Epic KS Level Competition

• 95 Replies

Offline sergiocornaga

• View Profile
    • Sergio's Games
Epic KS Level Competition
« on: May 12, 2012, 17:06:27 »
Both submission and voting for this competition have ended! Without further ado, here are the results!

In 6th place:
toenail - The World is Changing with 24 points!

In 5th place:
Purple Ink - The Tree of Life with 40 points!

In 4th place:
ixMarcel - The Tower of Lightning with 41 points!

In 3rd place:
SecretGlitch - Dark Sea 2 with 62 points!

In 2nd place:
Fubaka - Cosmic Meltdown with 69 points!

In 1st place:
Talps - I Dreamed of the Sky with 78 points!

Congratulations to all participants! Prizes have been sent out, which truly draws this competition to a close. Hopefully you all enjoyed it as much as I did. Perhaps the competition will return some day.

« Last Edit: April 08, 2013, 13:13:46 by sergiocornaga »

Offline Headgrinder

• Smart Steel Polisher
    • View Profile
    • www.matthewepperson.wordpress.com
Re: Epic KS Level Competition
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2012, 21:11:46 »
I think it is a great idea, but I know I am probably not going to enter, what with a small level still to finish as well as a medium that I expect will take me a year.  :P

Offline Raicuparta

• Rai
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2012, 21:28:00 »
I really want to make a level like this some day, but its too hard to predict if it would ever be finished.
I'll certainly try, and if I can come up with an interesting concept, I'll try it. From what I learned with KS so far, the hardest part is finding ways to prevent myself from losing interest, and at the level of epicness you seem to be aiming at, it could be quite a challenge for me.
I hope that more people show interest, maybe this thread could be used to share some status posts and discussing our levels, to keep the knytters and everyone else interested.

Offline BeamishBoy

• And has thou slain the Jabberwock?
    • View Profile
    • Ball With Hat
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2012, 21:50:03 »
I'd love to try; seeing as I've only made mini-levels in the past, it would probably be smarter for me to start off by making some medium-sized levels first. If I do so and feel comfortable with the size, I'd probably start something for this challenge.

If people are planning to do this challenge, I'd support their posting updates here to help with the motivation side of things (both for them and for us lazy people reading their updates.)

Cool idea!
BeamishBoy

Offline Healy

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2012, 01:33:09 »
I have a question: would games you already released a demo for be eligible? I have two games that I released demos for that I might finish for this.

Offline sergiocornaga

• View Profile
    • Sergio's Games
« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2012, 03:24:18 »
I have a question: would games you already released a demo for be eligible? I have two games that I released demos for that I might finish for this.

That's totally OK by me.

Offline ixMarcel

• I'll get you during my next save game!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2012, 07:56:26 »
I want to make an epic story, but not now. I'm having troubles with making The Tower of Lightning. My computer is horrible... I will make an Epic Story after releasing current level.

Offline egomassive

• View Profile
    • egomassive games
« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2012, 18:57:34 »
I'm in. I've already started making it, and I've been planning to make it since my last epic level, A Knytt in Time. Here's the preview thread for The Tree of Knowledge. My goal is to complete it before Knytt Within a Deep Forest which Should be well before this deadline. However, I've lately been distracted by the creation of a level editor. We'll see how it goes.

« Reply #8 on: May 15, 2012, 21:51:24 »
I'll sure give it a shot. :)

Offline egomassive

• View Profile
    • egomassive games
« Reply #9 on: May 16, 2012, 07:00:18 »
Welcome to the forum Klavierspieler. Have you made a Knytt Stories level before? Most people don't have success making large levels on their first attempt, but it has happened. Good luck with the level and the competition.

Offline Talps

• ...especially in a life-or-death situation!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 17, 2012, 00:08:05 »
Hmm, well I'm close to finishing 'I Dreamed of the Sky', and I have three other things I'd like to work on. Can I enter more than one level? (Since it's nearly done, I'd like to enter 'I Dreamed of the Sky', but it'd also be nice to have some motivation to get the others done).

In the spirit of the endeavour, I might try and complete the two-thirds-done epic I never finished but developed between 'Eurydice' and 'I Dreamed'.

Offline sergiocornaga

• View Profile
    • Sergio's Games
« Reply #11 on: May 17, 2012, 05:23:07 »
Hmm, well I'm close to finishing 'I Dreamed of the Sky', and I have three other things I'd like to work on. Can I enter more than one level?

You sure can.

« Reply #12 on: May 18, 2012, 02:44:46 »
I don't know if this would be considered acceptable since it was mostly done when this competition was started, but if it is then I suppose I unintentionally have an entry for this, Dark Sea 2.

I was unaware that this was going on, but since I coincidentally just finished a giant level, why not enter?
SG's difficult KS levels:
Very Hard: Dark Sea, Industral Trap.
Lunatic: Dark Sea 2, Going Left.
Very Lunatic: Safety 1, 2, and 3.
Misc: AdvancedAmidst the Clouds, Candy Town.

« Reply #13 on: May 19, 2012, 01:13:41 »
Welcome to the forum Klavierspieler. Have you made a Knytt Stories level before? Most people don't have success making large levels on their first attempt, but it has happened. Good luck with the level and the competition.

Thank you!

I have made Knytt Stories levels before. However, I'm not sure, on beginning an epic-sized project, that I want to do this anyway: I like having a real life.

Offline toenail

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 20, 2012, 16:03:15 »
Like SecretGlitch, my level was mostly done when I first saw your competition.
Is it eligible ?