Tileset Shortage! :U

• 39 Replies

Offline Feline Monstrosity

• Pussy cat, pussy cat..
    • View Profile
Re: Tileset Shortage! :U
« Reply #15 on: February 10, 2010, 23:24:45 »
I posted a ton I'd retrieved from the old forums...

I do like Widget's idea though.
"In the world there is nothing more submissive and weak than water. Yet for attacking that which is hard and strong nothing can surpass it. "  ~Lao Tzu

Offline Evil

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 11, 2010, 00:56:09 »
and gaeel has a page (I think it was him) dedicated to tilesets

Offline Mochaalatte

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 11, 2010, 01:09:25 »
That would be this page.
Spoiler: (click to show/hide)
Bluh bluh. I have this thing now.

Offline Evil

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 11, 2010, 16:51:22 »
yes so we dont need quality tilesets anymore :)

Offline Shawnachu

• Contemplating
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 11, 2010, 23:48:18 »

Offline Pumpkinbot

• No terrain is too hard. Not even dragons.
    • View Profile
    • My DeviantART page
« Reply #20 on: February 12, 2010, 01:13:07 »
Shameless self-advertising go!
...Are you a new Power Ranger? xD

We don't have a tileset shortage! Not only is there 255 default tilsets, there is houndreds of public tilesets out there. We don't need more tilesets, we need to retrive the ones we've lost.
I don't like to use the default ones 'cause they've been abused to he--er, heck. (;))
A God, a Messiah, an Angel, a King, a Prince, and an All Terrain Vehicle.

Offline BioShock

• Yes, I do like Bioshock
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 13, 2010, 05:54:33 »
We don't have a tileset shortage! Not only is there 255 default tilsets, there is houndreds of public tilesets out there. We don't need more tilesets, we need to retrive the ones we've lost.

We can never have to many tilesets!

Offline Evil

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 13, 2010, 06:39:05 »
where was the thread that showed us how to make tilesets? :( I lose it!

Offline Salmoneous

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 13, 2010, 09:35:56 »
where was the thread that showed us how to make tilesets? :( I lose it!

http://nifflas.lpchip.nl/index.php?topic=1742.0

We can never have to many tilesets!

I think we did go over that limit a long time ago since there is a hell of alot tilesets never to been used in a released or yet-to-be-released level. Knytt stories is not very active as it was. I mean, you can all go and make public tilesets, they would prolly never be put to use.

Offline pumpkin

• Breton Blunt Conjurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 16, 2010, 06:15:37 »
Here's a little tileset for a level I been workin on. Please critique! (Free to steal by the way)

[mod]Removed the attachment. A newer version is attached in a later post in this topic.[/mod]
« Last Edit: February 18, 2010, 19:32:13 by LPChip »
Many a hand has scaled the grand old face of the plateau,
Some belong to strangers and some to folks you know,
Holy ghosts and talk show hosts are planted in the sand,
To beautify the foothills and shake the many hands.
-The Meat Puppets

« Reply #25 on: February 16, 2010, 06:35:15 »
Critique? Okay. I'll start out by saying that it's a good tileset. Not one of those slap-together-in-two-minutes ones. The first thing I notice is that there's a window tile with cracks in it. Not that this looks bad, but if you have multiple windows it starts to look repetitive. Perhaps a duplicate window without cracks and possibly another with different cracks? The same is true of the center ground tile. Next, are the Knytts: their hair color, grey, is a bit unnatural, and blends with the skin. If that is not hair, and is instead a suit or something, I'd make the distinction a bit more obvious. Furthermore, the other Knytts are a bit round. The trask can is good. When placed on a ground tile, however, the dirt and the dirt on the ground will be cut through by a black line (the border of the ground). I'm not sure how to fix this. The grey rips look okay on the dark brown couch, but they stand out a bit too much on the red one. Perhaps a reddish tint would fix that. As for the glass. In general glass came be made semi-transparent with alpha-channel. If you don't know how to do this, however, don't bother. The color of the glass is not quite right. It is a bit too dark. As it appears to be a rather broken down kind of tileset, I would advise making it a bit more greyish. Or at least not as bright blue as you have it at present. The signs look too mspainty for my tastes. One thing you could do is put some amount of effort into making the words look more real.

Wow that's one of the lengthiest comments I've made.
Lurk more.

Offline Salmoneous

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 16, 2010, 07:51:50 »
The first thing I notice is that there's a window tile with cracks in it. Not that this looks bad, but if you have multiple windows it starts to look repetitive. Perhaps a duplicate window without cracks and possibly another with different cracks?

There is 2 windows, one window that is broken and one that is not.

Offline Feline Monstrosity

• Pussy cat, pussy cat..
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 16, 2010, 11:42:26 »
It's a nice tileset, but personally I think it needs a little more texture. I'm not a massive fan of the single-colour unshaded look. Also the dirt on the truck looks very placed (unnatural, as if it's been painted on, rather than splattered.) I see you do have two centre-ground-tile variations, but personally I'd be very cautious about using such a texture; you have to be very careful about how it looks when it's repeated. I suggest you try it out in the level editor by placing a long row of ground tiles to see how repetitive it looks. I think the thing that bothers me most about the tileset is that the look you seem to be going for is a very run-down, dilapidated look, and what throws it off is how symmetrical it all looks.
I hope I haven't been too critical so as to put you off, you have plenty of great ideas there so keep it up. :)
"In the world there is nothing more submissive and weak than water. Yet for attacking that which is hard and strong nothing can surpass it. "  ~Lao Tzu

Offline minmay

• View Profile
    • Cow Muffins
« Reply #28 on: February 16, 2010, 21:37:09 »
Yeah, it needs more texture, and maybe some very slight shading - the main problem with it is the solid, bright MSPaint default colors.  A lot of the objects, particularily the couches, would benefit from having solid outlines.

« Reply #29 on: February 17, 2010, 01:34:34 »
The first thing I notice is that there's a window tile with cracks in it. Not that this looks bad, but if you have multiple windows it starts to look repetitive. Perhaps a duplicate window without cracks and possibly another with different cracks?

There is 2 windows, one window that is broken and one that is not.
Oh that's a trailer alternate window! I mean.. er.. I knew that.
Lurk more.