make you have to backtrack every level about 5 times, and a relatively nifty color effect and a wall of black bubbles that kills you)

I thought the stuff that happens in like level 5 and onwards is kind of scary. >_>
It's not really a "Mario-style platformer rip-off" if only the status bar and basic game mechanics are similar. Or you could say it is and also say that almost every other platformer is also a "rip-off".
I only remember one level when I really had to backtrack, and it wasn't that hard either. :O

I played it, and the first levels looks like a great concept. but in level 4 that concept crapped out to a macrabe game, and in 5, i understood the warning. i think "oh my gawd, this is like a lunatic level of knytt stories :ohnoes:".

The lunatic levels I've played in KS are waaay harder than this game.
In this game there's only one or maybe two hard parts, while in lunatic levels it's constant trial and error usually complemented with three save points throughout the whole level. <_<
I think it's basically like one of those old NES games, as far as difficulty is concerned. Kids these days are used to super-easy games they have on all these new systems, so they never got used to the old games that relied on pure reflex and memory.
Like the last levels in Super Mario, oh wow those are annoying. Harder than this, definitely.

Offline Salmoneous

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 11, 2009, 18:51:19 »
Im stuck on the second level.
See the screenshoot, how do I jump from the first platform to the other.
I think it has something to do with the clouds but I cant jump on them.