The Snow Day [Small/Challenge/Scenic]

• 14 Replies

Offline pfrangip

• View Profile
The Snow Day [Small/Challenge/Scenic]
« on: March 10, 2016, 03:09:34 »
Back in January, my home of Virginia had quite a few snowy days. Consequently, I was inspired to make The Snow Day. It was partially inspired by Raymond Briggs' The Snowman.

Download Version 2 here.

Enjoy!  :)

Spoiler: Secrets (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Credits (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: EDIT: Version 2 is up! (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: April 09, 2016, 21:34:55 by pfrangip »

Offline Fubaka

• We are the music makers.
    • View Profile
    • My Music Page
Re: The Snow Day [Small/Challenge/Scenic]
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2016, 04:42:41 »
Another nice level. I liked how you used multiple covers of the song.

Some of the jumps were pretty tough. Perhaps tougher than most people would like.
Things to remember when writing figures of speech and sound:
The power of poetry comes from the ability to defy logic. Defy logic often.

Use a metaphor and tell us that your lover is the sky. Tell us that your lover is the sky. When you do that, we won't believe you. We won't believe you because saying so makes no sense, but we'll see a meaning. We'll see a meaning.

The other thing is the ability to be remembered. Love anything.

Love anything

Offline Purple Ink

• View Profile
    • My lore forum
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2016, 06:12:51 »
Great level. I also liked the different arrangements of the song used in the level.

Offline sergiocornaga

• View Profile
    • Sergio's Games
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2016, 12:03:04 »
I liked playing this a lot. The atmosphere was lovely, and the narrative elements were just enigmatic enough to be intriguing.

Offline Vegetal Gibber

• Sorry excuse for a game designer
    • View Profile
    • VG's Games Portfolio
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2016, 14:44:21 »
I enjoyed this a lot! Loved the snowy theme, the plot and the choice of background music. Some of the jumps were indeed, as Fubaka predicted, a bit too tight for my tastes (specially in the icy cave area), but there were enough save points to compensate for this. Overall, a really nice small level :)

Some KS levels by me:

Offline CWolvie

• Expect the unexpected.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2016, 17:32:55 »
Very good level. The snow will always be the best theme for a level. :D
Finished levels:
(my first try)

“Oh heart, if one should say to you that the soul perishes like the body, answer that the flower withers, but the seed remains.” ~ Khalil Gibran

Offline pfrangip

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2016, 16:02:58 »
Thanks much for the praise, all. As I keep saying time and time again, I love how supportive this community is.   C)

Spoiler: (click to show/hide)

Offline sergiocornaga

• View Profile
    • Sergio's Games
« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2016, 17:27:12 »
I would appreciate anything you can do for my other tracks, and I'll release a "cleaner" V2.  :D

If you're considering an update, here's another pet peeve of mine: the border of the game window is visible in your cutscenes. I see this in a lot of levels, probably because windowed vanilla KS crops the outer pixel border. This means not only will the issue go unseen, any screenshots taken will be slightly too small to be cutscene graphics. I believe this issue is fixed in KS+...

Armed with Photoshop's handy content-aware fill tool, I fixed all the ones in this level as best as I could. You can see my handiwork here:

Spoiler: Ending spoilers! (click to show/hide)
Download them all in a handy zip file here.

If there are no problems, I'd love it if you could include these with the updated level.

Edit: Oh yeah, you can also delete "Tileset9 - Copy" from the Tilesets folder.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2016, 17:39:31 by sergiocornaga »

Offline egomassive

• View Profile
    • egomassive games
« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2016, 05:53:49 »
... windowed vanilla KS crops the outer pixel border. ... I believe this issue is fixed in KS+...
Yes, KS+ forces Windows to show the whole screen no matter which version of Windows you use --border intrusion varies from one to another. It's an elegant little fix devised by that Jamie guy who's always helping Nifflas program. A good workflow for turning screen captures into cutscenes is to open the screen in question at 100% zoom with the cinema mode enabled. Print-screen to the clipboard. Paste in a photo-editor. Auto-select the black boarder. Invert the selection and crop to selection. The result should be a perfectly sized, 600x240, image. [/fun facts]

I enjoyed the level by the way. I like winter levels too, mainly because I get to see my winter tilesets being used. C) Although you see it from time to time, I'm not convinced Q.C.'s graphics are for public use. I'd be careful about that if I were you. I'd hate to see someone poor their heart into a project and have it ruined by a copyright claim.

Offline sergiocornaga

• View Profile
    • Sergio's Games
« Reply #9 on: March 13, 2016, 06:44:18 »
Although you see it from time to time, I'm not convinced Q.C.'s graphics are for public use.

He gave his blessing to a few levels around 2007-2010 and has generally seemed receptive to reuse, so I wouldn't worry too much about it. Maybe he'd provide a blanket public use statement if contacted, but I'd rather not bother him without specific cause.

Offline McGloomy

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 19, 2016, 13:53:44 »
I loved how your level started out pretty and environmental, became a bit challenging later on, turned a little creepy and finally ended on an emotional note. This constant change of atmosphere was really intriguing.

What I like most about your levels (like "Tower of Joy") is that dream-like, slightly melancholic feeling. I'm looking forward to your next levels!  :)

Offline pfrangip

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 09, 2016, 21:40:32 »
EDIT: Version 2 is up!
Special thanks to Sergio Cornaga for fixing the end credits!
Special thanks to Vegetal Gibber for fixing the music!

Download Version 2 here.

Offline Vegetal Gibber

• Sorry excuse for a game designer
    • View Profile
    • VG's Games Portfolio
« Reply #12 on: April 12, 2016, 17:53:00 »
Played the new version. Thanks for the little homage at the end! :P2
Some KS levels by me:

Offline SC

• Ha-ha-ha! Videogames! *laugh track*
    • View Profile
    • My personal website!
« Reply #13 on: May 06, 2016, 18:55:20 »
REALLY great short level! I love the atmosphere/music selection a LOT. Was kind of chilling near the end. <3

Offline Fred

• Don't give up, skeleton!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 14, 2017, 18:40:29 »
Hello, I just loved the atmosphere of this level, I also fell in love with the music  <3 <3 <3
I especially loved the end  ;) it was very beautiful