[Small/Challenge/Normal] The Five Minute Hallway

• 9 Replies

Offline pfrangip

• View Profile
[Small/Challenge/Normal] The Five Minute Hallway
« on: August 10, 2015, 04:44:49 »
As part of Glorious Trainwrecks' Knytt of The Month Klub #9 Challenge: Make a Level in 2 Hours, I created The Five Minute Hallway.

It's definitely not pretty. It's probably not even fun. It was more of an exercise in some Knytt Mechanics I hadn't used before. But if you like maze-like levels, or gloomy things, or (Mark z. Danielewski's House of Leaves) you might enjoy it.

Direct download to version 2 of the level.

WARNING: There are two endings, and both are difficult to find.

Thank you!

EDIT: I've made some minor changes and released a version 2.
Spoiler: changes (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: September 07, 2015, 15:57:14 by pfrangip »

Offline Fubaka

• We are the music makers.
    • View Profile
    • My Music Page
Re: [Small/Challenge/Normal] The Five Minute Hallway
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2015, 05:51:24 »
I am ashamed to admit that I had to cheat to find the end of the maze.

Then again, that should be a compliment, since I'm awful at making mazes, and this clearly isn't an awful maze. Well done!

I also very much appreciated your choice of music, though it kind of statics out at the end.  :sick:
Things to remember when writing figures of speech and sound:
The power of poetry comes from the ability to defy logic. Defy logic often.

Use a metaphor and tell us that your lover is the sky. Tell us that your lover is the sky. When you do that, we won't believe you. We won't believe you because saying so makes no sense, but we'll see a meaning. We'll see a meaning.

The other thing is the ability to be remembered. Love anything.

Love anything

Offline Vegetal Gibber

• Sorry excuse for a game designer
    • View Profile
    • VG's Games Portfolio
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2015, 14:11:42 »
I love the creepy atmosphere of the level! It gives off an Edgar Allan Poe vibe, which is awesome. Unfortunately, I too had to resort to cheating to see the endings, as I couldn't figure out the trick to the maze. I really want to try again and solve it, though :P  I might do it later when I have some free time.

Congrats!
Some KS levels by me:

Offline pfrangip

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2015, 03:12:39 »
Thanks guys! If it makes you feel any better, no one in the IRC channel could beat it without cheating, either. I have a difficult time recognizing difficult mazes are when I make them. "I know the route, must be easy-peasy!"

@Fubaka: The music is from (among other things) 2001: A Space Odyssey. It was a fair use freeware download from The Internet Audio Archive, a great resource, but sometimes has mixed quality.

@Vegetal Gibber: I love Poe! You might like Danielewski if you like creepy/gloomy/puzzly. I swear reading his books is like trying to piece together what happened at a murder scene at a Conspiracy Theorist Convention. In a good way. Somehow.

Offline Fubaka

• We are the music makers.
    • View Profile
    • My Music Page
« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2015, 03:34:35 »
@Fubaka: The music is from (among other things) 2001: A Space Odyssey. It was a fair use freeware download from The Internet Audio Archive, a great resource, but sometimes has mixed quality.

Yep, I know that, which is why I picked up on it right away.

I could send you a fixed version. All I had to do was chop off the last 3 seconds using my music program.
Things to remember when writing figures of speech and sound:
The power of poetry comes from the ability to defy logic. Defy logic often.

Use a metaphor and tell us that your lover is the sky. Tell us that your lover is the sky. When you do that, we won't believe you. We won't believe you because saying so makes no sense, but we'll see a meaning. We'll see a meaning.

The other thing is the ability to be remembered. Love anything.

Love anything

Offline pfrangip

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2015, 13:05:52 »

Yep, I know that, which is why I picked up on it right away.

I could send you a fixed version. All I had to do was chop off the last 3 seconds using my music program.

Yeah, actually, I would appreciate that!

I think I will add it to a v2, and also make the maze slightly easier by adding some difference to the "correct" screens.

Offline pfrangip

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2015, 15:58:21 »
Version 2 of this has been uploaded. Link and release notes have been added to the OP. Thanks to Fubaka for fixing the music!

Offline Vegetal Gibber

• Sorry excuse for a game designer
    • View Profile
    • VG's Games Portfolio
« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2015, 01:09:44 »
That did the trick for me. This time, I was able to find both endings without resorting to cheating.

Spoiler: Tales of confusion (click to show/hide)
Some KS levels by me:

Offline McGloomy

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 17, 2015, 19:24:57 »
Thanks for the update, now I finally made it through the hallway, too. Still wondering how it got there in the first place...  8)

Offline Purple Ink

• View Profile
    • My lore forum
« Reply #9 on: October 09, 2015, 03:25:14 »
This level confused me for a little bit. Finally found both endings. Great idea for a level.