• 47 Replies

Offline googoogjoob

• Forum Walrus
  • The Walrus is me.
    • View Profile
    • I have a LiveJournal. Yes. I do.
Re: [Platformer] Lyle in Cube Sector
« Reply #30 on: July 12, 2009, 20:04:47 »
Anyone who dislikes a Metroid game... must burn  :crazy: I was recently introduced to the series, and I can't find a single reason to dislike them. Now, Lyle in Cube Sector... that's a different story. In my opinion, what makes it the least fun is dying so easily, and then the long game over scene. You don't die as easily as you do in IWBTG, but the game over screen is ridiculous. Anyway, Metroid is a lot cooler (you get to shoot things, among other things...). Please, don't dis Metroid, and remember that Lyle in Cube Sector may share some traits with Metroid, but not many.

I think you can skip the game over scene. Lyle in Cube Sector is a lot cooler (you get to throw cubes at things, among other things...). Lyle is a Metroidvania game, which means that it shares significant traits with Metroid and Castlevania games. Mainly, it's open-ended, and where you can go is limited only by which powerups you have.
good bye

Offline Bored2death

• My attempt at a Nurykabe Tiled room XD
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: July 12, 2009, 20:26:34 »
Anyone who dislikes a Metroid game... must burn  :crazy: I was recently introduced to the series, and I can't find a single reason to dislike them. Now, Lyle in Cube Sector... that's a different story. In my opinion, what makes it the least fun is dying so easily, and then the long game over scene. You don't die as easily as you do in IWBTG, but the game over screen is ridiculous. Anyway, Metroid is a lot cooler (you get to shoot things, among other things...). Please, don't dis Metroid, and remember that Lyle in Cube Sector may share some traits with Metroid, but not many.

I think you can skip the game over scene. Lyle in Cube Sector is a lot cooler (you get to throw cubes at things, among other things...). Lyle is a Metroidvania game, which means that it shares significant traits with Metroid and Castlevania games. Mainly, it's open-ended, and where you can go is limited only by which powerups you have.

I think it is time we [/opinions]. We will all have our favorites... Anyway... HOW do you skip the game over scene???
Spoiler: Achievements (click to show/hide)

Offline Salmoneous

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: July 12, 2009, 23:59:23 »
I love the metroidish atmosphere in this game. The challange is not frustrating, the graphics and music are nice. Only downside is that there is no checkpoints.

Offline PONTO

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: July 13, 2009, 00:02:19 »
Yeah, I'd change that about the checkpoints, especially for the bosses, and have Lyle starting with full HP on every respawn. The way it is gets too frustrating.

But I do like the game. It gets a lot more interesting when you have more powerups. I have all of them, just need to defeat that last boss, which is not easy...

Offline minmay

• View Profile
    • Cow Muffins
« Reply #34 on: July 13, 2009, 01:32:07 »
I never considered this game to be that good.  It's a good game, but it's not that good.

The physics are quite glitchy in places (e.g. kicking green cubes) and the way the saving/dying works is honestly very annoying.  That, and the boss battles are rather dull.  It also bothers me a bit that the music isn't original.
The exploration aspect, however, is implemented very well.  And the cow room, of course.

« Reply #35 on: July 13, 2009, 01:42:47 »
Oh the cow was so awesome. XD
Lurk more.

Offline Bored2death

• My attempt at a Nurykabe Tiled room XD
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: July 15, 2009, 04:33:31 »
How does that cow survive? :huh:
Spoiler: Achievements (click to show/hide)

Offline googoogjoob

• Forum Walrus
  • The Walrus is me.
    • View Profile
    • I have a LiveJournal. Yes. I do.
« Reply #37 on: July 15, 2009, 05:05:48 »

Suspension of disbelief.
good bye

Offline Pick Yer Poison

• One cool cat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: July 15, 2009, 05:43:01 »

Suspension of disbelief.
More like suspension of lava. :P

Offline TheoX

• Lost in retro.
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: July 15, 2009, 07:24:34 »
This is one of the best games ever.
agreed.  I found out about this game from the old WaDF forum!  It's since become one of my favorites, and made me want to write chiptunes.  XD
Miscellany:
My Website
My Chiptune Music
Currently: Having fun at college.

« Reply #40 on: July 15, 2009, 15:21:02 »
Ok. I just tried playing this again, but got stuck at the
Spoiler: (click to show/hide)
boss, because my monitor is screwed up, and I can't see the boss. :/
Lurk more.

Offline TheoX

• Lost in retro.
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: July 15, 2009, 17:40:35 »
You can't see the boss?  That's a very odd monitor malfunction. O_o
Miscellany:
My Website
My Chiptune Music
Currently: Having fun at college.

Offline minmay

• View Profile
    • Cow Muffins
« Reply #42 on: July 15, 2009, 22:58:08 »
I assume that his monitor cuts off the top part of the screen.  Still quite an odd monitor malfunction however.

« Reply #43 on: July 15, 2009, 23:32:50 »
It's not a hardware malfunction; I failed with my laptop and part of the screen is blacked out.
Lurk more.

« Reply #44 on: September 18, 2010, 02:24:09 »
Spoiler: (click to show/hide)
Lurk more.