KS Java Editor (+ source code)

• 52 Replies

Offline oebchen

• View Profile
Re: KS Java Editor (+ source code)
« Reply #15 on: May 12, 2009, 19:45:11 »
Thanks for telling me! :) All those things I didn't know about Java - shame on me C)p But regardless of the dot/slash thing, it works now - I'm happy! Thanks again!

Offline AA

• Was ITA84
    • View Profile
    • Insight on Videogames
« Reply #16 on: May 12, 2009, 19:53:25 »
Looki: I've made a very quick fix to the bank/object selectors; please try the attached version and check if that works alright for you. If it does, I'll fix all the other related bugs in the next release, which will have other minor fixes. Thanks for your cooperation.
Videogames are for everyone, by everyone

Offline AA

• Was ITA84
    • View Profile
    • Insight on Videogames
« Reply #17 on: May 23, 2009, 14:56:36 »
I haven't heard from Looki yet, but the latest version should work for everyone; I've also finally found out what those 4 bytes in the .knytt.bin files were, and adjusted the editor accordingly.

I think I'll be taking another break from this and try other things; I'm still available for fixes though.

Offline minmay

• View Profile
    • Cow Muffins
« Reply #18 on: August 28, 2009, 00:00:40 »
Having a bit of a problem with this editor.

As most of you probably know by now, I'm running Ubuntu Linux instead of Windows now, and decided to try the Java editor rather than attempt the nightmare which would be running the regular editor under WINE.  (And no, I still haven't got the regular game working.)

The editor works from what I can see, however, it runs at a terrible framerate and takes up a lot of CPU (usage of both cores about 80%).  This makes it nearly unusable to be honest - I have to wait about a second for the cursor to respond, and...yeah.
I know rather little about Linux, and even less about Java, so I can't really help myself with this.

By the way, my computer doesn't just suck, or anything - both of my processor's cores are 3.8 GHz.  Also, other Java stuff runs great.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2009, 00:08:34 by minmay »

Offline AA

• Was ITA84
    • View Profile
    • Insight on Videogames
« Reply #19 on: August 28, 2009, 10:00:58 »
I don't really know... This editor isn't supposed to be faster than the original of course, but since on my 1,6 GHz dual core it runs acceptably well (but I didn't check CPU usage), then there has to be a problem somewhere.

This is my setup:
- Mandriva Linux 64-bit with KDE4
- NVidia GeForce Go 7300 with the latest closed source drivers
- 3D destop effects enabled
- OpenJDK 1.6.0

However, if you say your other Java apps (I'm assuming graphical ones) run great, specs shouldn't really matter. If you post your setup as well, I'll do some tests on a virtual machine.

I haven't worked on the editor for a while, because I'm no expert on Java graphics optimizations, but sooner or later I'll get back to it.

Thanks for your post.  C)

Offline minmay

• View Profile
    • Cow Muffins
« Reply #20 on: August 28, 2009, 16:34:02 »
Actually, I may have an old version of OpenJDK.  I'll update and all that.

Offline AClockworkLemon

• -Inactive-
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 17, 2009, 01:03:19 »
YAY finally someting that works on mac without a  virtual machine. Slight problem... I dont know haow to do anything using terminal or anything like that. obechan or some one else who knows, could you post up/PM me a step-by-step on how to run it? that would be AWSMOE!
I'm not dead. Not entirely. And yes, I'm embarrassed by most of the posts I made here.
:hiddenstar: - From Pumpkinbot

Offline AA

• Was ITA84
    • View Profile
    • Insight on Videogames
« Reply #22 on: October 17, 2009, 09:58:33 »
As oebchen mentioned, double-clicking on a .jar file should execute it, both on Windows and Mac OS. If you're having the same problem with the unpacking of the .zip file, I'll just upload a new .jar on MediaFire FileFactory for you. Otherwise, if you want to use the terminal regardless, you can just look around for some tutorials. As far as I could gather, Mac OS X Finder doesn't have an option to open a terminal on the current location by default, so you'd have to open the utility and then 'cd' to your KS installation folder.

File Factory link (for some reason Media Fire didn't work for me)

EDIT: rehosted the .jar file.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2010, 08:04:56 by AA »

Offline Looki

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 17, 2009, 16:28:58 »
Wow, sorry, AA! Yes, object and bank selectors now work properly with my tablet. Thanks. ;)

Offline Evil

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 20, 2010, 00:02:13 »
Ok, how do I assemble this? :)
« Last Edit: May 26, 2010, 03:09:54 by Evil »

Offline AA

• Was ITA84
    • View Profile
    • Insight on Videogames
« Reply #25 on: May 27, 2010, 10:44:52 »
I'm sorry I haven't replied sooner, but what do you mean by 'assemble'? Once downloaded, you should be able to launch the editor right away, running the .jar file.

Offline Evil

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 27, 2010, 13:18:56 »
so the files should be kept separated?

no special folder arranging needed? :)

Offline AA

• Was ITA84
    • View Profile
    • Insight on Videogames
« Reply #27 on: May 27, 2010, 15:23:23 »
This makes me think you unpacked the .jar file, which isn't necessary. If you did that, or if for some reason you can't run the .jar file directly, you can still use the unpacked files, but it may be more complicated: basically, the Java class that starts the editor is KSEditor (in the KSJavaEditor folder), but to make it work you have to make sure the Java Classpath includes the folder where you unpacked the .jar file.

I made the editor to work as a .jar file (which you can put wherever you want, by the way), and the other Mac users don't seem to have a problem with that; if it wasn't your mistake and you can't run the editor as a .jar file please let me know, I could make you a shell script or something to easily make it run unpacked.

Offline Evil

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 29, 2010, 06:15:50 »
This makes me think you unpacked the .jar file, which isn't necessary. If you did that, or if for some reason you can't run the .jar file directly, you can still use the unpacked files, but it may be more complicated: basically, the Java class that starts the editor is KSEditor (in the KSJavaEditor folder), but to make it work you have to make sure the Java Classpath includes the folder where you unpacked the .jar file.

I dont particularly get this sentence :(

Can you say it easier? :) Please? :)

Offline Mr. Monkey

• jolly good fellow
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 29, 2010, 08:23:36 »
the CLASSPATH environment variable determines where the JVM searches for classes to load; not including the correct path would result in incapability of loading the editor properly

my advice if you want a simpler approach is just to run java on the jar file so it knows where the classes are already
o__  o