[challange] Strafe!

• 13 Replies

Offline Salmoneous

• View Profile
[challange] Strafe!
« on: March 07, 2010, 19:34:33 »

Offline Pumpkinbot

• No terrain is too hard. Not even dragons.
    • View Profile
    • My DeviantART page
Re: [challange] Strafe!
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2010, 19:51:32 »
Lurve the tilesets!  :whoa: *downloads*

EDIT: Here's my assessment.
Graphics: Simple, but beautiful! The colors were nice and sharp without it being eye-searing. 10/10
Challenge: It was fun at first, but...no. The falling parts were waaaay too luck-based. 5/10
Story: None, as far as I can tell. N/A
Overall: 7.5/10
« Last Edit: March 07, 2010, 20:01:48 by Pumpkinbot »
A God, a Messiah, an Angel, a King, a Prince, and an All Terrain Vehicle.

Offline theiza27

• 'allo!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2010, 20:18:45 »
first off... in ur title screen it says map and graphics by "Salmon" lolz

and it was pretty at first... but i'm not gonna lie...
Spoiler: (click to show/hide)

i didn't really see this as a jump challenge :/ seeing as how i didn't do much difficult jumping

« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2010, 20:52:59 »
You could have told us it was lunatic! First "fall" was easy, falls 2-4 were really really hard, fall 5 is humanely impossible, im afraid  :/. As for the jumps... I managed the third jump first time, and then i never managed it again... also there could have been more of an ending couldnt there? Otherwise this is a playground level. Liked the general idea, anyway, and the music was cool.

Offline the Jack

• not *that* Jack!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2010, 02:55:11 »
ZOMG new Salmoneous level! ::downloads immediately::

So that's what Lunatic difficulty looks like.  :sigh:

Level needs an umbrella plz.  X-P I tried that 2nd fall like 20 times. Maybe if my left-arrow key hadn't decided to get sluggish on me today of all days.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2010, 03:09:56 by the Jack »

Actually, it's eggplant.

Offline minmay

• View Profile
    • Cow Muffins
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2010, 03:57:51 »
I don't think it's quite Lunatic, just Very Hard.

At first, the challenges and graphical style were both fairly interesting, but both felt like they could've been much more developed.  My big gripe is that with the last two jumps you basically got completely lazy and smacked down ridiculously long chains of moderate-difficulty screens with none of the eyecandy seen earlier in the level.  (The longjump land's tileset is pretty neat, by the way.)

Seems to happen a lot...

« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2010, 04:50:34 »
I personally found the fourth strafe to be harder than the fifth. (At least I think.) This level is definitely very hard. (You can't have lunatic for trick jump) It's also another one of the IWBTG type levels. You progress a bit and get to a screen, then you die. You then come back to the screen and beat it because you know how, but then you get killed on the next screen. *repeat*

Lurk more.

Offline yohji

• View Profile
    • Jashiin's Portfolio
« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2010, 10:48:35 »
This level is as if the most annoying parts of VVVVVV decided to colonize Knytt Stories. Only they couldn't get the spikes through the customs and had to settle for deadly orange surfaces instead.

The world looks and feels terrific, though, good use of music and tilesets.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2010, 10:55:16 by yohji »

Offline saba

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2010, 23:19:17 »
Yep. Basically what everyone said. Visually very pleasing but hard to the point where it's not enjoyable at all. I managed to make the first jump (I think), but then cheated all the way through. Even then it took a lot of time. Juni just kept falling and falling and falling and then I quit because there's no point in cheating all the way through.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2010, 23:20:53 by saba »

Offline lilmanjs16

• Its time for some Pixies!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 13, 2010, 20:03:37 »
this is one hard level, but it challenged me. I really liked the tilesets and I loved how my music fit with the level.
we all love each other. and thanks to those who like my dj mixes, it makes me happy:hiddenstar: thanks AClockworkLemon! makes me feel proud

« Reply #10 on: April 01, 2010, 07:07:42 »
Freakin' hard. I got to I think the third fall, and I gave up. I agree that the visuals were really nice though, I also liked the inclusion of ambiance and those red flying things. Most levels like this don't pay much attention to detail, it's refreshing to see somebody actually do it for once! Nice job.
« Last Edit: April 01, 2010, 08:20:28 by the drowning darkness »
knytt stories levels:
the forever rain

« Reply #11 on: April 03, 2010, 11:07:45 »
There's an evil addictiveness to this level that made me keep trying, as frustrating as it was, but I liked it. I don't think I've seen those tilesets before, they're really nice and suit the level well.

Then I realised that beyond the strafes there was another challenge! NO!
...But I know I'll end up playing it and trying it a thousand times until I clear it. I must be some kind of glutton for punishment.

Offline GrayFace

• View Profile
    • my site
« Reply #12 on: April 06, 2010, 15:54:58 »
Pretty and interesting at first, but monotonous. Lunatic. The music is nice.

@Purple Pineapple, it's weird how you always find it hard to do what is easy for me and easily do what is hard for me. I did the longjumps from 3rd attempt or so, but the downfalls were definitely lunatic. The main thing that defines a lunatic level for me is the number of attempts it takes to advance. Sure, presence of lunatic individual obstacles matters too, but not necessary.

« Reply #13 on: April 06, 2010, 18:48:37 »
I did the longjumps from 3rd attempt or so
That's.. O_o
Lurk more.